Ferrari Discussion on everything Ferrari related; F40, F50, Enzo, F430, Testarossa, to the Ferrari 599, 458

Chris Harris: Ferrari Are Cheats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 07:09 PM
Lee Willis is a jewel in the roughLee Willis is a jewel in the roughLee Willis is a jewel in the rough
You know, there are people in this world who care way too much about things that do not really matter.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:06 AM
czechchamp has a spectacular aura aboutczechchamp has a spectacular aura aboutczechchamp has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by SC David
The straight line version, or the twisties version??

Old 03-06-2011, 10:00 AM
INTMD8 is a splendid one to beholdINTMD8 is a splendid one to beholdINTMD8 is a splendid one to beholdINTMD8 is a splendid one to beholdINTMD8 is a splendid one to beholdINTMD8 is a splendid one to beholdINTMD8 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ORYX
I have wondered about this since having witnessed a few 355's driven down a 1/4 mile track, high 13 second to 14 seconds flat is all they would run @ approximately 100 mph, but read magazine tests and they ran 13.0 @ 110 mph.
Fwiw, this is what my 99 GTS/manual trans ran. Soft launch and 82deg ambient temp.

Attached Images  
Old 03-10-2011, 11:14 PM
av2
av2 is infamous around these parts
I going to play devil's advocate. So Chris Harris decided to confess after all of these years? Honest opinions, huh... checked youtube, he seems pretty excited in his video reviews of the Scud, 599GTO and Italia. Why all of the sudden writing about old "cheated" tests of the 360, 599GTB and Scud? He mentioned the 360 had a tuned engine, 599 with aggressive track settings, and the Scud had r-compounds. 2 secs to 100mph, that's some major tuning on a 360. Did he see unusual tuned parts such as different intake, deleted cats or a free flow exhaust? He assumed the 599 was adjusted for handling. Did he see a lowered car with a more aggressive camber and toe settings? Scud with tires sticking on the dyno rollers... He could have easily tell if the car was fitted with race spec'ed tires. He didn't mention any specific facts but just his assumptions. For a car guy, he should have easily spotted something.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:11 PM
rayman89 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by av2
I going to play devil's advocate. So Chris Harris decided to confess after all of these years? Honest opinions, huh... checked youtube, he seems pretty excited in his video reviews of the Scud, 599GTO and Italia. Why all of the sudden writing about old "cheated" tests of the 360, 599GTB and Scud? He mentioned the 360 had a tuned engine, 599 with aggressive track settings, and the Scud had r-compounds. 2 secs to 100mph, that's some major tuning on a 360. Did he see unusual tuned parts such as different intake, deleted cats or a free flow exhaust? He assumed the 599 was adjusted for handling. Did he see a lowered car with a more aggressive camber and toe settings? Scud with tires sticking on the dyno rollers... He could have easily tell if the car was fitted with race spec'ed tires. He didn't mention any specific facts but just his assumptions. For a car guy, he should have easily spotted something.
Dude, i mean no disrespect but you might want to re-read the article again, if not Chris Harris then those scuderia owners who fell the cars are underpowered or as someone quoted before, why doesn't Jay Leno own a Ferrari? and do you know the main reason why Lamborghini came about? obviously if Harris slated ferrari on his tests the magazine will never get to test another ferrari again, like he said, if he drifts a xk, no-one cares but if he drifts a rrari, 2mill hits straight away. I think I'm more upset about how the biggest brand in history has to go to these levels to look good and have no regard for customers

Old 03-11-2011, 03:26 PM
jlee is just really nicejlee is just really nicejlee is just really nicejlee is just really nice
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by chrcowan
...Maybe it's not so surprising that this company who competes in arguably the most competitive (or corrupt) motorsport (i.e. do WHATEVER it takes to win even if that means bending several rules...) takes that same philosophy to their road cars. They have to compete for the hearts and minds of car fans around the world and they aren't backing down or resting on their laurels. I respect that. If anything this is just a good reminder that the rules of moto journalism need some adjustment. I have no doubt that Ferrari will do what they have to do, but they will take every small advantage that they can get away with.

Or maybe I'm just making excuses.
This is the best comment I have read regarding this fiasco.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:46 PM
av2
Originally Posted by rayman89
Dude, i mean no disrespect but you might want to re-read the article again, if not Chris Harris then those scuderia owners who fell the cars are underpowered or as someone quoted before, why doesn't Jay Leno own a Ferrari? and do you know the main reason why Lamborghini came about? obviously if Harris slated ferrari on his tests the magazine will never get to test another ferrari again, like he said, if he drifts a xk, no-one cares but if he drifts a rrari, 2mill hits straight away. I think I'm more upset about how the biggest brand in history has to go to these levels to look good and have no regard for customers
I've read the article very clearly. Who cares if Jay Leno doesn't own a Ferrari. What does that prove?

