Ferrari Discussion on everything Ferrari related; F40, F50, Enzo, F430, Testarossa, to the Ferrari 599, 458

Chopped Testarossa from MJ Pepsi commerical

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 06:04 PM
6Speed Town Crier
Johnny Mayday will become famous soon enough
Chopped Testarossa from MJ Pepsi commerical

I don't care what the excuse is, really, because I just don't think people should go around hacking the roofs off Ferraris. This one was used in a Pepsi commercial, and was driven by Michael Jackson, and it's headed to auction. Personally, I think the fact he drove it should make it worth less, not more, ha ha. According to the HP, they're asking $799,900 for it... I wonder if someone will cough up that kind of coin?

Old 01-10-2018, 05:38 PM
6Speed Town Crier
Here's the actual video.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:16 AM
CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !
Straman did a bunch of Testarossa chops. He has also done Daytona chops. These cars cannot, of course, get Classiche certification, if that were to matter to a buyer. They're reportedly pretty well done. The only factory official chopped TR was for Agnelli (Fiat CEO and majority owner). It's silver with a blue stripe and blue interior.

An open-topped 12-cylinder Ferrari. Hard to top! No pun intended.

CW

Old 01-15-2018, 12:15 PM
CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !CornersWell Is a GOD !
Here's GA's...

CW

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Testarossa-Agnelli.png
Views:	50
Size:	2.49 MB
ID:	519373  
Attached Images     
Old 01-15-2018, 12:50 PM
There's a never-ending debate about altering cars. On the one hand, if you own it, it's yours to do with as you please. However, there are those who feel these cars should never be changed.

Perhaps the most contentious debate is over the older models, though. In particular, a large number of 250 GTEs were converted into GTO "replicas". I suppose I'm somewhat ambivalent on this topic.

While I've been offered legitimate GTOs (yes, the 62-64 models), I will not likely to ever be able to afford one, as they're now in the $70MM+ asking range. So, the closest I might get to owning one would be a tribute "replica" like those made by Allegretti or Jones. A friend has one by Jones, and it's really a VERY nice car. But, a lot of people look down on it (also, it should never be misrepresented as if it were a GTO). He drives and parks it on the street. While he'd care if it were damaged, it's also not a priceless piece of history as an original GTO is. It's probably in the $500K range to buy a tribute "replica" these days.

Anyway, this debate will never finish.

CW

Old 01-15-2018, 01:20 PM
6Speed Town Crier
Originally Posted by CornersWell
There's a never-ending debate about altering cars. On the one hand, if you own it, it's yours to do with as you please. However, there are those who feel these cars should never be changed.

Perhaps the most contentious debate is over the older models, though. In particular, a large number of 250 GTEs were converted into GTO "replicas". I suppose I'm somewhat ambivalent on this topic.

While I've been offered legitimate GTOs (yes, the 62-64 models), I will not likely to ever be able to afford one, as they're now in the $70MM+ asking range. So, the closest I might get to owning one would be a tribute "replica" like those made by Allegretti or Jones. A friend has one by Jones, and it's really a VERY nice car. But, a lot of people look down on it (also, it should never be misrepresented as if it were a GTO). He drives and parks it on the street. While he'd care if it were damaged, it's also not a priceless piece of history as an original GTO is. It's probably in the $500K range to buy a tribute "replica" these days.

Anyway, this debate will never finish.

CW
I'm actually for replicas that are done in that style. I'd love to get one of the C-Type replicas done in the UK. They use actual Jag parts and you can get them in an aluminum body. So sexy.

Old 01-15-2018, 01:31 PM
Yes, there are some amazing replicas out there. Fantasy Junction seems to source a bunch of them. There's an Allegretti-bodied GTO-replica available now on their site. And, if you must have a new one, GTO Engineering can build you pretty much anything you want (my friend with the GTO is having a 250TR built to go with it).

But, there's an even bigger scandal in Vintage/Historic racing. The Goodwood event is supposed to be only for legit cars. BUT, owners are having entirely new cars made up with significantly larger motors, upgraded suspensions and brakes. This secret has become so widely known that it's laughable. Wink and nod kind of stuff, now. It's no wonder they trade paint, if it's not the real deal.

I wonder when the organizers will finally get serious about weeding the replicas out. Of course, the owners also own the real cars, so figuring it all out may be a nightmare. That said, here's a crash of a '64 GTO. Owner owns the real car, but this was the replica...

CW