Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Ask Moe

Old 03-31-2009, 09:36 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Ask Moe

Here's your opportunity to ask me anything about detailing. Each month, the question that was helpful the most will be announced. If the question is yours, I'll send you a FREE T-SHIRT OR BALL CAP

So ask away friends

Professional Detailers
...please feel free to chime in as well with solid and unbiased advice to help our fellow DIY detailers. I want this thread to help out all of those searching for great advice.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:55 PM
D!Tailed is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Great idea for a thread Moe!!

D!

Old 03-31-2009, 02:23 PM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
What is the best way to get the sticky wheel weight residue of P factory rims?

Old 03-31-2009, 03:08 PM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by function12
What is the best way to get the sticky wheel weight residue of P factory rims?
Very good question. The easiest and safest way to remove the adhesive is goo gone gel. Just spray a little on a microfiber towel, and rub gently, and the glue residue comes off. Other options are to clay the wheel, 3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover, or even a light polish could do the trick.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:10 PM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by D!Tailed
Great idea for a thread Moe!!

D!
Thanks. I was sponsoring teamspeed and had this thread started. Since I withdrew my sponsorship, apparently I cannot post there either.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:15 PM
uberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond repute
How to give the engine bay of my 996 a little cleaning?
What should I cover up? What products to use? etc.
Thanks

Old 03-31-2009, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
Very good question. The easiest and safest way to remove the adhesive is goo gone gel. Just spray a little on a microfiber towel, and rub gently, and the glue residue comes off. Other options are to clay the wheel, 3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover, or even a light polish could do the trick.

Hope this helps.
May I add that if some of the white "foam" stuff that is in between the wheel and the weights is still there, you can sometimes carefully use a heat gun and heat it up a little bit and most of it will peel right off and take the sticky part with it. Depends on how long it's been on there though, but I've had good luck with that as well.

D!

Old 03-31-2009, 03:59 PM
chardonet will become famous soon enoughchardonet will become famous soon enough
CR Spotless question

Hi Moe:

Good to see you here on this new thread! Question regarding water usage on the CR Spotless unit:

I know that some folks drain the water out of the canisters after using the unit. Does keeping the resins exposed to standing water (while being stored between usage) lessen the life of the resin?

Thanks!

Old 03-31-2009, 08:13 PM
Premium Sponsor
Originally Posted by chardonet
Hi Moe:

Good to see you here on this new thread! Question regarding water usage on the CR Spotless unit:

I know that some folks drain the water out of the canisters after using the unit. Does keeping the resins exposed to standing water (while being stored between usage) lessen the life of the resin?

Thanks!
If you plan on not using the cr for a few months, then it's wise to take the resin cartridge out. But, if you're washing 2-3 times per month, save the time and keep the resin in.

Great question....rep point for you

Old 04-01-2009, 07:45 AM
Zaks will become famous soon enoughZaks will become famous soon enough
Hey Moe,

I need your opinion on something (I already messed around with one of the wheels but want to know what you would do).. I just bought these wheels (ASA AR1) but I bought them used and the rears have some spotting on the lip (I'll take pics later or tomorrow.. it's a white residue that's very hard and stuck/embedded to the lip) that regular metal polishing won't remove... was wondering if you would advise sanding or no?

Old 04-01-2009, 08:41 AM
Originally Posted by ivopivo
Hey Moe,

I need your opinion on something (I already messed around with one of the wheels but want to know what you would do).. I just bought these wheels (ASA AR1) but I bought them used and the rears have some spotting on the lip (I'll take pics later or tomorrow.. it's a white residue that's very hard and stuck/embedded to the lip) that regular metal polishing won't remove... was wondering if you would advise sanding or no?
Pictures always help.

D!

Old 04-01-2009, 08:51 AM
Premium Sponsor
Hey Moe,

Please post a pic ...usually on wheel like that, I'll clay them with zymol lehm klay and then polish them with Menzerna Super Finish, and a final polishing with Zymol Metall.

But, better to see some pics before investing in these products.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:58 AM
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
Please post a pic ...usually on wheel like that, I'll clay them with zymol lehm klay and then polish them with Menzerna Super Finish, and a final polishing with Zymol Metall.

But, better to see some pics before investing in these products.
I just learned they're actually clearcoated and I need to re-sand and recoat them to get rid of the damage... Moe please PM me your # so I can call you today or tomorrow

Old 04-01-2009, 09:04 AM
Premium Sponsor
I just learned they're actually clearcoated and I need to re-sand and recoat them to get rid of the damage... Moe please PM me your # so I can call you today or tomorrow
If it's clearcoated, it may be the clear coat itself that's chipping. My number is in my signature...post a pic if you can. It speaks a thousand words.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:32 AM
I can't get a good pic with my cell phone so I'll post one tonight, but, having only had the wheels for a week or so and thinking they were polished and not clearcoated, I thought it was something wrong with the metal but now I think it's just some stuff that settled and ruined the clearcoat...

I'll post the pic tonight or tomorrow and I'm going to try and call you either today or tomorrow at lunch

Thanks

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ask Moe