6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Detailing (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/detailing-30/)
-   -   Teflon coating paint sealant protection? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/detailing/173275-teflon-coating-paint-sealant-protection.html)

mozhacker 05-24-2009 03:09 PM

Teflon coating paint sealant protection?

I remember my dealer offering me this and a bunch of other stuff after I bought my car - lojack, underside rust coating protection (like it isn't rust protected from factory?), some maintenance care plan for $1800, wheel insurance, etc.

I declined all of them reflexively under the assumption anything the dealer is offering me post-sale is either crap or I can get better/cheaper after market.

I recall one item now that I see the same being offered by various auto detailers and curious what the board thinks of it - some kind of teflon coating paint sealant protection?

Is this just another version of paint protection film like xpel, 3M, etc or some kind of spray on version?

MoeMistry 05-24-2009 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by mozhacker (Post 2397450)
I remember my dealer offering me this and a bunch of other stuff after I bought my car - lojack, underside rust coating protection (like it isn't rust protected from factory?), some maintenance care plan for $1800, wheel insurance, etc.

I declined all of them reflexively under the assumption anything the dealer is offering me post-sale is either crap or I can get better/cheaper after market.

I recall one item now that I see the same being offered by various auto detailers and curious what the board thinks of it - some kind of teflon coating paint sealant protection?

Is this just another version of paint protection film like xpel, 3M, etc or some kind of spray on version?

No, it's not like ppf, rather a sealant or wax-type application. I never understood how teflon could properly cure on paint that never gets hot enough for teflon to bond to. Maybe our good friend Jon, TOGWT, could chime in on this one.

Tito 05-24-2009 05:37 PM

Is my understanding that A true sealer would probably not allow the paint to "breathe". What you mainly want to do is to protect the surface from the elements, somewhat of a barrier, yet still allowing the paint to breathe. You want something that will not penetrate the paint, so it must not be high in penetrating solvents, it needs to just attach to the surface, in this case, the paint.

TOGWT 05-25-2009 02:32 AM

Teflon® PTFE (DuPont): [: a polymer of the monomertetrafluoroethylene]
Teflon®will help ‘spread ability’ (but then so do silicone oils) it does nothing for durability because of its required application method-although Teflon® is an exceptional product when used as intended; it provides no benefit in a wax or polish.

a) According to G.R. Ansul of DuPont's Car Care Products, Specialty Products Division, "The addition of a Teflon® flouropolymer resin (PTFE) does nothing to enhance the properties of a car wax.
We have no data that indicates the use of Teflon® fluoropolymer resins is beneficial in car waxes, and we have not seen data from other people that support this position." Manufacturers of gimmicky, over-hyped products sometimes claim that their products contain Teflon®, hoping that the consumer will believe there is something special about that product.
Ansul also notes that, "Unless Teflon® is applied at 700 degrees F, and using a dissolving chemical C8, it is not a viable ingredient, and is 100 percent useless in protecting the paint's finish." This is hot enough that your car's paint (let alone your car) wouldn't survive.

Information resource-
Grisanti, Stephen "The Truth About Teflon®"Professional Car washing & Detailing, Jan1989)
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...RS=PN/4,284,668
http://www.fluoropolymer-facts.com/whatarefluoropolymers.html

mozhacker 05-25-2009 03:31 AM

Why am I not surprised my dealer was pushing an essentially useless "protection".

TOGWT 05-25-2009 05:49 AM

[Is my understanding that A true sealer would probably not allow the paint to "breathe". What you mainly want to do is to protect the surface from the elements, somewhat of a barrier, yet still allowing the paint to breathe. You want something that will not penetrate the paint, so it must not be high in penetrating solvents, it needs to just attach to the surface, in this case, the paint.]
Just meant as clarification;
· Paint does not ‘breath’, on initial application it needs to outgas (i.e. the solvents evaporate) after that its inert
· A polymer forms a molecular bond with paint, without the need for solvents
· A transparent paint protection product (aka clear bra) attaches to the paint via an adhesive

TOGWT 05-25-2009 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by mozhacker (Post 2397925)
Why am I not surprised my dealer was pushing an essentially useless "protection".

Selling 'lifetime paint protection' packages results in large profit margins for car dealerships (always check the 'small' print, it has to be re-newed periodically)

Apply a polymer sealant that will provide 6 months of 'real' protection at a fraction of the cost (which is often what the dealership is applying anyway)

Detail Kid 06-19-2010 03:20 PM

Teflon Works!

I have been detailing cars since the late '80s and the Teflon paint sealants are by far the best on the market nowadays. I remember when they first came out and DuPont's own scientist bashed them, but this was before more recent development (mid '90s) when the Telfon Suspension could be done better and the quality of the polymers (which actually hold the PTFE particles in place) increased dramatically.

I have used them all, R2000, 5 star shine, Element 119, Royal Shield, and FastWing. I think the Fastwing is a cheaper version of 5 star shine, but still better than your average sealant. Royal Shield, Element 119, and R2000 are all quality products that I enjoy applying.

The last 3 I listed all provide great protection over a VERY long period of time, and customers are always satisfied. I feel I have educated myself well on the subject, and have the Element 119 on my car to date. :rolleyes:

TOGWT 06-20-2010 02:26 AM

I've worked in the petrochemical / polymer technologies buisness for 4 + decades and will testify to the fact that Teflon works, provided it is applied correctly (see post #4)