Notices
Garage Forum Share pictures of your garage with the rest of the 6speedonline members. Learn about Garage flooring, painting, art, and more in this forum.

Epoxy vs, Garage floor tiles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 08:18 PM
996garage will become famous soon enough996garage will become famous soon enough
I got the Home Depot guys to do my epoxy floor. They told me that the kits sold in the stores were the water based epoxy kits that are not as durable. Supposedly only their professional services are allowed to install the non-water based epoxy, which is supposed a bit more expensive and last much longer. Not sure if this was BS, but I did see the different Rustoleum water vs non-water based kits being sold on-line.

Other issue if you deal with Home Depot - Over the course of the last few months the Rustoleum epoxy floor installation company has apparently dissolved. They no longer do the garage flooring themselves and now just outsource it to local companies. This has made getting warranty work done very difficult and drawn out. I have been waiting months to get them to come back a repair a blemish on my floor. All of the Rustoleum customer service #'s and the numbers of my service rep have all been disconnected. Fortunately Home Depot is still slowly helping in this matter.

In this economy, just make sure you go with a company that will be around for awhile.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:30 PM
Banned
jmenge is on a distinguished road
Check out the garage journal forum. There is a vendor on there that sells epoxy floors that seem to hold up very well.

Old 03-15-2009, 01:15 PM
Gusagain is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jmenge
Check out the garage journal forum. There is a vendor on there that sells epoxy floors that seem to hold up very well.
This is in the garage forum. Can you provide a link to this vendor?

Old 03-15-2009, 04:38 PM
Imolas54 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Seattle996
has a slight click clack when you walk on it..,
to get rid of the clacking, make sure you put the plastic/foam layer down before the tiles. They sell it for pergo flooring at homedepot.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:31 PM
Banned
jmenge is on a distinguished road
Hi guys. A couple people asked about the Wolverine floors, this is a great forum devoted only to garage flooring http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/f...splay.php?f=20 . Also, this is the vendor I used http://www.alphagarage.com/ the flooring is awesome! Over a year of abuse with jacks, jackstands, and welding and no chipping or peeling up.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:19 PM
CWtwin is a jewel in the roughCWtwin is a jewel in the roughCWtwin is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Epoxy!

I just did the Rustolium Professional grade two part epoxy. I love it! Looks great with extra heavy color flakes and clear coat. I used 15 bags of the blue and gray flakes on a 31x24 garage.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:44 PM
J BONE is on a distinguished road
So what is the best brand then? Still confused on this even after tons of research. Was planning on having it professionally done this summer but the company is no longer around. Thanks guys! Great forum BTW!!

Old 03-22-2009, 10:50 PM
Stratocaster is a splendid one to beholdStratocaster is a splendid one to beholdStratocaster is a splendid one to beholdStratocaster is a splendid one to beholdStratocaster is a splendid one to beholdStratocaster is a splendid one to beholdStratocaster is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by rs200evo
What are your thoughts for a brand new garage floor ? Epoxy vs. garage floor tiles, also which floor tile is best ?
I've heard that the floor tiles make a clicking sound even with the foam underlay when walked on. Is this true?

Old 03-24-2009, 12:08 PM
awsum1ed is on a distinguished road
i had mine done by a professional with the epoxy, and it looks great!

Old 04-07-2009, 10:50 PM
marco_polo is on a distinguished road
polyaspartic polyurea

Hey guys check out floors that use polyaspartic polyurea. It's way!!! more durable than epoxy and will not flake under the weight of front wheels, or discolor. Because its a thicker application it also allows paint chips to be inserted into the compound. Looks like a granite floor when done. My neighbor did his and it looks awesome... Even though it says it can be applied in -30F, I am waiting for summer here in Chicago.

Here's some info on it:
http://www.concretenetwork.com/polya...loor-coatings/

Let me know what you guys think. The installers in my area offer 15 year warranty, that's not bad.

Mark

Old 12-13-2010, 07:46 AM
monkey_wrench is on a distinguished road
Garage Floor

I think I am going to refinish my garage floor with garage floor tiles. That site has self draining interlocking garage floor tiles and they look extremely easy to install.

Old 12-13-2010, 03:40 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
I epoxied my garage with DIY stuff from HD. It peeled in a few places but I patched those areas with a thick layer which is holding up. With epoxy, thick coats is better - unlike paint.

I have yet to clean up the floor in the last 8 months other than sweeping. Tiles would be a different story.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:19 PM
DetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud ofDetomasoGTS74 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by djantlive
I have yet to clean up the floor in the last 8 months other than sweeping. Tiles would be a different story.
I have had the Gladiator tiles for 6 months and only sweep......

Old 01-25-2011, 02:19 PM
gstahl is a jewel in the roughgstahl is a jewel in the roughgstahl is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Imolas54
to get rid of the clacking, make sure you put the plastic/foam layer down before the tiles. They sell it for pergo flooring at homedepot.
I just ask this question to the racedeck folks and they recommend landscape mesh... "The best recommendation for me has been having my customers use landscape fabric under their garage floors to reduce the hollow sound. It is still breathable, so if any water gets under the tiles, it will still get the airflow needed to dry up. There also won't be any mold or mildew problems since both the tiles and landscape fabric are made of plastic."

Old 01-25-2011, 02:26 PM
gstahl is a jewel in the roughgstahl is a jewel in the roughgstahl is a jewel in the rough
I am in the same place trying to decide. I have Racedeck samples on the way, plan to get a quote from a recommended epoxy floor installer (uses wolverine coatings). I am leaning toward Racedeck for the ease of install (including coordinating... bad weather day, just delay a week, instead of dealing with contractor scheduling) and I like the look of tiles.

Two Racedeck questions Jorgen might be able to help with...
- In CA and I see the install instructions say to install at the hottest part of the day and move the large items back in during the hottest part of the day. Since it is winter and the summer temps can be 40 degrees warmer, will this be an issue (more thinking about the heavy items on opposite sides of the garage than the edge issues).

- Trying to carry the RD through a doorway (in the garage) and into a laundry area. Is there any recommendations here or just carry through the 1/2 gap on all sides?

Thanks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Epoxy vs, Garage floor tiles