GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Is the GT2 Front Wheel Carrier (hub assembly) Interchangeable with the TT?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2004, 09:39 PM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
Is the GT2 Front Wheel Carrier (hub assembly) Interchangeable with the TT?

I have several questions:
  1. Is the 2002 GT2 front wheel carrier (hub assembly) interchangeable with the TT? This is the cast aluminum (presumably) component that holds the wheel bearings, connects to the steering tie rod, strut and control arm.
  2. If it is interchangeable, are the three primary pick-up points (strut, control arm and steering tie rod) at a lower elevation than the TT?
  3. If they are interchangeable, are the pick-up points uniform connections? In other words, will the stock TT strut, control arm and steering tie rod bolt right up?
  4. Can anyone take a photo of this area of a GT2 from under the car??

Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

Old 05-22-2004, 12:03 AM
macfly is on a distinguished road
What do you think the consequence of swapping from all wheel drive and 2 wheel drive would be in engineering terms?

Old 05-22-2004, 01:47 AM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
Macfly,
My intent is not to swap from 4WD to 2WD. I am amidst a vast amount of information that leads me to believe lowering a 996TT has more negative effects than positive ones if all one does is install coilovers and screw them down. I will spare you the details but in essence, the ideal scenario would be to raise the axle as it penetrates the wheel carrier. This does all of the following:
  • Preserves the shock travel
  • Preserves the steering tie rod angle
  • Preserves the control arm angle
  • Eliminates the possibility of bump steer
It is essentially all relative. You either raise the axle or lower all of the pick-up points of the attached components such as the macpherson strut, the control arm and the steering tie rod.

If you lower the car (sustantially) without addressing these things, the car's handling will actually degrade.

To answer your specific question, the benefits of a 4WD to 2WD conversion would be savings in weight primarily. Not having direct knowledge of the exact configuration or makeup of the viscous coupling, I wouldn't know what the impact is with regard to power deliver over a long period of time (other than the typical disconnects done for dynoing). The PSM and power split F/R would be other issues that need to be addressed since the front drivetrain would be absent. Not much help, I know....

Old 05-22-2004, 05:20 AM
macfly is on a distinguished road
I am now curious as to why you'd want to lower it? The 996TT is generally said to be the best all round sports car in the world as it is. I would have thought a great set of tires, and a piggy bank for your 'next car fund' would be a better way to go. You'll have a hell of a job selling it if you do all that work to it, and you'll be waving goodbye to a bunch of $$ in the process.

Old 05-22-2004, 05:40 AM
msindi is on a distinguished road
Also, the euro TT is lower than the US and I believe all the parts are the same...so as long as you dont go too low you might not be messing up any of the geometry etc.

Old 05-22-2004, 05:44 AM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
I am amidst a vast amount of information that leads me to believe lowering a 996TT has more negative effects than positive ones if all one does is install coilovers and screw them down.
Hence the attraction of X73.

Old 05-22-2004, 06:23 AM
bramanporsche is on a distinguished road
There is a factory 20mm lowering kit for Turbo coupes. It includes 4 shock/spring assemblies and 2 motor mounts. You can always trust the factory kit to enhance without compromises.

Old 05-22-2004, 07:09 AM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
There is a factory 20mm lowering kit for Turbo coupes. It includes 4 shock/spring assemblies and 2 motor mounts.
That's X73.

Old 05-22-2004, 07:16 AM
KPV
That addresses the rear, but what about the front?

Old 05-22-2004, 07:24 AM
That addresses the rear
What addresses the rear?

Old 05-22-2004, 07:56 AM
KPV
I spoke too soon. I wasn't thinking straight.

Old 05-22-2004, 08:41 AM
bramanporsche is on a distinguished road
The kit covers all four corners. (It's a Tequipment item for about 3k)

Old 05-22-2004, 08:43 AM
I wasn't thinking straight.
Sounds like an example of the "Finite Brain Cell Theory"; a theory that I personaly, and unfortunately, seem to be making into a fact...glad I'm not alone.

Old 05-22-2004, 09:29 AM
KPV

Old 05-22-2004, 11:26 AM
KPV