Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

OK, Detailing Products...what are Your top 3 Brand Recommendations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 04:34 PM
GCB
GCB is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ToddHelme
Yes, I order pretty much online...

For OTC, Duragloss is about as good as it gets (and again performs very well).

While Vintage is the best I have personally used, I have heard nothing but great things about Swissvax, and there line is generally cheaper.

Also, the new P21s 100% Carnuaba wax is priced at 50 or dollars, features the highest carnuaba content on the market, at least 95 percent as good as Vintage for 1/35 the price.

You can expect Vintage to last 2-3 months if you car is used reguarly, while P21s is good for 4-6 weeks. So it will need more frequent upkeep, but at the huge price difference almost makes that redundent, IMO.

Also Chemical Guy's Pete's 53 is an amazing wax with a solid 2-3 months of durablity and cost about the same as P21s, so that could be a good option as well.
--------------------------------------

ToddHelme...
sorry I asked the wrong user a moment ago. I really congratulate you on your comments regarding wanting to help the public understand quality detailing as well as the product for the best results. Awesome job on the Ferrari!

Will you please comment on the products Can you please share what products you used start to finish on it. I've been experimenting lately with many different products myself trying to get the best finish look to my gray porsche.

I've been talking a lot with Moe at Glistening perfection. He is amazing and really helpful as well with products and suggestions. But I'm really curious about your take on products and preferences. Particularily on the paint. I have an Porsche meteor gray '08 arriving in about a week and will detail it when arrives.

Curious also about your thoughts between organic/pure waxes like Zymol, PS21,etc.. (depth, glow) versus synthentics (wet, mirror, reflective). I understand the subtle differences in outcomes, but would like to hear your thoughts and recommendations.

Here is what I've used and/or experiemented with lately. I have been a Zymol fan and user for so many years, but wanted to test some other products... Thank you for your time.

Wash: Zymol Clear
Wheel Wash: Zymol Gel wheel wash
Zymol wheel coat
Tires: Zymol Tyre preserve
Interior: Autoglym interior cleaner
Klay: Lehm Klay ll
Polish: Menzerna Super Intensive Polish
Menzerna Nano Polish
Paint Cleaner: HD-Cleanse
Wax: Zymol Concours
other products/waxes I tried: Einszett Perls Shampoo
Einszett Glanz Wax
Einszett Detail Spray lackfinish
also tried RejeX

Old 03-13-2008, 04:19 PM
VEPA is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ToddHelme
Wow dude, that's GREAT that you are having so much success. As you know, I never hold back product information and really dedicate much of my time to trying to help out as many detailers as I can. (Sometimes I end up helping the competition but that is another story :P). M105 is really an amazing product and I'm shocked (because it is Meguiars, which isn't boutique) at how well it works.

M105 works awesome on new Ferrari's. Brian and I did an F430 a couple days ago (one that had been polished perviously but was torn up from the track) and used M105 on a LC White Pad to remove 90 percent of the defects, and leave a *near* LSP ready finish. In hindsight, I would have probably skipped the white pad and gone started with a purple wool pad to keep the heat down and grab a little more cut. Even with purple wool and a compound, you can finish with a blue/grey LC pad (or Meg's Solo Finishing or standard finishing) and a final polish and be near flawless. Nothing cuts faster, cleaner, and leaves a better finish behind (realitive) IME.

Here are a couple pictures from the F430...

Sorry for the overexposure in the first picture, I take all my photos in manual mode and I should have dialed in more apeture..

Very Very Nice!!

Old 03-14-2008, 09:45 AM
Banned
ToddHelme is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by GCB
ToddHelme...
sorry I asked the wrong user a moment ago. I really congratulate you on your comments regarding wanting to help the public understand quality detailing as well as the product for the best results. Awesome job on the Ferrari!
Thank you for the compliments!

Will you please comment on the products Can you please share what products you used start to finish on it. I've been experimenting lately with many different products myself trying to get the best finish look to my gray porsche.
-I "think" we washed with with Zaino Z7
-Polished with Meguiars M105 on a Lake Country Polishing Pad (White CCS)
-Polished with Menzerna PO85rd on a Meguiars Solo Finishing Pad
(both by rotary polisher)
-A lot of "spot" polishing with 4 inch pads (Lake Country Orange/White/Blue)
to get in all the tight areas
-Rewash with P21s Total Body wash
-Jeff Werkstatt Prime Strong via Rotary (Lake Country Blue CCS pad)
-Jeff Werkstatt AC Trigger x 2
-Pinnacle Souveran

Wheels where cleaned with Z7 and various brushes, sealed with PoorBoys Wheel Sealant

Tires where cleaned with Meguiars's APC 4:1, dressed with ClearKote Dressing

Window's cleaned with Meguiars Proline Window Cleaner

Glass recieved Zaino AIO, topped with Werkstatt AC Trigger

I've been talking a lot with Moe at Glistening perfection. He is amazing and really helpful as well with products and suggestions. But I'm really curious about your take on products and preferences. Particularily on the paint. I have an Porsche meteor gray '08 arriving in about a week and will detail it when arrives.
Curious also about your thoughts between organic/pure waxes like Zymol, PS21,etc.. (depth, glow) versus synthentics (wet, mirror, reflective). I understand the subtle differences in outcomes, but would like to hear your thoughts and recommendations.
I think on Porsche paint, you are going to be better off with a wax, over a sealant. I wouldn't get to caught on the whole "natural/organic" stuff, its marketing hype and really means nothing, IMO. Remember, Zymol will also tell you to use Ital on Ferrari's and their German wax on Mercedes, although both have have PPG CC paint.

The reason I think you are better off with a wax is because waxes (nuba is not clear) distort light which acts to create the illusion of depth. This distortion also "hides" or makes imperfections in the paint less visible. Zaino is optically clear, and while its look is more pure, it can act to highlight imperfections. Given the soft base of Porsche clear coat and tint of your color, I would think you would be better off with something more forgivening.

You could use one of my favorite combos, which is the Jeff Werkstatt twins topped with a carnuaba, as IMO, it gives a great look that is hard to beat. Here is a picture of silver (and we know how Silver doesn't reflect, right) 360 will the Werkstatt twins topped with a 'nuba.

Name:  a148.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  111.0 KB

Here is what I've used and/or experiemented with lately. I have been a Zymol fan and user for so many years, but wanted to test some other products... Thank you for your time.
Your welcome, and one thing to keep in mind. Most quality products (all you have listed are quality) tend to work very well. I know its fun to chase the best thing (and very fun for me because this is what I get paid to do) but if your happy with the results and comfortable using the products (so that you get the best results) then that is all that matters.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:09 PM
gretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond reputegretapass has a reputation beyond repute
First of all, the Ferrari and the silver Porsche you did both look amazing and I can see the different look you so clearly explained - thank you. I am also in a state of confusion as to what products and process I should go with on my new Porsche 997TT that I will take delivery of next month. I would very much appreciate your suggestions and opinion on a WHITE turbo, please? Pictures? Thank you.