GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Get GT3...check...take it to the track to get acquainted...check...(PICS!)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 05:41 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
and oh ya...uhh...you guys getting more than 2 events out of tires arent driving hard enough...

4 days=chorded Cup sports...BOO FRIGGIN' YA

Old 07-22-2008, 05:45 PM
docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sechsgang
The only thing the gt3 doesnt have that the turbo does is tons of torque for getting out of slow, tight corners...that said, the lessened weight means that you can just carry more speed INTO the corner and in the end carry more speed out. The gt3 is a simply magnificent platform and honestly, still surprises me just HOW much fun it is. However, the car is DEFINITELY harder to drive at the limit and if your driving the car RIGHT, isnt exactly the most sure feeling car out there...but thats what makes the car soooo much fun to wheel. Oh ya...and the gt3 has something I like to call...a "climax soundtrack" aka my nickname for her...da screamer!

Great answer! The GT3's do have an awesome exhaust note...reminds me a bit of the GT3 Cup Cars.

Also, if you don't mind me asking.....here is the thing I worry about the most:

Are you turning faster lap times in your GT3 than you did in your well sorted Turbo?

It sounds for sure like your GT3 is more fun, but are you actually able to drive it faster than you did in your turbo?

thanks...Dan

Old 07-22-2008, 05:50 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by docdan
Great answer! The GT3's do have an awesome exhaust note...reminds me a bit of the GT3 Cup Cars.

Also, if you don't mind me asking.....here is the thing I worry about the most:

Are you turning faster lap times in your GT3 than you did in your well sorted Turbo?

It sounds for sure like your GT3 is more fun, but are you actually able to drive it faster than you did in your turbo?

thanks...Dan
I cant give you an official answer as I dont have traqmate in this car...BUT, I know my turbo has shorter gearing, and I was CONSTANTLY in higher gears in the gt3 (with longer gearing) coming out of corners and entering corners with at-least 5-7 mph more than my turbo due to less understeer on entry and the ability to REALLY rotate with ease. I WHOLEHEARTEDLY feel that the GT3 is atleast a second faster everywhere near stock (meaning I was only on cup sports...not even hoosiers). The car is absolutely amazing.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:22 AM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sechsgang
The only thing the gt3 doesnt have that the turbo does is tons of torque for getting out of slow, tight corners...that said, the lessened weight means that you can just carry more speed INTO the corner and in the end carry more speed out. The gt3 is a simply magnificent platform and honestly, still surprises me just HOW much fun it is. However, the car is DEFINITELY harder to drive at the limit and if your driving the car RIGHT, isnt exactly the most sure feeling car out there...but thats what makes the car soooo much fun to wheel. Oh ya...and the gt3 has something I like to call...a "climax soundtrack" aka my nickname for her...da screamer!
Couldn't agree more... Very hard to swallow the feeling at first, but then you get use to the feeling and realize there is nothing wrong, drive HARDER

Old 07-23-2008, 05:28 PM
RasrGirl is on a distinguished road

Mr. Sechsgang, if you are ever in Southern California, I invite you to take my 997 Gt3 on the track for a couple of laps. I have driven a 996 GT3, a 997 TT and of course my 997 GT3. There is no comparison between cars. I've put in 36 track days in 10 months and driven almost all of the tracks in Southern Cali (except for Thunderhill). I can relate to your handleability comment at the limit -- but if you take my car straight into Death Valley from Highway 15 (which takes you into VEGAS), at 182mph the car is phenominal and feeling completely stable. =) And as far as the "scream" i SOO agree.
I call the 997, at 5500rpms in 4th gear, the "*** Line" and the car just begs to push and push and push. I know I will NEVER have my car to the limit, maybe up to about 70%.mmmm so much!

Enjoy your car and keep pushing....!

Old 07-23-2008, 07:27 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RasrGirl

Mr. Sechsgang, if you are ever in Southern California, I invite you to take my 997 Gt3 on the track for a couple of laps. I have driven a 996 GT3, a 997 TT and of course my 997 GT3. There is no comparison between cars. I've put in 36 track days in 10 months and driven almost all of the tracks in Southern Cali (except for Thunderhill). I can relate to your handleability comment at the limit -- but if you take my car straight into Death Valley from Highway 15 (which takes you into VEGAS), at 182mph the car is phenominal and feeling completely stable. =) And as far as the "scream" i SOO agree.
I call the 997, at 5500rpms in 4th gear, the "*** Line" and the car just begs to push and push and push. I know I will NEVER have my car to the limit, maybe up to about 70%.mmmm so much!

