Ferrari Discussion on everything Ferrari related; F40, F50, Enzo, F430, Testarossa, to the Ferrari 599, 458

Too low of miles for 2008 F430 Scuderia?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 03:59 PM
QuantumN420 is on a distinguished road
Too low of miles for 2008 F430 Scuderia?

I am currently in the market for a F430 Scud and came across a 2008 with 197 miles on it. Is there a such thing as having too low of miles for a 4 year old car? What are some concerns I should have with a car basically sitting around for 4 years and never driven?

Old 12-23-2011, 04:31 PM
tphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of light
Check if the engine oil was changed periodically, even if the car is not driven oil has to be changed every several months on these cars (on my Porsche every 6 months even if not driving the car).
Transmission oil is usually by mileage, but I would verify specifically for the 430.

Tires when sitting on the same spot of the tire for a very long time can have their shape messed up especially if not inflated properly.

Engine belts can go dry and start cracking (had that on my Lexus due to time no mileage).
Check for rust (brakes), although I doubt it but you never know if in a humid area.

I'm pretty sure the brake fluid should be changed every several years regardless of mileage, but it should still be good after 4 years an 200miles.

Old 12-23-2011, 04:35 PM
versailles is an unknown quantity at this point
Some collectors don't drive there cars much especially if the collection is significant, I would find out more details about the owner. That should tell the story..

Old 12-25-2011, 07:56 AM
StorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond repute
Versailles and tphss both have some very valid points...

My father has a 1957 Chevy pickup with <5K on the thing. Fifty four years old and the thing has averaged about 90 miles a year. Some collectors just NEVER drive the cars. Especially true if they have a larger collection. The may take the thing out one day a year.

That said, some fluids need to be changed due to them breaking down over time, tires can get flat spots, and the belts can have issues as well. Either way, it can be very nice to find a nearly new car, and it is almost four years old now.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:32 AM
Arnie1 has a spectacular aura aboutArnie1 has a spectacular aura about
430 has cam chains not belts so that is not an issue plus the brakes are carbon so also no rust. I would buy it if the price is right. Is it a dealer with a warranty?

Old 12-26-2011, 09:02 AM
QuantumN420 is on a distinguished road
Warranty expired in November

Old 12-26-2011, 09:20 AM
StorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Arnie1
430 has cam chains not belts so that is not an issue plus the brakes are carbon so also no rust. I would buy it if the price is right. Is it a dealer with a warranty?
Um... If the 430 uses only chains, than what the heck is on all these pulleys.

Don't think for a second that just because it's not connected to the cams, that it's not expensive as hell to replace... I had to have the accessory belt in my DD replaced and the $30 belt cost north of $500 to get shoehorned into the engine bay. Because there is not a whole lot of room to, "work around the engine," they end up taking a whole lot apart to get down in there and get stuff done. Even simple maintenance is a lot of work.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by QuantumN420
Warranty expired in November
Honestly, if it were me writing the check, have a PPI done on it and take the plunge. The 430 Scud is one of my favorite cars to drive, and for the money that they can be had for right now it's a steal. I have a friend that ALMOST regrets trading his in on the 458 he got to replace it. I think he goes back and forth on that one. Another that got a 458 without trading his Scuderia in. Swears he will keep the thing forever.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:14 PM
Arnie1 has a spectacular aura aboutArnie1 has a spectacular aura about
That is a serpentine belt for the alternator, power steering, and AC nothing to do with the engine. The 360 had belts inside the cam towers and cost about 4500 every 3 years. If the belt breaks a new 50000 engine is required. With a 430 no engine damage just replace the belt because it has chains unlike the 360. it is a Ferrari and will cost money to replace the belt if you are worried about the price maybe a Porsche is better for you.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:31 PM
I'm aware if the 360 and it's legendary belt services. The point is that the 430 still has belts that will wear. Factoring in replacement cost to the purchase price, especially if it is going to need to be done soon, is not unreasonable.

There is worrying about the cost, and then there is just being smart about a buy. No need to not factor in a part that may need repair near the time of purchase.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:53 PM
Global Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to behold
Not sure if you would consider a 16M but this white one is sweet! http://globalautosports.com/car/2009...ble-41613.html

Old 12-27-2011, 02:03 PM
Meeyatch1 is an unknown quantity at this point
The funny thing is that many collectors that I have met have no real idea how bad a car sitting and not being used really is. They have the '..if it is not driven, there is no wear or maintenance needed..,' attitude. Which is totally wrong. Car are not made to sit. They are made to drive, and that driving is what keeps many parts lubricated and useful.