GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Get GT3...check...take it to the track to get acquainted...check...(PICS!)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 08:33 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
How exactly is the 997 GT3 closer to 997 Cups than the 996 to 996 Cups? If I remember correctly Porsche took the 996 GT3's and gutted them to make the 996 Cups whereas they build the cups from ground up now. Not to mention all the 997's now have sequentials.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:22 AM
RasrGirl is on a distinguished road
"See, unlike others...Ill be taking you up on your offer. I will most likely be doing to the f430 challenge race at LS a bit later this year (not quite socal but maybe Ill make an LA run...would love to have you there...I just dont think the 997 can do for me what the 996 though...guess well find out soon enough.

Win the lottery...maybe well trade for 6 months, that way, youll realize that the 6 is the way to go and Ill give you a sweetheart deal...

Ok Guys. I didn't start this. HE did. I haven't ever said any car was inferior, I can't imagine doing that especially on this forum. We all love our cars for whatever reasons we have. I simply posted an opinion after reading Drews opinion about what the 997 can do for him vs. the 996. I just found it simply, a strange comment, given the fact that the 997 IS a new and improved version of the 996. And then, I responded to the second comment he made.......The 997GT3 997 had already been in active race use for several months. In addition to a new, 415 hp (309 kW) 3.6 litre flat-six engine the vehicle features "zero lift" aerodynamics, meaning the car creates only aerodynamic downforce but no "lift", which pulls upwards and away from the road surface and affects overall grip. The 997 GT3 and GT3 RS is the most powerful naturally aspirated six cylinder engine in any production car. The platform (997 platform) is the exact platform used by the Cup cars....which is why several of the motorsports/racing groups in my neck of the woods were looking to take it off my hands not even a month after delivery.

I wasn't meaning to offend anyone but Drew brought it up, so I just wanted to respond.

Hey, IllM3, I'll take you up on your offer. I covet the GT2 right now. Those guys are always pulling away on the straights.... ( I can't imagine more power than what i have now. =)

Smile everyone, I'm just a girl with an opinion here.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:32 AM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by 911TurboS2
Being the previous owner of this blue car, which I never tracked, but having tracked both another 996 GT3 I owned, as well as my current GT3RS, the cars are very different. The 996 GT3 has a tendency to tramline, and obviously does not have the electronic gizmos of the 997 GT3. However, the 997 GT3 is much closer to the current generation of cup cars than was the 996...and thus proves to be a better racecar, at least in my hands.

-Gerry

07 GT3 RS Clubsport
Now better racecar is a very different story...but man, the 996 is a blast. Gerry, thanks for placing the perfect car for me at Mainline...I would have never found the car without you wanting your current RS. I dont think I have ever felt this way about a car. Thanks a TON man!

Old 07-25-2008, 09:34 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
RasrGirl, you'll find that in the world of automotive enthusiasts, it's not as clear cut as new and improved, guys get attached to certain models and if a new model changes any of that we tend to swear it off.

Take the new M3's (E92) for example, the new model is new and improved as well, but it's 200+ lbs heavier, number steering, less feel etc than the previous model (E46) And therefore the people who loved the previous generation dont like the new one, and the same went for the E46 m3 when it first came out with people who loved the E36 M3.

Same goes for perforamance cars across the board (Corvette, Viper, Evo, STI). Cars are getting more powerful, but they are getting bigger, and requiring more gizmos which for a purist is a cardinal sin. And the 997 GT3 is no different. Faster and more refined, but much less raw, and hard core.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:38 AM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by RasrGirl
"See, unlike others...Ill be taking you up on your offer. I will most likely be doing to the f430 challenge race at LS a bit later this year (not quite socal but maybe Ill make an LA run...would love to have you there...I just dont think the 997 can do for me what the 996 though...guess well find out soon enough.

Win the lottery...maybe well trade for 6 months, that way, youll realize that the 6 is the way to go and Ill give you a sweetheart deal...

Ok Guys. I didn't start this. HE did. I haven't ever said any car was inferior, I can't imagine doing that especially on this forum. We all love our cars for whatever reasons we have. I simply posted an opinion after reading Drews opinion about what the 997 can do for him vs. the 996. I just found it simply, a strange comment, given the fact that the 997 IS a new and improved version of the 996. And then, I responded to the second comment he made.......The 997GT3 997 had already been in active race use for several months. In addition to a new, 415 hp (309 kW) 3.6 litre flat-six engine the vehicle features "zero lift" aerodynamics, meaning the car creates only aerodynamic downforce but no "lift", which pulls upwards and away from the road surface and affects overall grip. The 997 GT3 and GT3 RS is the most powerful naturally aspirated six cylinder engine in any production car. The platform (997 platform) is the exact platform used by the Cup cars....which is why several of the motorsports/racing groups in my neck of the woods were looking to take it off my hands not even a month after delivery.

