Ferrari Discussion on everything Ferrari related; F40, F50, Enzo, F430, Testarossa, to the Ferrari 599, 458

Just added an F40 to the garage - a few pics

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 10:38 AM
peloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by fastdreams
Congrats, and thank you for sharing.

Amazing car. Thank you for driving it. Machines are nothing but dead weight when they are not used...an F40 deserves to live!

I love how rudimentary this car is, for me, it's how extreme cars should be. Singular in purpose, and very good at it.

I saw one in person a few years back and the experience really burned into my brain. The interior shocked me with it's simplicity, and really struck a chord in me.

Had Tubi exhaust. If I wore panties, they would have fell off of their own accord when the F40 ripped off down the road.

Quite a different impression than the Enzo I saw doddling down the highway at 75mph, the owner chatting away on a bluetooth headset, like he was driving a Lexus. Technology is making cars faster, and more boring.
Good comments - this thing is rudimentary all right. For example, take the simple matter of the pedal area. Should be no big deal, right? Clutch, brake, throttle, maybe a dead pedal and off you go. On the F40, wrong answer. Even with my tightest, skinniest track day shoes, my 10 1/2 feet are too big for this baby. Maybe the car's designers all wore size 8's or something. Example: no way I can place my foot flat on the dead pedal without a fair amount of overlap over the clutch pedal. Example, unless you operate the clutch pedal with mainly your toes, when you turn the wheel any significant amount, a u-joint in the steering column spins and bangs into the top of your shoe. A bit disconcerting.

I've looked at re-positioning the pedals which is easy to do as they have lots of holes drilled in them. I've concluded that any moves to address one issue will just yield space issues somewhere else so I'm just sticking with it.

So how does one cope? Just place the tip of your shoe on the dead pedal and operate the clutch with your left toes too. It's a very stiff clutch, so just using your toes takes some commitment on the driver's part.

But it's exactly these kinds of quirks that make this car so interesting to drive - it truly commands your full attention all the time and I suppose none of us would have it any other way. There are plenty of other cars out there, including some mighty fast and good-handling ones, that a person can drive without 100% commitment - I guess it's all about what one is looking to experience when getting behind the wheel.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:45 PM
extrabolts is on a distinguished road
Congratulations.

Needs......bigger......turbos

Old 10-06-2008, 02:17 AM
Zo6 MaNiaC is on a distinguished road
Congrats on the beast..

Old 10-06-2008, 11:51 AM
Jorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant futureJorgeassoc has a brilliant future
Amazing...

Old 10-06-2008, 05:29 PM
cabaynes is on a distinguished road
I am terribly jealous. Top Ferrari of all time in my opinion, I am definitely obsessed with them...

Old 10-06-2008, 06:19 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by peloton
Alex -

Yeah, there is something about light-switch boost in a 2,600 pound street-legal car with no driver aids. It helps focus the mind...and loosen the bladder.

I'll be getting my 997TT into your queue for some more of that Sharkwerks magic real soon!
I hope it's comes with spare undies!

Roger that on the 997TT:P

Old 10-06-2008, 07:15 PM
d00t is on a distinguished road
What a beautiful machine. But I think it needs a good detailin' .

I can only dream and imagine what it must be like to have that much of a car, with no power assisted things, and only you're will and skill keeping it in place. What a dream!!

Old 10-06-2008, 08:38 PM
peloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud ofpeloton has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by d00t
What a beautiful machine. But I think it needs a good detailin' .

I can only dream and imagine what it must be like to have that much of a car, with no power assisted things, and only you're will and skill keeping it in place. What a dream!!
Thanks and I hear you about it needing a good detail. That's being done first of next week by Bob at Auto Concierge who has worked on all my cars. Though I'm sure your work is excellent too!

And I'm with you - I too dreamt about this car since the F40's were first shown in 1987. So I guess in this instance, sometimes dreams do come true.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:42 PM
Banned
tennishero is infamous around these partstennishero is infamous around these parts
Just like my 348!
If you had to choose one - GT vs F40?

Old 10-07-2008, 05:58 PM
///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold
Wow, that is one of my favorite cars growing up. Congratulation.

Last edited by ///M Kevin; 10-07-2008 at 06:00 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by tennishero
Just like my 348!
If you had to choose one - GT vs F40?
Gee, I would not want to have to choose one because there are so many different criteria you could use for the selection:

Provenance: F40
Capabilities: CGT
Looks: F40
Sound (stock): CGT
Total driver involvement: F40
Maintenance: CGT
Steering feel: F40
Brakes: CGT

and the list goes on...which would you choose?

Old 10-07-2008, 09:24 PM
SINISTR has a spectacular aura aboutSINISTR has a spectacular aura aboutSINISTR has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by peloton
Gee, I would not want to have to choose one because there are so many different criteria you could use for the selection:

Provenance: F40
Capabilities: CGT
Looks: F40
Sound (stock): CGT
Total driver involvement: F40
Maintenance: CGT
Steering feel: F40
Brakes: CGT

and the list goes on...which would you choose?
Not even a tough question....F40, no doubt.

I'll take the CGT though if offered.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by SSNISTR
Not even a tough question....F40, no doubt.

I'll take the CGT though if offered.
SSNISTR,

How about for now I offer up a couple of the CGT's photos, both shot at Laguna Seca. First is tracking out of turn 5 up the hill, second is descending out of the corkscrew.

But I understand your preference - emotion usually wins over logic, and all of us enthusiasts who spend silly money on cars are clearly ruled by the former.

Attached Images   
Old 10-07-2008, 10:06 PM
mannytt will become famous soon enoughmannytt will become famous soon enough
congrats

Old 10-08-2008, 12:51 AM
IRONCROSS PITS is on a distinguished road
amazing car. congrats

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just added an F40 to the garage - a few pics