Detailing Paint, body, detailing and waxing.

Griot's Speed Shine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 01:40 PM
ACRB is on a distinguished road
Griot's Speed Shine

When I was at a Porsche show last weekend, several guys were raving about how great“Griots Speed Shine” was. What I can figure out is when you spray it on the paint, aren’t you then rubbing the layer of dust into the finish? Wouldn’t it be better to wash excess dust off the car first? A number of guys were saying that they never use water, just the Speed Shine.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:09 PM
JPSJR can only hope to improve
I have been using SpeedShine is day one and it is my favorite detailing product in my garage! I never wash the 911 unless it really bad, otherwise that's all I use. I believe it's the best product out there! I use it with the Microfiber towels from CostCo, and wipe the car down with it super wet, then I use a second towel and wipe it down again except this time with just a few mists of SpeedShine. I do it once to twice a week. I go thru a gallon every 45 days. Good Luck!

Last edited by JPSJR; 06-29-2012 at 07:27 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:52 AM
ACRB is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JPSJR
I have been using SpeedShine is day one and it is my favorite detailing product in my garage! I never wash the 911 unless it really bad, otherwise that's all I use. I believe it's the best product out there! I use it with the Microfiber towels from CostCo, and wipe the car down with it super wet, then I use a second towel and wipe it down again except this time with just a few mists of SpeedShine. I do it once to twice a week. I go thru a gallon every 45 days. Good Luck!
Do you mean the Microfiber towel is super wet with the Speed Shine?

Old 06-30-2012, 08:14 PM
Taxi! is just really niceTaxi! is just really niceTaxi! is just really niceTaxi! is just really nice
ACRB, I don't doubt that Speed Shine is a good quick detailer, but you might want to read this, which is from a forum sponsor:

http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...ail-05-01-2012

Old 07-01-2012, 05:35 AM
JPSJR can only hope to improve
Talking

Great Link, but really think about what he is saying........ When it comes to detailing and making the car look concourse, I believe less is best. I have been using Griot's Garage SpeedShine for years and I recently went to Phil at Details Domain, and he was really impressed on how my cars looked. I asked for advice or any suggestions, he stated "don't change a thing, continue doing what ever your doing." I have my cars detiled by the pros every four months and in between I only use the SpeedShine on the Porsche to clean it and to maintain it, I never wash it unless I get really bad dirt/mud which has never happened. My other DD the Touareg, gets the torture of car washing either by hand or by machines, but that gets wiped down right after with SpeedShine, and I must say the DD has 48,000 miles on it and its only 16 months old and I'm always told "your Touareg looks brand new, did you just get it?" and I return and say, Nope, its got 48,000 miles on it, and its almost a year and a half old! Like I said to Phil, I take care of my cars better than anything. I believe you should find a great detailer like Phil at Detailer Domain, and have a maintance program where both people are happy and the results are worth it! as far as the, amount of SpeedShine I use, its wet but not super wet. Again, this is my feelings and my suggestions, please feel free to do whats best for you and your car. There's nothing better than driving your clean car down the highway and people looking at it.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:16 AM
Dan1 has a spectacular aura aboutDan1 has a spectacular aura aboutDan1 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by ACRB
When I was at a Porsche show last weekend, several guys were raving about how great“Griots Speed Shine” was. What I can figure out is when you spray it on the paint, aren’t you then rubbing the layer of dust into the finish? Wouldn’t it be better to wash excess dust off the car first? A number of guys were saying that they never use water, just the Speed Shine.
Yes you are and you will scratch/ swirl the paint by doing so.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:09 AM
Slik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Dan1
Yes you are and you will scratch/ swirl the paint by doing so.
Not necessarily.....
This depends on how much dust we are talking about. A very light layer on a clean car after a short drive: Speed Shine or any other quality quick detail spray with a good microfiber cloth used properly won't scratch anything. Now if the car has sat outside, or even in the garage, for a length of time and you can see a heavy layer of dust, then it's time for either the hose or Optimum No-Rinse (where you do wet-soak the microfiber before wiping)

I see people with really dusty cars spritz a little detail spray on a panel then wipe like they are dusting the furniture at home. THAT is a guaranteed way of swirling the hell out of the paint.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:47 AM
Dan1 has a spectacular aura aboutDan1 has a spectacular aura aboutDan1 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Slik560
Not necessarily.....
This depends on how much dust we are talking about. A very light layer on a clean car after a short drive: Speed Shine or any other quality quick detail spray with a good microfiber cloth used properly won't scratch anything. Now if the car has sat outside, or even in the garage, for a length of time and you can see a heavy layer of dust, then it's time for either the hose or Optimum No-Rinse (where you do wet-soak the microfiber before wiping)

I see people with really dusty cars spritz a little detail spray on a panel then wipe like they are dusting the furniture at home. THAT is a guaranteed way of swirling the hell out of the paint.
There are A LOT more factors involved in this than just how much dust is on the paint. The purpose of my response was to keep it simple for people and err on the side of caution. Could you do it without scratching, possibly, but 99% of people don't/ can't. Hell most people cant wash their cars without swirling it up.