I wasn't meaning to offend anyone but Drew brought it up, so I just wanted to respond.

Hey, IllM3, I'll take you up on your offer. I covet the GT2 right now. Those guys are always pulling away on the straights.... ( I can't imagine more power than what i have now. =)

Smile everyone, I'm just a girl with an opinion here.

hey hey, its no ones really gettin on ya...trust me, that looks far different. We used to know him as...VICIOUS...

People are just curious about the differences from two people that have some credibility to their name...thats all. Its like a argument btw a married couple...aint pretty but after it happens its all for the better (hopefully...not that I would know though...aint hitched ).

Keep it up R-Girl.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:40 AM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Drew,

Cobalt = HOT

Nice choice...

Can we get another go-kart meet going? Instead of meeting Starbucks, get the coffee to go and let's go racin'.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by Mike/A.W.E.
Drew,

Cobalt = HOT

Nice choice...

Can we get another go-kart meet going? Instead of meeting Starbucks, get the coffee to go and let's go racin'.
I say we get coffee then go to NJMP...I havent been there yet and its a bit more to scale!

They actually have an INSANE kart track apparently as well.

That said, ya man, lets hit up MAGP soon.

-Drew

Old 07-25-2008, 09:46 AM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sechsgang
I say we get coffee then go to NJMP...I havent been there yet and its a bit more to scale!

They actually have an INSANE kart track apparently as well.

That said, ya man, lets hit up MAGP soon.

-Drew
Round up the troops...

Old 07-25-2008, 09:51 AM
ya, I know Im getting slaughtered...but I think the cars with the heat are slower...haha

Old 07-25-2008, 10:04 AM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
This wont be a J car, Im putting that money into grand-am and wanted a car I can enjoy on the road. I also wanted a car with no real mods to just drive home that what I am doing with the car is me and not the car. (Im sick of the, oh the car saves you with the turbo...)

Drew, congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-25-2008, 10:06 AM
Originally Posted by tom kerr
Drew, congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thanks man, I guess I just didnt have the ***** to turn my turbo loose like you...haha

Old 07-25-2008, 10:09 AM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RasrGirl
Drew (Sechsgang) you're killing me! Ok, dude, why on earth would I even consider a 996 GT3 when I have the improved version in a 997? What could you possibly be thinking? Why would I prefer less power, less braking ability? Less torque (ugh!!!) LESS REVS! UGH!!! When my engine revs higher i get to carry the power curve farther up the rpm spectrum. Oh, and Less handleability. I am not here to diss yours or anyone's car for that matter, but your comments crack me up that you might turn me on to the 6GT3. Leave me be. I even like the way my car looks. I am fortunate to take delivery of one of the very first 997Gt3s in America. And I see no possible reason why I'd want to "trade down". Hell I even got impatient with my 996 C2 so I sold it. If i were to win the lottery, I'd buy the 997Gt3 stripped, and maybe a 997GT3RS since there are so few of them. I would also go find a 993 and make a cup car out of it..... Less weight, more power. And oh, yah, I'd get an enclosed trailor. And about 10 sets of wheels with all kinds of tires to try out..... And yah, I'd hire me some guys to take care of my car for me..... =))

By the way, what PCA certification did you get? Congratulations! I am going to come up your way sometime in the next 24 months and do some of the tracks hopefully. Do you have your time trial license or Club Racing? You aren't club racing that beautiful blue car are you?? SO MANY QUESTIONS lol......

WOW, Drew you are from PHILLY arent ya!!!

Old 07-25-2008, 10:24 AM
WOW, Drew you are from PHILLY arent ya!!!
That would he a "hellz ya".

Philly rocks!

Wait, I see it...NATIONAL 6speed showing at VIR next year...muahahahah

Old 07-25-2008, 11:06 AM
That would he a "hellz ya".

Philly rocks!

Wait, I see it...NATIONAL 6speed showing at VIR next year...muahahahah

you know we will be there, set the date!!

Old 07-25-2008, 11:30 AM
you know we will be there, set the date!!
and it will be EPIC!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Get GT3...check...take it to the track to get acquainted...check...(PICS!)