Umm wow, wanna get married??? I'm young and fine :P

Old 07-23-2008, 09:31 PM

See, unlike others...Ill be taking you up on your offer. I will most likely be doing to the f430 challenge race at LS a bit later this year (not quite socal but maybe Ill make an LA run...would love to have you there...I just dont think the 997 can do for me what the 996 though...guess well find out soon enough.

-Drew

Last edited by sechsgang; 07-23-2008 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:09 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !

hi, sorry i forgot your name, but we met at PCA event at Button willow earlier this year. i was in a white 996GT3. PCA - GGR will have 8/16-17 weekend at thunderhill. come up. it's a good track not not as hot as button willow.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:12 PM
fyi, your car is simply gorgeous. BEEYOOTEEFUL! Where was that picture taken. What track is that?? Northeast somewhere? I saw your comment about chorded tires....
BYOT. What was i thinking telling you to push harder. hahaha. you obviously push enough.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:20 PM
Mooty,

I have been going back and forth about the Thunderhill TT. I have 3 days of POC (YIKES!) at Laguna Seca on Aug 22nd. I have heard fabulous things about Thunderhill. I would need an instructor. I thought it was only about 3 hrs from LS but found out it's more like 5.5... whine whine whine. AND i don't know anyone either......ugh.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:23 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
Mooty,

I have been going back and forth about the Thunderhill TT. I have 3 days of POC (YIKES!) at Laguna Seca on Aug 22nd. I have heard fabulous things about Thunderhill. I would need an instructor. I thought it was only about 3 hrs from LS but found out it's more like 5.5... whine whine whine. AND i don't know anyone either......ugh.

GGR has lots of great instructors.
it's not a hard track to learn
heck just do GGR at TH, then chill out at napa for some nice spa treatment and food then hit Laguna with POC.

from LS to TH = 270 miles. and once you pass vacaville, you can go PRETTY fast for a while.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:20 PM
RasrGirl didn't mean to scare you off, I was just joking about marriage, but not the other stuff LOL

If you are ever in the NE, you are welcome to drive my GT2

Old 07-24-2008, 09:31 AM
fyi, your car is simply gorgeous. BEEYOOTEEFUL! Where was that picture taken. What track is that?? Northeast somewhere? I saw your comment about chorded tires....
BYOT. What was i thinking telling you to push harder. hahaha. you obviously push enough.
That was at Summit Pt. in West Va...not exactly the nicest track here...haha.

Here are a couple at Pocono Raceway in PA

And... taking my first student out for a thrill ride (lol, at a ferrari event...I should get PCA certification later this year...)

Old 07-24-2008, 11:11 AM
Mmmm!! SECHSGANG YOUR CAR IS beautiful I tell you, I LOVE the color. Excellent choice! I need to win the lottery. =) Hey, what tires do you use for the track?

Hey IllM3! you didn't scare me off silly guy. I am not easily scared. Unless I do something aboslutely novice like coming in too hot on turn 3 at California Speedway, lifting and slamming into the tire wall....... ((

But why ruin a good thing - do we HAVE TO get married?

Old 07-24-2008, 11:14 AM
Mmmm!! SECHSGANG YOUR CAR IS beautiful I tell you, I LOVE the color. Excellent choice! I need to win the lottery. =) Hey, what tires do you use for the track?

Hey IllM3! you didn't scare me off silly guy. I am not easily scared. Unless I do something aboslutely novice like coming in too hot on turn 3 at California Speedway, lifting and slamming into the tire wall....... ((

But why ruin a good thing - do we HAVE TO get married?
Win the lottery...maybe well trade for 6 months, that way, youll realize that the 6 is the way to go and Ill give you a sweetheart deal...

or, Ill go half and half with you on a 997 cup..we sell both and do all the major clubraces and IMSA Gt3 cup...just for fun that is...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Get GT3...check...take it to the track to get acquainted...check...(PICS!)