Boost Gauge or P3 VIDI

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 07:06 PM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jdubbya
WELL......pulled the vent and installed the VIDI tonight. Not a bad job to get just that done. Took me a couple minutes to figure out how to get the vanes out of the vent so I could install the gauge. But it's not bad.
Where did you pull the 1/8" vacuum hose through the firewall?

The bad news is it doesn't seem to work....at all. I tried plugging and unplugging it several times but to no avail. All I got was a little blinking light that the "quick start guide" says should only blink for about 45 seconds before it starts working normally. It just never did start working.
Hmm.. this is the same issue I am having on the 957. I will report this info back to P3Cars. What year Cayenne do you have again?

Old 01-11-2015, 11:59 PM
jdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Renaissance.Man
Where did you pull the 1/8" vacuum hose through the firewall?

Hmm.. this is the same issue I am having on the 957. I will report this info back to P3Cars. What year Cayenne do you have again?

I didn't run the hose yet but I think it should work without it. Did you run yours already? I was still trying to figure out where to hook the T in at. Mine is a 2005.

Messed most of today with boost leak fun. What a pain.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:02 AM
Renaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond reputeRenaissance.Man has a reputation beyond repute
I didn't run the hose yet but I think it should work without it. Did you run yours already? I was still trying to figure out where to hook the T in at. Mine is a 2005.
I didn't install mine yet since I wanted to test it first to make sure there were no issues. So I am waiting on the 957 update before completing my writeup with pics. I planned on intercepting the 6mm vacuum hose on one of the diverter valves for the boost tap.

From what I understand, you do not need the vacuum hose connected to use the non-boost related features of the gauge.

Also, I have forwarded your issue to P3cars and just got confirmation that they are looking into it.

Messed most of today with boost leak fun. What a pain.
PM me if you need help on this.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:13 PM
jdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to beholdjdubbya is a splendid one to behold
I didn't install mine yet since I wanted to test it first to make sure there were no issues. So I am waiting on the 957 update before completing my writeup with pics. I planned on intercepting the 6mm vacuum hose on one of the diverter valves for the boost tap.

From what I understand, you do not need the vacuum hose connected to use the non-boost related features of the gauge.

Also, I have forwarded your issue to P3cars and just got confirmation that they are looking into it.

PM me if you need help on this.
The line for the diverter valve was about the only practical spot I could see too. No idea how to get it through the firewall though. I might take a look at that tonight while I'm under the dash looking at this again.

Thanks for the info and I'll be sending a PM about boost leak later.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:11 AM
Thanks for including me in your communication with the guys at P3cars. Did the trick they mentioned in the email and it's working now. Will report back more after getting a chance to drive some. Probably tomorrow night.

Oh, and I looked while I was under there tonight, man I don't know where to feed the hose through. Will do some more investigating later. There are a couple wire bundles up under the fender behind the power steering reservoir but they are gonna be tough to get to and I have no idea where they come out on the inside.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:39 AM
Well this thing is pretty cool but doesn't quite seem to be fully functional. The boost setting somehow shows negative values that do change but only goes to zero and stays there as the boost comes in.

The air temp and timing setting don't seem to show anything either, both just sit at "0". Other than that it seems to work pretty well and looks good. It is very bright at night but can be dimmed. One of the wires is supposed to hook in somehow to the lights and auto dim but I haven't found any instructions on how or where to hook that in yet.

More detailed instructions would sure be nice. All that came with mine was a quick start guide that shows the basics of operating it (which I left sitting in the garage when I went for a drive last night).

If we can figure out where to run the tube through the firewall to get actual boost readings this thing will be pretty cool.

Old 01-15-2015, 03:56 PM
TT VIPER will become famous soon enough
Is this what you are asking to run boost line through the firewall?

Name:  IMG_1800_zps8746d20c.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  185.0 KB

Old 01-15-2015, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by TT VIPER
Is this what you are asking to run boost line through the firewall?

Yes sir! Where is that? Please don't tell me passenger side. I'm going to look at the wire bundles that go in under the driver's side fender. I'm not sure where they come out inside though and if I can get to it.

Any help will be appreciated!!

Old 01-15-2015, 05:11 PM
TT VIPER will become famous soon enough
Yes sir! Where is that? Please don't tell me passenger side. I'm going to look at the wire bundles that go in under the driver's side fender. I'm not sure where they come out inside though and if I can get to it.

