6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Detailing (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/detailing-30/)
-   -   Ask Moe (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/detailing/166936-ask-moe.html)

MoeMistry 03-31-2009 09:36 AM

Ask Moe

Here's your opportunity to ask me anything about detailing. Each month, the question that was helpful the most will be announced. If the question is yours, I'll send you a FREE T-SHIRT OR BALL CAP http://www.teamspeed.com/forums/imag...peed/yahoo.gif

http://www.glisteningperfection.com/...-and-T-web.jpg

So ask away friends http://www.teamspeed.com/forums/imag...ed/friends.gif

Professional Detailers
...please feel free to chime in as well with solid and unbiased advice to help our fellow DIY detailers. I want this thread to help out all of those searching for great advice.

D!Tailed 03-31-2009 01:55 PM

Great idea for a thread Moe!!

D!

function12 03-31-2009 02:23 PM

What is the best way to get the sticky wheel weight residue of P factory rims?

MoeMistry 03-31-2009 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by function12 (Post 2325783)
What is the best way to get the sticky wheel weight residue of P factory rims?

Very good question. The easiest and safest way to remove the adhesive is goo gone gel. Just spray a little on a microfiber towel, and rub gently, and the glue residue comes off. Other options are to clay the wheel, 3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover, or even a light polish could do the trick.

Hope this helps.

MoeMistry 03-31-2009 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by D!Tailed (Post 2325714)
Great idea for a thread Moe!!

D!

Thanks. I was sponsoring teamspeed and had this thread started. Since I withdrew my sponsorship, apparently I cannot post there either. :rolleyes:

uberpoop 03-31-2009 03:15 PM

How to give the engine bay of my 996 a little cleaning?
What should I cover up? What products to use? etc.
Thanks

D!Tailed 03-31-2009 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by MoeMistry (Post 2325865)
Very good question. The easiest and safest way to remove the adhesive is goo gone gel. Just spray a little on a microfiber towel, and rub gently, and the glue residue comes off. Other options are to clay the wheel, 3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover, or even a light polish could do the trick.

Hope this helps.

May I add that if some of the white "foam" stuff that is in between the wheel and the weights is still there, you can sometimes carefully use a heat gun and heat it up a little bit and most of it will peel right off and take the sticky part with it. Depends on how long it's been on there though, but I've had good luck with that as well.

D!

chardonet 03-31-2009 03:59 PM

CR Spotless question

Hi Moe:

Good to see you here on this new thread! Question regarding water usage on the CR Spotless unit:

I know that some folks drain the water out of the canisters after using the unit. Does keeping the resins exposed to standing water (while being stored between usage) lessen the life of the resin?

Thanks!

MoeMistry 03-31-2009 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by chardonet (Post 2325959)
Hi Moe:

Good to see you here on this new thread! Question regarding water usage on the CR Spotless unit:

I know that some folks drain the water out of the canisters after using the unit. Does keeping the resins exposed to standing water (while being stored between usage) lessen the life of the resin?

Thanks!

If you plan on not using the cr for a few months, then it's wise to take the resin cartridge out. But, if you're washing 2-3 times per month, save the time and keep the resin in.

Great question....rep point for you :)

Zaks 04-01-2009 07:45 AM

Hey Moe,

I need your opinion on something (I already messed around with one of the wheels but want to know what you would do).. I just bought these wheels (ASA AR1) but I bought them used and the rears have some spotting on the lip (I'll take pics later or tomorrow.. it's a white residue that's very hard and stuck/embedded to the lip) that regular metal polishing won't remove... was wondering if you would advise sanding or no?

D!Tailed 04-01-2009 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by ivopivo (Post 2326697)
Hey Moe,

I need your opinion on something (I already messed around with one of the wheels but want to know what you would do).. I just bought these wheels (ASA AR1) but I bought them used and the rears have some spotting on the lip (I'll take pics later or tomorrow.. it's a white residue that's very hard and stuck/embedded to the lip) that regular metal polishing won't remove... was wondering if you would advise sanding or no?

Pictures always help.

D!

MoeMistry 04-01-2009 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by ivopivo (Post 2326697)
Hey Moe,

Please post a pic ...usually on wheel like that, I'll clay them with zymol lehm klay and then polish them with Menzerna Super Finish, and a final polishing with Zymol Metall.

But, better to see some pics before investing in these products.

Zaks 04-01-2009 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by MoeMistry (Post 2326778)
Please post a pic ...usually on wheel like that, I'll clay them with zymol lehm klay and then polish them with Menzerna Super Finish, and a final polishing with Zymol Metall.

But, better to see some pics before investing in these products.

I just learned they're actually clearcoated and I need to re-sand and recoat them to get rid of the damage... Moe please PM me your # so I can call you today or tomorrow

MoeMistry 04-01-2009 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by ivopivo (Post 2326788)
I just learned they're actually clearcoated and I need to re-sand and recoat them to get rid of the damage... Moe please PM me your # so I can call you today or tomorrow

If it's clearcoated, it may be the clear coat itself that's chipping. My number is in my signature...post a pic if you can. It speaks a thousand words.

Zaks 04-01-2009 09:32 AM

I can't get a good pic with my cell phone so I'll post one tonight, but, having only had the wheels for a week or so and thinking they were polished and not clearcoated, I thought it was something wrong with the metal but now I think it's just some stuff that settled and ruined the clearcoat...

I'll post the pic tonight or tomorrow and I'm going to try and call you either today or tomorrow at lunch

Thanks