6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Ferrari (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/ferrari-40/)
-   -   can u lease a 458 italia (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/ferrari/317939-can-u-lease-458-italia.html)

studlee 09-17-2013 10:40 PM

can u lease a 458 italia

if so how much would it be and terms of the lease. ideally a 2 year lease with 7000 miles a year would be my preference.

Bobby G 09-19-2013 12:10 AM

The answer is yes.

My buddy pays in the $3500/mo range, but put at least $25K down, maybe closer to $40K on a four year lease. I'd imagine that a two year 14K mile total lease would cost about $4000/month with a good chunk of money down.

lacrosse 09-19-2013 03:07 PM

With all due respect, it does not seem to make a whole lot of sense to put $25,000 - $40,000 down and lease a car at $4,000 a month with a milage cap of 7,000 per year.

My $.02 would be to put $40,000 on a 08/09 F430 spider and pay off the balance in a few years.

Heist 09-19-2013 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by lacrosse (Post 3941116)
With all due respect, it does not seem to make a whole lot of sense to put $25,000 - $40,000 down and lease a car at $4,000 a month with a milage cap of 7,000 per year.

My $.02 would be to put $40,000 on a 08/09 F430 spider and pay off the balance in a few years.

All depends on what your ownership philosophy is and how intelligently you structure your cash expenditure.

Many people want a Ferrari; not many people want to deal with owning a Ferrari. Some people trade in and out of cars like last season's shoes. Why incur the depreciation? Leasing in these cases makes sense.

Artists I used to work with, they would lease the car under their LLC. A portion of the payment becomes a tax write off. They would also lease the car out for music video shoots.

Finally, factor that under the lease the lessee typically has no maintenance expenses. By the time the car is due for break-in or major service, they're churning out of the lease.

blue_skies 09-19-2013 08:59 PM

Here's what I would do (in order):

a) Rent one on a sunny weekend every so often, get your fix and save a whole bunch of money
b) Finance
c) Not do anything
d) Not do anything
e) Lease

hilarious

rmani 09-20-2013 11:52 AM

Id finance before renting but apart from that i concur with your order. Leasing makes no sense unless youre filthy rich. But hey if you are then by all means who cares.

tortesq1 09-20-2013 01:12 PM

The simple answer is "yes" you can lease a 458. An example is my new 2013 very lightly optioned 458 Italia with $264K MSRP. For a NYS based 60 month lease I pay approx. $2932 p/month with $30K down 3500 miles per year. Its an open end lease with a buyback of $148K. The fact that its open end means I must purchase the car at the end of the lease so the 3500 miles per year limit is meaningless unless you want to return the car at the end of the lease (which, while possible, is rarely done with an F car). Theoretically I could trade in the car prior to the lease termination date and I might take a hit (or not) depending on car mileage, condition, etc. I drive my car locally (for business which for me is Court) each and every day and really do enjoy it. Yes I am a very lucky and fortunate person. My advice is to talk to your local F car dealer about leasing a 458. My dealer is Ferrari of Long Island and they are nothing less than a ten and outstanding on these financial issues involving leasing vs. financing. Feel free to contact me if you want my contact person at Ferrari of Long Island. Great dealer sales and service. Great car. Geez what more can I say ?

MSIZZLE66 09-20-2013 01:48 PM

I am the general manager of a car dealership and its shocking to me how many people are do negative towards leasing, for every reason someone says a lease makes no sense I can give 5 why buying makes no sense and vice versa. Its personal preference and there is no financial fact for either scenario. Even paying cash has its down falls when you look at actual cost of ownership. Some exotics may be different but for the most part even cars with good resale value have horrible resale value from an investment standpoint.

Heist 09-20-2013 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by tortesq1 (Post 3941682)
My dealer is Ferrari of Long Island and they are nothing less than a ten and outstanding on these financial issues involving leasing vs. financing. Feel free to contact me if you want my contact person at Ferrari of Long Island. Great dealer sales and service. Great car. Geez what more can I say ?

When I lived on LI, I started college @ CW Post. I'd drool passing by F of LI.
Now I live in the DC area and pass Ferrari/Lambo of Washington quite often. Still drooling.

