Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Wax and sealant

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 08:38 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Wax and sealant

Can you layer a sealant on top of a coat of carnuaba? I meant to apply some Jetseal before I put on a coat of wax but forgot. Will it still 'bond' if I put it on top of wax?

Old 01-03-2010, 09:54 PM
Former Vendor
Detailed Image will become famous soon enoughDetailed Image will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by bonehead
Can you layer a sealant on top of a coat of carnuaba? I meant to apply some Jetseal before I put on a coat of wax but forgot. Will it still 'bond' if I put it on top of wax?
A sealant won't properly bond to a carnauba wax. Your best bet for maximum results would be to strip off the wax (using isopropyl alcohol or a protection stripping shampoo), then apply Jetseal, allow that to cure for 24 hours, then top with the wax. That will give you the maximum durability topped with the carnauba wax depth and gloss.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:55 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Dammit. I was afraid of that. Thanks for the reply!

Old 01-11-2010, 12:39 PM
Ok, same topic, different question. Washed the car again this weekend. CG Citrus to remove the wax layer. Reclayed again (b/c I'm OCD), glaze (yeah, no polish again), 2 coats of Jetseal.

Now, what is the opinion on applying a carnuaba on top of the sealant? Waste of time?

Second, I assume the sealant will remain after a few rewashes? 3-3.5 months is what I've heard/read.

Thanks.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:34 PM
Former Vendor
detailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to beholddetailjohn is a splendid one to behold
I always recommend to top with a good carnauba wax, especially on a black car. Even Jetseal doesn't offer the quality shine like a good carnauba.

John

Old 01-11-2010, 09:19 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by detailjohn
I always recommend to top with a good carnauba wax, especially on a black car. Even Jetseal doesn't offer the quality shine like a good carnauba.

John
+1...I agree.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:21 PM
^^thanks guys. I applied the jetseal to the clear bra areas. I assume that was a total waste, right?

As far as a wax, I use Swissvax Zuffenhausen. Is that okay to use on the clearbra or should I go for some type of spray-on wax?

Old 01-14-2010, 06:53 PM
Premium Sponsor
GlisteningTech is on a distinguished road
^^ The Zuffenhausen will work just fine on your clear bra. It is just important to remember that you can only use waxes with bleached carnauba, otherwise it will discolor the clear film.

As far as the steps that you took when applying the Jetseal, you want to put it over as bare of a paint surface as possible. It is good that you cleaned it first with the CG Citrus to remove any residual wax layer, but adding the glaze before the Jetseal can be problematic.

A glaze's primary purpose is cosmetic. It is designed to hide defects and increase depth and shine. These are obviously good. But the heavy oil base that makes it work well as a cosmetic enhancement is negative in terms of its impact on the bonding quality of protective layers like Jetseal or Collinite.

The sealant is designed to work best when used on a virgin clearcoat, that is why we take such care to remove any polishing oils before applying our protection, it increases the quality of the bond between the protectant and your clearcoat. By applying the Glaze before the Jetseal, I think that you may have compromised that bond, and thus the longevity of its protection.

The only change that you need to make is your order in the layering process. Hit it with the Jetseal first, on your bare clearcoat. Then apply your glaze, and wax over it. That way you are getting the absolute most out of all the products that you are using, both in terms of their protection and cosmetically as well.

Last edited by GlisteningTech; 01-14-2010 at 06:56 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by GlisteningTech
^^ The Zuffenhausen will work just fine on your clear bra. It is just important to remember that you can only use waxes with bleached carnauba, otherwise it will discolor the clear film.

As far as the steps that you took when applying the Jetseal, you want to put it over as bare of a paint surface as possible. It is good that you cleaned it first with the CG Citrus to remove any residual wax layer, but adding the glaze before the Jetseal can be problematic.

A glaze's primary purpose is cosmetic. It is designed to hide defects and increase depth and shine. These are obviously good.

The sealant is designed to work best when used on a virgin clearcoat, that is why we take such care to remove any polishing oils before applying our protection, it increases the quality of the bond between the protectant and your clearcoat. By applying the Glaze before the Jetseal, I think that you may have compromised that bond, and thus the longevity of its protection.

The only change that you need to make is your order in the layering process. Hit it with the Jetseal first, on your bare clearcoat. Then apply your glaze, and wax over it. That way you are getting the absolute most out of all the products that you are using, both in terms of their protection and cosmetically as well.
Doh! Thanks for your input. Just wish it was a few days earlier.

I applied a layer of the glaze followed by 2 coats of Jetseal. Please don't tell me I wasted all that time.....

Old 01-14-2010, 06:59 PM
Premium Sponsor
GlisteningTech is on a distinguished road
^^ Don't worry, it isn't a waste at all. You are still getting all the protection provided by those layers, it simply won't last as long as it would have should you applied it first.

Think of it this way, the glaze is probably the weakest link in that chain, so it will be stripped away as quickly as the glaze allows. If you would have put the Jetseal first, it would last as long as it can, rather than only as long as the glaze lets it.

Don't worry about it though, when you notice the paint doesn't bead quite as well, or a few of those hairline scratches start to come back, it just tells you it is time to do it again.

Practice makes perfect.