Notices
Garage Forum Share pictures of your garage with the rest of the 6speedonline members. Learn about Garage flooring, painting, art, and more in this forum.

Project Garage Condo

Old 11-15-2009, 09:27 AM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
i understand that it's in progress but is that right on top of sidewalk? I didn't know you can have an "object" flowing on top of sidewalk.

i forgot to ask, is this place right next to your actual home?
good luck with everything!

Old 11-16-2009, 11:15 AM
HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Enilder
i understand that it's in progress but is that right on top of sidewalk? I didn't know you can have an "object" flowing on top of sidewalk.

i forgot to ask, is this place right next to your actual home?
good luck with everything!
The deck is above a non-active sidewalk. It's basically a cement skirt around the building. In any event, it's high enough that it's not in the way.

The Motorplex is about 5 minutes from my office and about 15 minutes from my house.

Thanks.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:50 PM
bgwilly31 is on a distinguished road
What a perfect getaway! I would be there every weekend. And having a chill pad right next to the Cars and coffee events would be fantastic. I would just sleep over and wake up to the rumbles of V-8's and v-10's in the morning.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:06 PM
HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !HIRISC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bgwilly31
What a perfect getaway! I would be there every weekend. And having a chill pad right next to the Cars and coffee events would be fantastic. I would just sleep over and wake up to the rumbles of V-8's and v-10's in the morning.
That's exactly what I'm planning: hang on Friday & polish the rides up, wake up on Saturday a.m., make a bloody mary and watch all the cars roll in

Old 11-16-2009, 11:25 PM
CCK
CCK is on a distinguished road
that's very nice!!

Old 11-17-2009, 10:33 AM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by HIRISC
That's exactly what I'm planning: hang on Friday & polish the rides up, wake up on Saturday a.m., make a bloody mary and watch all the cars roll in
reminds me of fast and furious series except your idea of morning is reversed with night time.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:59 AM
That's a once a month deal in the summer. For the most part, a place to build my FFR Cobra and hang out with other motorsport enthusiasts (car nuts).

Come to think of it, I could have skipped the Condo/Cobra and just bought a Murci.

Oh f**k.

Old 11-17-2009, 01:59 PM
Of of the guys honing the cream (smooth) layer off the cement to expose more of the aggregate. This will give the floor some personality which will show through the clear coat.

Name:  MotorplexWeek419.jpg
Views: 2183
Size:  1.71 MB

Like this:

Name:  MotorplexWeek416.jpg
Views: 2149
Size:  487.3 KB

Old 11-17-2009, 11:46 PM
bartdude is on a distinguished road
This is turning out really nice!!

Old 11-18-2009, 10:24 PM
AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by HIRISC
That's a once a month deal in the summer. For the most part, a place to build my FFR Cobra and hang out with other motorsport enthusiasts (car nuts).

Come to think of it, I could have skipped the Condo/Cobra and just bought a Murci.

Oh f**k.
TT Gallardo would have been a good choice or a TT FGT. I have space if you needed extra storage.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by AtomicZ
TT Gallardo would have been a good choice or a TT FGT. I have space if you needed extra storage.
Thanks Eric.. Too late now

Have to keep saving pennies - thank goodness I've got the winter to recover from my condo spending binge.

I'm pretty indecisive on the next (besides the Cobra) ride.. good that I'll have some time to think it over.. (pssst, maybe FGT)

Old 11-20-2009, 03:30 PM
Working on under-mezzanine lighting now.

Due to height mostly, I'm going to install 19 2-bulb recessed (troffer) fluorescent fixtures down the center to provide the 'task' lighting and two outside runs of 5" cans will provide accent and pinpoint lighting over my workbenches (right wall). Some of the spacing is a little funky due to the plumbing and sprinkler lines under the mezzanine.

Here's what it should look like - right side:

Name:  Troffer-Hybrid4.jpg
Views: 2131
Size:  135.8 KB

Decided to pre-frame in preparation for the troffer recessed fluorescent fixtures. Light structure measures 11" x 48" with 1/2" extra on each side for coverage.

The joists are 14.25-14.5" wide (I.D.), so we framed in with 2x2 (1.5") stock on each side - basically making a 11.25 x 48.25" square for the sheetrock guys to zip saw against.

Took about 1.5 hours to do the 19 frames. Better to have the light's 'arms' resting on 2x stock than 5/8 sheetrock.

Name:  MotorplexTroffer-Frame1.jpg
Views: 2291
Size:  2.51 MB

Name:  MotorplexTroffer-Frame2.jpg
Views: 2283
Size:  2.59 MB

Old 11-21-2009, 06:06 AM
scowil is on a distinguished road
looks great so far, but was wondering when they hone the floor how much of the concrete or cream are they removing? i would love that look in my garage rather than an epoxy coat.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:47 AM
Originally Posted by scowil
looks great so far, but was wondering when they hone the floor how much of the concrete or cream are they removing? i would love that look in my garage rather than an epoxy coat.
A timely question.

We wanted to see the 'inside' (aggregate) of the concrete and the honing allowed for this. Epoxy obviously covers the concrete - which is the point for some people.

So we contracted with a company to hone the floor. They bead blast the floor first, then come in with a circular cement scraping machine.

They are supposed to take all the cream off - showing a minimum of 'light' aggregate and a maximum of 'large' aggregate due to surface level differences on the slabs.

They coat the floor with a product called MMA - 2 layers - with or without color. We wanted the 'natural' concrete color, so no stain additive. The product is rolled on and cures in under 1 hour. The resulting floor is what I would describe as a matte finish and is not slippery.

Side note: As it happens, our guys were lazy and didn't take the floor down to a minimum hone thickness - resulting in some cream showing and not as much aggregate as we had discussed. The net result is that they may be re-doing the floor. That will be a PIA for them as the MMA is harder than the concrete. If you choose this method, ensure that you have a chance to review the scrape level after it has been vacuumed up and insist you see it wet which will mimick the look of the final product.

Read more about MMA here: http://www.mmafloors.com

Here are a few pics:

Name:  MotorplexFloor11.jpg
Views: 2280
Size:  2.27 MB

Name:  MotorplexFloor2.jpg
Views: 2317
Size:  2.57 MB

Name:  MotorplexFloor5.jpg
Views: 2281
Size:  2.54 MB

Name:  MotorplexFloor7.jpg
Views: 2230
Size:  2.89 MB

Name:  MotorplexFloor1.jpg
Views: 2242
Size:  2.61 MB

Name:  MotorplexFloor8.jpg
Views: 2270
Size:  2.54 MB

Name:  MotorplexFloor3.jpg
Views: 2274
Size:  2.81 MB

Last edited by HIRISC; 11-21-2009 at 08:57 AM.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:06 AM
Platinum Sponsor
WHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond reputeWHEELSJ has a reputation beyond repute
WOW!! super cool build out.. subscribed!

1.866.519.4335 ext 2103
Web: www.wheelsboutique.com
Email: Jonathan@wheelsboutique.com

#1 HRE Dealer Worldwide / DPE Wheels / Vertini / Work Wheels / D2 Forged / TechArt / Novitec / Brabus / Carlsson / AC Schnitzer / Mansory / Kooks / Corsa / RENNTech / WALD / Milltek / Tubi / Champion Motorsports / AWE / RSS / BBS / Brembo / Hamman / Eisenmann / KW / H&R / Nitto / Pirelli / Michelin / Dunlop / Goodyear / Falken / Continental and tons more....

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Project Garage Condo