This drooling thing is becoming untenable.hilarious

Heist 09-20-2013 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by MSIZZLE66 (Post 3941715)
I am the general manager of a car dealership and its shocking to me how many people are do negative towards leasing, for every reason someone says a lease makes no sense I can give 5 why buying makes no sense and vice versa. Its personal preference and there is no financial fact for either scenario. Even paying cash has its down falls when you look at actual cost of ownership. Some exotics may be different but for the most part even cars with good resale value have horrible resale value from an investment standpoint.

The concept is foreign to many people who were indoctrinated for generations on a philosophy of "own your car."
The early consumer leasing products/programs, which were highly prohibitive and egregiously punitive, also did it no favors. It's a stain that has never quite faded for most people of a certain age.

That said, leasing is a very valid option, dare I say best option in a great number of circumstances ESPECIALLY if you happen to own your own business or are in a profession where you can expense/write of a portion of your personal expenses as part of your 'professional standard and appearance.'

Consult your CPA/Tax Attorney for more information.

studlee 09-21-2013 01:52 AM

yes i would be leasing through my llc so it make sense for me to lease vs buy.

i got a call back from ferrari dealer when i inquired about leasing a used f430. i'm better off buying a used or if it is new a lease makes more sense.

thanks for the replays...i'm a little smarter about how i could own ferrari

b00sted4v 10-07-2013 11:46 PM

haha crazy money down they look for

tortesq1 10-08-2013 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by b00sted4v (Post 3953151)
haha crazy money down they look for

"crazy money" is all relative. So IMNSHO, I'd respectfully say that its not really crazy as a % of the car value. Also, at least in NY, a big chunk of the down payment is the sales tax as opposed to a cap cost reduction. So if you have a down payment of $3K ie. with sales taxes on a $30K car a down payment of $30K on a $300K car isn't outrageous. With outstanding credit you can do a nothing down type deal with a 3rd party financier ie. Putnam, Premier, etc. with the sales taxes rolled into the lease payment, but my understanding is that Ferrari Financial Sservices wants at least the sales taxes up front (again I'm talking about a NY lease). Maybe things have changes since i did my lease in August, 2012 but I doubt it. There are a plethora of people all around the world that DD their F cars for business and thus FFS makes it palatable for people like us to obtain their fantasy car. Good luck in obtaining your dream ride.

JK996TT 10-20-2013 09:32 PM

I lease all my cars except my 458. Even my wife's Bentley GTC. Any car can be leased. As a personal rule, I avoid open ended leases since the T&C's don't suit me. The lease program is the determining factor for me. Does the lease make sense or is it a bad deal? Regardless, I would never spend a penny as a down payment on any lease. If the car should ever be totaled or stolen (and not recovered), that downpayment is gone. You're better off with the higher payment. Just my .02 worth.

tortesq1 10-21-2013 07:09 AM

JK996TT raises excellent points. Specifically if your in an F car lease through Ferrari Financial Services its is an "open end" type of lease meaning that you must purchase the car at a pre-determined price (as opposed to a closed end lease where the lessor just takes the car back). My 13 has a 148K buyback after 60 months. In addition my $30K DP will be for gone if the car was stolen and not recovered. In NYS my $30K DP was mostly sales taxes (about $24K paid on the entire PP don't ask). I still think leasing was my best route as I truly do use the car each and every day for business (as I would any other car). The #'s will never work on a lease unless you really use the car for business purposes. I also spent about $7K post purchase on a full 3M package and powder coating my rims. Will a 5 year old car with 30K miles on her be worth $148K (assuming I receive no credit for the aftermarket stuff) ? Who knows ? With no major accidents or warranty work and assuming she is a 1 owner 458 sold and serviced at an authorized F car dealer the $148K contractual buyback is probably a realistic #. Obviously if I only had 10K miles on her instead of my anticipated 30K (approx. 6K miles per year) the $148K buyback would be a good #. I'd say the #'s are comparable to an 08 430 scud as far as MSRP and buyback #'s. Would a clean original owner dealer purchased and serviced 08 scud with 30K miles on her be worth $148K ? The 16M absolutely. The coupe maybe on the borderline. Anyway, leasing CAN work in the 458. Just consult your accountant and do whats right for you.