Any help will be appreciated!!
Well, let me start by saying it's not on the passenger side. It's on the driver side but it's not easy to get to. I will take more pictures tomorrow showing its exact location.

I'm glad to help.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:08 PM
OK I found the spot you were talking about. After a few missed tries and one pair of scissors dropped under the fuse panel I have a route ready. The only problem is there is nowhere near enough hose that came with the gauge to make the total run.

I'm done for tonight so will grab some more hose tomorrow and run it. Once you figure it out it won't be bad. I'll try to take pics but the areas are hard to get to. Can't wait to get this thing running.

I haven't heard back from P3 guys yet about the non-functioning intake temp and timing but I'll try to get in touch with them again next week.

Old 01-17-2015, 11:52 PM
Had some fun today running the hose. I'm posting some pics here but it's really hard to get a decent shot it's so tight. The pic TTviper posted above gave me the clue I needed because I could see the brake booster in the corner.

So here is what I did. Take the small cover over the brake reservoir off and you can look in behind it almost to the center of the car. You should see something that looks like TTvipers pic and one of mine. I noticed there was a rubber nipple sticking out of the top. I took a piece of wire and went in under the dash and found a hole in the same area. Inside it is just about right above the gas pedal. Hard to get to and hard to see. I was on my back and looking right to the inside of the fuse panel.

I cut the tip off the nipple and was able to thread a piece of weed-eater line through. That's the orange bit in the pic.

Then it was "simply" a matter of threading the plastic vacuum line through it and hooking both ends up. After coming out of the nipple I threaded it around stuff and through a little hole right where the hood strut is.Then back under the fender and down behind the airbox and headlight and "T"'d into the vacuum line for the left diverter valve.

You need to switch the P3 boost setting from digital to analog and then calibrate it. Pretty easy.

And the result is IT WORKS. I still need to play with it some more mine is set on single digit display now and I think I want more resolution.

Don't know why but the pics were showing up sideways and upside down but got em straight now.

I also heard back from the P3 guys with a couple suggestions for the intake temp and ignition. Still didn't work but they are going to keep working on it.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20150117_131242.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	412149   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150117_131658.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	2.64 MB
ID:	412152   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150117_131522.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	412154   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150117_131330.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	412156  

Last edited by jdubbya; 01-18-2015 at 12:21 AM.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:13 AM
mrbrianc is just really nicemrbrianc is just really nicemrbrianc is just really nicemrbrianc is just really nice
I also heard back from the P3 guys with a couple suggestions for the intake temp and ignition. Still didn't work but they are going to keep working on it.
Any update on this from the P3 guys yet?

Old 02-24-2015, 07:22 AM
Originally Posted by mrbrianc
Any update on this from the P3 guys yet?
I do not want to speak for John, but we have had many conversations offline about the P3cars gauge. We have both resolved our issues and have it fully working.

I am overdue to do a full writeup for the 957 platform. I took many pictures during the install, which should help you out, if you are thinking about purchasing one. I will try to get that writeup done this week.

By the way, according to your signature, since when do you have two Cayenne 957s?

Old 02-24-2015, 09:24 AM
mrbrianc is just really nicemrbrianc is just really nicemrbrianc is just really nicemrbrianc is just really nice

I am overdue to do a full writeup for the 957 platform. I took many pictures during the install, which should help you out, if you are thinking about purchasing one. I will try to get that writeup done this week.

By the way, according to your signature, since when do you have two Cayenne 957s?
Thanks that would be great....thanks for always leading the way!

I purchased the first 957 CS for my wife in 2009 after trading in her 2005 CS with 240k miles. I do the maintenance & tweaks myself, so I have most of the tools & Durametric...etc. I liked it enough to get one myself with some more power, so I got a great deal on a very low milage CTTS in Dec. 2013. Absolutely love it & can't think of another I would rather have, especially with the upgrades, which I have followed suit on many of your projects...;-)

Old 02-24-2015, 02:32 PM
I keep forgetting to get back with them. I'm still having issues with the intake temp and ignition readouts. They work if I start the car then shut of the gauge and restart it. But right off the bat they are still blank for some reason?

Other than that it works great and is pretty cool.

Thanks for reminding me though I'll email them again.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Boost Gauge or P3 VIDI