GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

2007 GT3 - Spin Out Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 09:27 PM
bruce88 is on a distinguished road
2007 GT3 - Spin Out Problem

Hey Guys,

I am a reasonably accomplished driver and have been tracking a couple other cars for the past two + years . Earlier this year I bought a 2007 GT3 and have taken it to the track several times but have had a problem of the rear end breaking loose and spinning out before I know it. Gonna have a highly regarded shop set up the alignment and corner balance the car tomorrow. Wondering if anyone else has experienced the same problem and what mods/solutions are available.

Appreciate your help.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:14 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
did you enter turn and reduce throttle input?
if so, you will spin,
slow in fast out. i mean SLOW in. PARK the damn car at corner entery, i mean PARK IT. then increase throttle, NEVER reduce, once you are on throttle, you can only increase, liftting causes spin. no matter what other cars you tracked before, 911 is not a car, it's a demon, takes years to figure it out.

alignment is important. you in LA, alarcon is great, betu as BBI, eric at hergeshiemer, dan at speedgallery, loren at werks 2, to name a few in your area will align it well.

Old 06-10-2013, 01:45 AM
TurboLover has a spectacular aura aboutTurboLover has a spectacular aura aboutTurboLover has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by mooty
if so, you will spin,
slow in fast out. i mean SLOW in. PARK the damn car at corner entery, i mean PARK IT. then increase throttle, NEVER reduce, once you are on throttle, you can only increase, liftting causes spin. no matter what other cars you tracked before, 911 is not a car, it's a demon, takes years to figure it out.

alignment is important. you in LA, alarcon is great, betu as BBI, eric at hergeshiemer, dan at speedgallery, loren at werks 2, to name a few in your area will align it well.
What about good places to get alignments in Orange County, CA? Won't the back end want to come out on you as you increase throttle as you are turning or will PASM step in and allow you to counter steer and straighten the car out?

Old 06-10-2013, 02:10 AM
Comet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to all
Originally Posted by mooty
if so, you will spin,
This!

Start off slow until you understand the characteristics of the car, only then can you begin to truly play around with throttle control in the corners. But Always slow in, fast out with a P-car.

Before going into a corner, you always have to remember "everything is in the back" and balance accordingly. I find it helped me a lot with the whole RR setup when I first jumped into a P-car.

It's a difficult car to get the hang of. I would throw my 4S around corners like it was child's play. Once I got the GT3, it was back to square one almost.
They used to call it the Grim Reaper's company car for a reason. If it is available to you, try the Porsche Driving School.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:23 AM
seapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of light
No psm in 07 gt3 just traction control which is different. Best advice is hire a coach/instructor familiar with the gt3 and drop down a level and learn the car doing DEs and get as much seat time as possible.
Make sure alignment is appropriate. Start with mich PSS tires too.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:25 AM
lawjdc is on a distinguished road
Easily corrected. Check your rear sway bar. For a non-RS 2007 GT3, try the middle setting. Your snap oversteer will disappear. I learned the hard way after several spins.

Also, don't listen to the RS guys for setup advice. The extra rear track width on the RS requires a different set up.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:39 AM
spyerx is a jewel in the roughspyerx is a jewel in the roughspyerx is a jewel in the rough
GMG in OC will do track alignments and corner balance. They know these cars very well.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:09 AM
bruce88 is on a distinguished road
Hey Guys. Really appreciate the advice. Taking the car to "West End Alignment" this morning to have it aligned and corner balanced. Back to he track this week end and plan to work with the instructors. It is a "Demon" but know it'll be a great track car for me once I get it under control! :-)

Old 06-10-2013, 09:13 AM
RAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud ofRAudi Driver has much to be proud of
Darin will take care of you and he's reasonable. Bring a book or something to read as you'll be in the car for quite a while.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:06 AM
frayed will become famous soon enough
What mooty said. 911's are a unique creature on the track. Most front engined cars (except perhaps some fiats and S2000s) are very forgiving when you lift mid corner. 911s will spit you off the track backwards, the older ones, like my 964 Turbo being waaaaay worse than the new metal.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:57 PM
kris is on a distinguished road
Everything said above is the truth. Get some instructor time and leave the nannies on for now.

Also get the car in the air and check to see if your diff is ok. Rear end can be very loose under hard braking (which you do in a 911 prepping for slow-in) if the diff is shot. Factory diffs are fragile

Old 06-10-2013, 05:28 PM
m3995 has a spectacular aura aboutm3995 has a spectacular aura about
Had exactly the same problem, I spun my 07 GT3 a couple of times when I first got it. How I fixed it:

Corner balance
Set rear sway to middle
Swapped Pilot sport cups for Super Sports and now Hoosier R6
Seat time

Good luck great car!

Old 06-10-2013, 08:32 PM
512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of
As advised definitely check the alignment and suspension. I hope that you have the stock wheel/tire size. If you have 20 Inch wheels, chances are the car cannot be truly aligned as the side walls are much too stiff (let me know if you want more information on that).

Pay very close attention to the toe adjustment in the rear, as even a tiny amount of toe OUT will make the car incredibly unstable. As such make sure all bushings are checked.

It is worth asking the alignment shop if they know how to check the suspension kinemantics. That is the geometry as the suspension goes through it's up and down travel. For some suspension set-ups (i.e., with aftermarket parts) the rear toe should not be set with the inner eccentric. PM me if you need more information on that.

Also, as said in previous posts 911's must be driven into a corner SLOW and you should only go/roll into the accelerator when you are "absolutely" sure that you don't need or want to come out of the accelerator.

Another point to take into account that the harder you go around a corner the more you unload the inside front tire and more times than not the front inside tire is in the air. When that happens the steering goes very light and it becomes incredibly sensitive to movement.

I don't know if you ride motorcycles or not, but the techniques are very similar for riding a bike and driving a 911.

Having said the above, once you "learn", "master" how to drive them, there is nothing like it.

Cheers.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:44 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TurboLover
What about good places to get alignments in Orange County, CA? Won't the back end want to come out on you as you increase throttle as you are turning or will PASM step in and allow you to counter steer and straighten the car out?
no psm on your car
pasm only makes shocks stiff or not so stiff, nothing to do with helping you not spin.
if TC came on, you are not driving smoothly.
if your rear comes around as you increase throttle, then you didn't unwind the wheel enough.

lawjdc is right. i drive RS mostly. so i have more rear end grip. you might move the rear bar softer.
however, i also track a 997.1non RS. for ME, the sway bar is useless. i dont feel much difference. but i am also know to drive around the car's prob lol

west end is great, they will set you up.

Last edited by mooty; 06-10-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:23 AM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by kris
Everything said above is the truth. Get some instructor time and leave the nannies on for now.

Also get the car in the air and check to see if your diff is ok. Rear end can be very loose under hard braking (which you do in a 911 prepping for slow-in) if the diff is shot. Factory diffs are fragile
+1, there was an entire thread about this. Apparently the diffs that have gone out are mostly undectable on the road, but on track they make their presence known. But the rest of the advice given is all really good and very much applicable. I had an early car and those things were so touchy, and not much warning before you're pointed in the wrong direction 911's in general are such a hoot to drive though!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2007 GT3 - Spin Out Problem