Notices
Garage Forum Share pictures of your garage with the rest of the 6speedonline members. Learn about Garage flooring, painting, art, and more in this forum.

Laying Porcelain tile for garage floor

Old 03-21-2012, 06:49 AM
Slik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 986_c6
One more question for you Jack, sorry.

But, did you fill the expansion joints with grout and then laid tiles over that? And what will that do to the slab during extreme summer/winter temps?

Great question - I'm curious about this as well.

Thanks Jack for all the time you've put into this thread.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:41 PM
JackOlsen has a reputation beyond reputeJackOlsen has a reputation beyond reputeJackOlsen has a reputation beyond reputeJackOlsen has a reputation beyond reputeJackOlsen has a reputation beyond reputeJackOlsen has a reputation beyond reputeJackOlsen has a reputation beyond reputeJackOlsen has a reputation beyond reputeJackOlsen has a reputation beyond reputeJackOlsen has a reputation beyond reputeJackOlsen has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry, guys. Hadn't checked this thread in a while.

I filled most of the expansion troughs. The picture shows some of them done. Some, I filled with thinset as I set the tiles.

Doing so really wont change the pad's ability to shift/crack, I wouldn't think. But my pad had already settled pretty well (poured in 1925) and we don't get any freeze/thaw cycles here (southern California), so my floor might not answer all of the worthwhile questions for other guys.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:21 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by John156e
Jack you have a great garage. love the vintage accents
Jack, you're sandbagging! I'm a member on GJ, too!

Check his garage out guys:

http://garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55006

Amazing.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp

Last edited by damon@tirerack; 03-21-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:13 PM
Slik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the reminder, Damon! I'm on GJ too, but I had not been over there in ages. I get too envious and get too many ideas for things that will never happen.

Old 03-22-2012, 01:37 PM
Mightytaco is on a distinguished road
I had a friend who did the same thing that he used Schluter Ditra underneath it top layer. Not cheap, but I think it mitigates some of the cracking stresses.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:04 PM
lidojuagon is a name known to alllidojuagon is a name known to alllidojuagon is a name known to alllidojuagon is a name known to alllidojuagon is a name known to alllidojuagon is a name known to all
It might be a good idea to stop by your local Lexus dealer. I know Sewell Lexus in Dallas tiles all of their garages. It looks great and is easy to clean. They may have some insight as to good high traffic tile.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:49 PM
EZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud of
flooring

I have had mine for three years now. Very durable, and easy to clean. I was able to purchase a lip for the tile edge that you drive over to protect it and make it look finished.
Name:  330056_3160628587305_1613012897_2761210_793656940_o.jpg
Views: 4203
Size:  91.0 KB

Old 03-24-2012, 04:24 PM
lidojuagon is a name known to alllidojuagon is a name known to alllidojuagon is a name known to alllidojuagon is a name known to alllidojuagon is a name known to alllidojuagon is a name known to all
That looks great. How old was it in that pic? What type of tiles did you use?

Old 03-24-2012, 10:10 PM
EZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud of
This picture was just taken. It is three years old in this picture. I park my Pcar, my H2 and mercedes on it daily.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:50 PM
Chris_FL is a jewel in the roughChris_FL is a jewel in the roughChris_FL is a jewel in the rough
EZ, where did you find that file?

Old 03-25-2012, 08:18 AM
I found the tile on Ebay in Florida. It is 2 x 2 tile commercial grade.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:01 PM
JackOlsen has a reputation beyond reputeJackOlsen has a reputation beyond reputeJackOlsen has a reputation beyond reputeJackOlsen has a reputation beyond reputeJackOlsen has a reputation beyond reputeJackOlsen has a reputation beyond reputeJackOlsen has a reputation beyond reputeJackOlsen has a reputation beyond reputeJackOlsen has a reputation beyond reputeJackOlsen has a reputation beyond reputeJackOlsen has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by damon@tirerack
Jack, you're sandbagging! I'm a member on GJ, too!

Check his garage out guys:

http://garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55006

Amazing.
Thanks, Damon! I just updated the pictures on the first page of that thread.

Originally Posted by EZ Cookin
I have had mine for three years now. Very durable, and easy to clean. I was able to purchase a lip for the tile edge that you drive over to protect it and make it look finished.
Wow! Those are beautiful -- it looks like a showroom.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:31 PM
986_c6 is on a distinguished road
Saw Jack's thread on GJ and how true with inspiration for form/function/simplicity/uniqueness.

I've got work to do this summer!

Old 03-27-2012, 08:33 PM
986_c6 is on a distinguished road
Hey EZ, how slippery are those tiles and do you work on your cars a lot with those tiles?

EDH...I am just across the little pond from you near Roseville.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:21 PM
Bryce86 is on a distinguished road
I think Im going to go the ceramic tile in my garage. Considered all the obvious others but this seems the best option for my needs.

How have those that have done this dealt with the lip that will be created due to difference in height. ie. driveway to new level of floor.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Laying Porcelain tile for garage floor