As he stated, "As a journalist, those numbers make you willing to accommodate truck-loads of bull****, but I've had enough now." Why now? Something must have triggered this recently for him to post something like this on the web. It takes a car maker years and millions of dollars to build its reputation. If you want to call someone a cheater, catch them doing it. For someone like Chris Harris to make these claims, I just think he should have stated in the article with some real evidences. Sorry, but I am not in love with Chris Harris like most people.

Last edited by av2; 03-11-2011 at 10:54 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:55 PM
JL993 is a jewel in the roughJL993 is a jewel in the roughJL993 is a jewel in the rough
Unhappy

I agree with AV2 : Harris does not showed us any "facts" that the Ferrari cars are heavily tuned , seems to me that it was getting very "emotional" about this topic , he also mentioned that he sold his 575 back in December , and yes the Automotive Industry one is very corrupt !.

Remember the GM fiasco back in 2009 when the GM CEO R.Wagoner broke down the deal with Fiat which cost GM more than 8 Billion Dollars ?. That was the amount of money that Obama's administration lend GM for the rescue.

On the other hand : The other Manufacturer which I remember that acts exactly the opposite as Ferrari is RUF which always claims lower performance numbers in his fact sheets.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:04 PM
ice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond repute
What this story does for me is bring to light the behavior of a bully. Ferrari seems to be bullying the little guys to make themselves look better. No one likes bullies....even if they have the sweetest cars on the planet!

Old 03-15-2011, 04:13 AM
Originally Posted by av2
I've read the article very clearly. Who cares if Jay Leno doesn't own a Ferrari. What does that prove?

As he stated, "As a journalist, those numbers make you willing to accommodate truck-loads of bull****, but I've had enough now." Why now? Something must have triggered this recently for him to post something like this on the web. It takes a car maker years and millions of dollars to build its reputation. If you want to call someone a cheater, catch them doing it. For someone like Chris Harris to make these claims, I just think he should have stated in the article with some real evidences. Sorry, but I am not in love with Chris Harris like most people.
Catch them doing it? doesn't he state that when they are about to test the car the ferrari team go out to the track and fine tune the vehicle to it? and that they usually send two cars, one for the drag race and the other for handling and it's amazing how at least a dozen engineers need to go with every car handed over to the journalist? and as for something triggering it, he already mentions that if they are the biggest supercar makers in the world, why go through all this? they're just lying to the people that are keeping them in business. Enzo Ferrai has been known to be scum, thats why Lamborghini had to make a point, thats why Ford had to own them at Le man and thats why Mclaren had to show that they're not untouchable. believe what you want, obviously if someone brings truth, denial is the easiest reaction. I LOVE CHRIS HARRIS

Old 03-15-2011, 12:45 PM
av2
Originally Posted by rayman89
Catch them doing it? doesn't he state that when they are about to test the car the ferrari team go out to the track and fine tune the vehicle to it? and that they usually send two cars, one for the drag race and the other for handling and it's amazing how at least a dozen engineers need to go with every car handed over to the journalist? and as for something triggering it, he already mentions that if they are the biggest supercar makers in the world, why go through all this? they're just lying to the people that are keeping them in business. Enzo Ferrai has been known to be scum, thats why Lamborghini had to make a point, thats why Ford had to own them at Le man and thats why Mclaren had to show that they're not untouchable. believe what you want, obviously if someone brings truth, denial is the easiest reaction. I LOVE CHRIS HARRIS
Right, love is blind.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:06 PM
Old 03-15-2011, 02:54 PM
emadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond repute
You know guys, one day the Ferrari president Luca Di Montezemolo, in front of a media microphone, told this little (true) story:

" One day in 1991 I was at a traffic light in my brand new yellow 348, and a guy in a Golf GTI pulled badly on me...After a few days I was at a meeting with the chief engineers and I asked infos about the 348 performance....They started telling me how good it was, how fast, bla bla bla.....I let them talk and then I said - Guys, you are unlucky cause I'm actually a Ferrari customer as well, and this car is a real $h|t and doesn't move!!!!!I called Niki Lauda and asked him to test the car as well, and he gave the exact same judgement as me!!!"

For those of you guys that understand a little bit of Italian....here it is Mr Montezemolo about his "****ty 348"..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvrlI...844172A6E68225

I really love Ferraris, but I think they should come down to earth..

Last edited by emadelta86; 03-15-2011 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:08 PM
gerbs is a jewel in the roughgerbs is a jewel in the roughgerbs is a jewel in the roughgerbs is a jewel in the rough
Way to go Chris. You're a legend.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:21 PM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
I have always found the disparity in information about Ferraris regarding weight and performance as troubling. The 458 proves that it continues until this day. From under 3000 lbs to 3200 lbs to 3400 lbs what is the cars true dry and wet weight? And then trap speeds from 128-134 mph depending on who is testing is absurd. Especially on a launch control, dual clutch equipped car. But still it does not make me want one any less, despite the fact that a MP4-12C would most likely spit out little pieces of one on a race track.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Chris Harris: Ferrari Are Cheats