GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

GT3 brake pads..what color?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 11:17 PM
karlgt3 is on a distinguished road
GT3 brake pads..what color?

I took my car into the dealer to demonstrate the loud "groan" noise the rear brakes make when they are warm. The mechanic said that the rear pad had a "high spot" on them and the pads needed to be changed. Yellow pads came on the car. The parts distributer told the delaer that the yellow pads are for the steel rotars and the PCCBs (which I have) are supposed to be black. So they put black pads on the car.

Freak'n dealer. Can someone tell me what color came on their GT3? Either post or call my cell at 585-764-8072 Thank you!

Karl

Old 06-22-2004, 11:23 PM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Re: GT3 brake pads..what color?

Originally posted by karlgt3
I took my car into the dealer to demonstrate the loud "groan" noise the rear brakes make when they are warm. The mechanic said that the rear pad had a "high spot" on them and the pads needed to be changed. Yellow pads came on the car. The parts distributer told the delaer that the yellow pads are for the steel rotars and the PCCBs (which I have) are supposed to be black. So they put black pads on the car.

Freak'n dealer. Can someone tell me what color came on their GT3? Either post or call my cell at 585-764-8072 Thank you!

Karl
They are yellow pagid's on the steel rotor GT3's...not the same as the yellow's bought from pagid dealers directly...Porsche has them custom spec'd...I believe a little softer than the standard pagid yellows. I believe PCCB use the Blacks, but I am not positive. Once again, the Porsche Black pagid's would not be the same as the standard black pagid's...I am sure someone with PCCB will chime in to confirm this...

EDIT: I stand corrected...yellow for PCCB

Last edited by rockitman; 06-23-2004 at 02:02 AM.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:29 PM
Sloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud of
I believe there are three different pads available. Black is a comfort pad (not suitable for track), yellow is the sport pad (standard PCCB pad and suitable for some track use), and green (track use only). I would insist that the dealer put the yellow sport pad in since that is what the PCCB's came with... do not track with the black pads.

Old 06-23-2004, 12:38 AM
JASCLASS will become famous soon enoughJASCLASS will become famous soon enough
You are supposed to have from the factory with steel or PCCB setups yellow pads, these come on the GT2 and GT3.

Old 06-23-2004, 06:29 AM
I am so pissed. I picked up my car and they installed black pads! The service department told me that at least 3 contacts inside Porsche told them that the yellow where the wrong pads. They went so far as to make the service technician take pictures of the yellow pads that were on the car. In fact they accused me of changing the pads!

By the way, the yellow pads that came off the are after 1600 miles and 45 minutes of easy track driving were hammered. They had massive cracks all over and discoloration. The rotors looked as new however.

I am going to assume that the parts dept is mixxing up the yellow for the steel rotors and the PCCBs. I might as well convert to steel right now and end the worry.

Old 06-23-2004, 07:36 AM
I am so pissed. I picked up my car and they installed black pads! The service department told me that at least 3 contacts inside Porsche told them that the yellow where the wrong pads. They went so far as to make the service technician take pictures of the yellow pads that were on the car. In fact they accused me of changing the pads!

By the way, the yellow pads that came off the are after 1600 miles and 45 minutes of easy track driving were hammered. They had massive cracks all over and discoloration. The rotors looked as new however.

I am going to assume that the parts dept is mixxing up the yellow for the steel rotors and the PCCBs. I might as well convert to steel right now and end the worry.
Karl, Your dealership is giving you bad info, as for them mixing up the yellows for steel and PCCB isnt a factor as the pad is the same for both applications, these pads that come on the car are actually made by PAGID.

Old 06-23-2004, 11:46 PM
macfly is on a distinguished road
karl, once you swap for steel try the Pagid Yellow RS-19 pads, they are awesome at the track, and great in daily driving.

Old 06-24-2004, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by macfly
karl, once you swap for steel try the Pagid Yellow RS-19 pads, they are awesome at the track, and great in daily driving.
But they will squeal more then the stocks, but its typical for PAGID.

Old 06-24-2004, 01:47 AM
4Kurves is on a distinguished road
The pads on my PCCB brakes are yellow (as others have said).

Karl - can you elaborate on the groaning sound your brakes were making? Did they groan only when applied?

I'm getting a groan from suspension or something when turn left or right - starting with right turns only now in both directions. I thought it was the suspension but it also groans when starting up from a dead stop - as if the brakes were stuck.

Thanks,
Kevin

Old 06-26-2004, 02:57 AM
That is the EXACT noise that I got. It sounded like I left the e-brake on. As the brake temp increased it got worse when I took off from a dead stop. At first I thought that it was drive train related. The rear pads had a wierd spot (discolored) on them that caused the noise.

Karl

Old 07-03-2004, 02:56 AM
Z06
Z06 is on a distinguished road
I have PCCB on my car and after ONE light track day and i do mean light (scared of breaking the rotors) the brake pads where destroyed, cracked and chunked, there is about 80% brake pad left. My car squealed under light braking and had all sorts of noises including the groaning sound but it came from the front.

Does this happen to all the track used PCCB with the stock yellow pad?

Old 07-03-2004, 05:07 AM
4Kurves is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by Z06
I have PCCB on my car and after ONE light track day and i do mean light (scared of breaking the rotors) the brake pads where destroyed, cracked and chunked, there is about 80% brake pad left. My car squealed under light braking and had all sorts of noises including the groaning sound but it came from the front.

Does this happen to all the track used PCCB with the stock yellow pad?
I have the PCCB and I haven't had this problem at all. I have 3 track days on my car - two of which (Streets of Willow and Buttonwillow) have extremely hard braking sections. I don't baby my car but I don't abuse it either. Fast laps at Buttonwillow had me using threshold braking several times a lap. I have a total of 470 miles of track and probably 2,000 miles or agressive canyon driving on the car.

From my cursatory inspection it looks as if I have plenty of pad left but I am servicing the brakes and some other items tomorrow. If I'm donw to 50% on the pads I'll replace them.

-Kevin

Old 07-07-2004, 01:05 PM
I now have the official Porsche bulletin that states the new brake pad specs for the car. My pads were hammered after a very easy track day! The new spec pads are black. Karl

Old 07-07-2004, 07:40 PM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
I now have the official Porsche bulletin that states the new brake pad specs for the car. My pads were hammered after a very easy track day! The new spec pads are black. Karl
Must be Porsche's fix for PCCB...putting on a softer more rotor friendly compound. Sad!!!

Worst of all, if they do go bad and you are using a harder compound they will probably deny warranty coverage...double sad!!!!

Old 07-07-2004, 10:10 PM
Guy
Guy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant futureGuy has a brilliant future
What is the code on the Black pads they fitted?

The Black Porsche Pads are comfort pads and NOT for track use. However, Pagid (who make porsche OEM pads) also sell a black pad called RS14, which is for track use - confused, you will be!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT3 brake pads..what color?