Chicago A Regional 6speedonline enthusiast member group.

Car was just smashed into...radar detector and nuvi both gone...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 04:51 PM
Karrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to all
Car was just smashed into...radar detector and nuvi both gone...

I'm in Lincoln Park for the summer and am renting a spot in a locked and secured garage. There are cameras around and everything. The garage has about 20 other nice cars (read Lexus, Benz's etc). However, mine was the only one busted up. They even got into the complex and stole the recorder for the security cameras. I think it was an inside job, but we will see.

Either way, the passenger side window is shattered, the inside door panel is all scratched up (full leather interior) and when I was trying to get glass out of the seats, they are getting all scratched up. Will insurance cover this? Who should I take my car too in the morning if its not raining? Right now all I can think of is a dealer and I have had my car at Loeber before. Will they acknowledge that I want $$ for seats and the panel and everything else? My car was perfect before this without a single blemish so this is really eating at me. The only way I can turn this into a sort of good situation is to use some of the money to get myself the GT3 seats I have really wanted

Any advice appreciated. TIA

Old 06-09-2008, 06:43 AM
mathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry to hear about this.
That will definitely be covered by your insurance. Start a claim right away. Give a copy of your rental agreement with the garage to your adjuster. If there is any chance of them subrogating against the garage for lack of security, they will. Also, file a police report. Not that they are going to do anything, but you'll need it for the insurance claim.

As you're dealing with the claim, make sure you tell the body shop you want EVERYTHING replaced. It will be important for them to tell the ins co that the leather seats are ruined, door panels, etc. Be pushy w/ the adjuster -- they'll pay.

Good luck.

Old 06-09-2008, 03:46 PM
SellLow has a spectacular aura aboutSellLow has a spectacular aura aboutSellLow has a spectacular aura about
damn

what garage in LP was that? i live in LP

Old 06-09-2008, 04:00 PM
JayFunk is a jewel in the roughJayFunk is a jewel in the roughJayFunk is a jewel in the rough
damm that sucks homie. I too was a victim of hate and got a HUGE brick through my windshield that then bounced off and hit the hood and fender. tell the body shop to claim all that and you should be ok. what insurance company do you have?

Old 06-09-2008, 04:10 PM
speedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud ofspeedoflight has much to be proud of
that sucks. hindsight is always 20/20. put them out of sight when park.

comprehensive insurance will cover it.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:57 PM
Karrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to all
Thanks for the info guys...Ill keep that all in mind. SellLow, its near Racine and Armitage...Im obviously looking for a new spot.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:57 AM
mathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond reputemathism has a reputation beyond repute
Great point - ALWAYS put your electronics out of sight. It is only a 2 minute job to bust a window and grap a couple hundred dollars worth of electronics from a dash. I hide all my cables and items EVERY TIME I park the car.

Old 06-10-2008, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by mathism
Great point - ALWAYS put your electronics out of sight. It is only a 2 minute job to bust a window and grap a couple hundred dollars worth of electronics from a dash. I hide all my cables and items EVERY TIME I park the car.
They were in the glovebox which is why I think someone working there has been casing the joint and knew I had them. There are 20 other cars in there and they had suction cup marks too...

Old 06-10-2008, 08:40 PM
JayFunk is a jewel in the roughJayFunk is a jewel in the roughJayFunk is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Karrera4
Thanks for the info guys...Ill keep that all in mind. SellLow, its near Racine and Armitage...Im obviously looking for a new spot.
thats a pretty good area, but crime can happen anywhere. sucks man sorry to hear.

hey math, i never see you in the city, your C2 is looking pretty dope, where you at?

Old 06-11-2008, 12:14 AM
Dino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really nice
Sorry to hear!
Your insurance should cover all of it, but it still sucks.
I hope all goes well for you.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:46 AM
Jay - Thanks for the comment. I've never had that car downtown. I'm way up north near Gurnee.

Old 06-11-2008, 01:30 PM
insurance is covering everything but the nuvi and detector...stating that it is part of homeowners ins and i have a 1K deductible with that so its a wash.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:35 PM
99C2 is on a distinguished road
Karrera4:

Sorry to hear this...

99C2

Old 06-11-2008, 08:42 PM
Check your auto policy again. Most carriers have added some coverage for portable electronic devices. It may require them to be "installed" in the vehicle. Don't let them push that back on your HO so easily. They should cite a specific section of your policy that excludes the coverage in writing.