GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

GT3RS3.8: Just how bad is the road noise??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 07:26 PM
rja
rja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of light
GT3RS3.8: Just how bad is the road noise??

Getting ready to pull the trigger on a car (dealer already has my $5k deposit, and we're arranging transports -- trading in my car). Unfortunately, there are no cars in my area, so I am unable to test drive one. It's a calculated risk that I'm taking. Did the same w/ my current GT3 and had no regrets.

A knowledgeable person gave me a heads-up to the road noise on the RS. I am curious from current owners, just how loud it is. I did a quick search and found statements such as "bleeding ears", "deafening”, “intolerable”, all in reference to the road noise in the 997.2 GT3RS. One person even said he couldn’t hear his engine under 4K RPM. That seems like a bit much if true.

I’m pretty hardcore about what I like out of my car. I have a have a Cargraphic exhaust which is loud. The dealer replaced my clutch and installed the regular GT3 pressure plate instead of the RS plate and I was immediately sad. People complain about the sport buckets being uncomfortable, but I love them. And so on and so on …

Having said all that, just how bad is the road noise from the RS? I’m fine with (even like) some road noise, but even a good thing can be too much if in excess. Any comments from RS owners is appreciated.

Thanks,

Old 09-21-2011, 08:14 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
there is no road noise.
it's all music. you will have no problem if you are a car guy

Old 09-21-2011, 09:02 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
those comments are rediculous...there are rattles in any GT3 or RS...if you can't hear the motor you need hearing aids or a new exhaust...I never hear the tires (road noise) even over 100+ (on the track of course with the windows open but mine is a GT3)...I have driven RS's on track and never noticed an increase in road noise but they had Sharkey's exhaust....sounds to me like someone put on some cheap *** tires

Old 09-21-2011, 10:02 PM
gtdoggie is on a distinguished road
no problem with road noise. My Gen 2 GT3RS is even quieter than my old gen 1 GT3. Surprisingly smooth.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:42 PM
rja
rja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks for the comments guys. This helps! I'm definitely a car guy and more noise is generally better -- that's car tellin' ya what's goin' on. I always laugh when people buy these cars and then comment on how brake squeal is a little annoying, etc. If you don't like the squeal, brake harder and stop whining.

Anyway, like I mentioned, there's is such thing as too much of a good thing, so I'm glad to hear it's not an issue for at least some. I'll more than likely fall into your camp.

Thanks again,

Old 09-22-2011, 12:08 AM
sjgreco is a name known to allsjgreco is a name known to allsjgreco is a name known to allsjgreco is a name known to allsjgreco is a name known to allsjgreco is a name known to all
I thought my wife's 2006 911 with TIP was much louder than my RS except for the good exhaust sound. My RS is also less loud than my 996 GT3. Good luck with your new car.

Old 09-22-2011, 01:27 PM
Edwin814 is on a distinguished road
Road noise...what road noise? All I can hear is the engine/intake/exhaust noise and LWFW chattering. None are bad noises imo. You'll love it.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:10 PM
ScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really niceScooterP is just really nice
Post pics when it comes home to roost. I think the RS is the way to go!

Old 09-22-2011, 06:09 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
Ive had my whole interior apart and there is not much sound deadening in there to begin with so I doubt its much different, thus a non issue. All the solid mounts Im running did not even phase it either.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:23 PM
Big Al has a spectacular aura aboutBig Al has a spectacular aura aboutBig Al has a spectacular aura about
In May i bought my 11 rs from out of state. There is no road noise whatsoever. All you hear is the sweet sound of the motor. In fact most rs owners including myself think its not load enough and thus remove the center muffler and get a by-pass installed. I got the sharkwerks center bypass. Car sounds awesome. You will love it!

Old 09-22-2011, 07:50 PM
QueenCity911 will become famous soon enough
I run the SW bypass and Michelin SS and it sounds perfect.... Best sound I've ever owned!!!

Old 09-22-2011, 08:32 PM
rja
Thanks again for all the comments. I'm looking forward to being able to form my own assessment once my new car arrives. It sounds like the road noise will not be an issue for me.

The only thing that's bumming me out right now is saying goodbye to my current GT3 (similar to yours Scooter). I haven't given it a second thought up until now, but with the transporter arriving to pick it up on Monday, I'm starting to feel a little sick over it. By far, it's the best car I've ever owned and it fits me like a glove. The RS has some big shoes to fill.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:01 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
The kit6 cargraphic is quite loud inside so I doubt you'll hear any road noise per se. I think that's the one that either changes the side mufflers or actually gets rid of them all together. It's been a while since I've done one but I remember resonance was certainly there.....

The tires make some noise since they're r-compound but I doubt you'll hear them over the exhaust anyways.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:39 PM
lumber will become famous soon enough
I just drove my recently purchased 10 rs back to Illinois from Tampa...1300 miles...no issues with noise

I sent my sw bypass down ahead of me so it would be on the car for my trip back...best sounding/driving/looking 3 in my opinion...you're going to love the car even more once you see it in person

Old 09-26-2011, 12:44 AM
rja
Thanks lumber. Did you by any chance buy the black / gray car from Reeves? If so, you beat me to the punch on that one ... but it wouldn't have mattered anyway because my other half does not like that color, and hates the big rear spoiler even more so anything to appease The car I am getting is white.

Glad to read your report. Really makes one wonder where words such as "bleeding ears", "deafening”, and “intolerable” enter into the picture when describing RS road noise. Probably from same folks who complain about brake noise on these types of cars.

Looking forward to forming my own first-hand opinion but it's no longer a concern for me based on replies thus far. Had it been universally acknowledged as intolerable, then I may have reconsidered.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT3RS3.8: Just how bad is the road noise??