Yelliw bang in speed o dial

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 09:48 PM
pithhelmet is an unknown quantity at this point
Yelliw bang in speed o dial

Was driving home tonight... the engine symbol lit up, the yellow bang also lit up. turn signals stopped working... and here is the big one, the battery charge indicator started pointing way left on the dial.

the headlights work, brake lights work, radio works, horn does not work.

when i parked at pep boys to borrow the engine diagnostic tool (they did not have it... it was stolen) but the car would not start... very slow turn over, like battery was dead. purchased a booster, gave it a jump and she started right up, but same lights were active as before the shutdown.

lets start with the battery gauge is all the way to the left, but the accessories and engine are still working. would this indicate the alternator is putting out the juice, but further down the pipe, something is not allowing the juice to charge the battery??

thanks tony

Old 09-24-2017, 08:51 AM
richie996 will become famous soon enoughrichie996 will become famous soon enough
Did they test the battery? Slow turnover on start leads me to believe a bad/dying battery.

Old 09-25-2017, 05:08 PM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
Something is amiss in the charging circuit. Most likely candidate is the alternator - but at the price of them I'd want to be certain that's the issue first. Depending on the year and model (hint: Tony - you'll get better answers to questions if you provide better information in the posting asking the question..) the alternator may be water cooled and rather a project to replace.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.