GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Will there be a Next Generation RS?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 08:18 PM
Gradoholic is on a distinguished road
Will there be a Next Generation RS?

I absolutely love the 3.8 RS and those delicious centerlock wheels, but I already own a 997, albiet the most humble little 3.6 coupe. While I'm greatly envious of the fellow 6speeders who can afford a fleet of 997 variants, I just can't justify buying a high output racing version of my current daily driver. So I'm thinking about waiting for the next generation 991/998 RS.

Maybe I'm just noticing the recent rash of RS's from Porsche, but I don't remember a lot of RS's made when I was younger. Back in the 1980s, there was the Club Sport, but it wasn't like the 2.7RS hotrod. The 964 RS America was cool because it had no sunroof, unfinished door panel and no AC, but it had the same engine as the C2 of its era. I vaguely remembered a 3.8RS 993, but was it released in the US? It seemed like NA hotrodded 911s were scarce from 1973 2.7RS to the 996 GT3RS which didn't even come to the US. The 997 GT3 RS are the first US legal factory hotrodded RS that are readily available since the 2.7 RS original grail car and are absolutely yummy while the 3.8 RS is really quite unbeliveable. With all the insider info on this board, does anybody have a line on the rumor mill about Porsche definitely planning to continue the RS platform? With VW in the picture and "green" being the buzzword in 2009, will Porsche build a lightweight crazy overpowered naturally aspirated 911?

My apologies to the site from which I linked these pictures but I like visual aids.

from Europeancollectibles.com

Club Sport
From qv500.com, except the one I'm thinking of has a CS script along the inner edge of the headlight.

from autobellausa.com
RS America 964

993 RS 3.8
from 911faceoff.com

from freefoto.com
996 GT3 RS, the one that got my attention after Jeremy Clarkson pointed out the sticker emblem and the plastic rear window

from Porsche.com
the 3.6 RS, the first US legal hotrodded RS since the original?

Last edited by Gradoholic; 10-19-2009 at 08:33 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:42 PM
Grant is on a distinguished road
Even the 73RS was never imported to the US through official channels. Same with the 993RS 3.8...

Old 10-20-2009, 03:57 PM
Edwin814 is on a distinguished road
would like to know too. the last thing i want is to buy a 3.8 RS and few years later, a new RS comes out

Old 10-20-2009, 05:44 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Edwin814
would like to know too. the last thing i want is to buy a 3.8 RS and few years later, a new RS comes out
you're thinking too much...enjoy what we have right now, if the next car is better, then you worry about getting it later, not now.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:57 PM
It would be prohibitive for me to buy a 3.8 RS and then trade it in a few years later for a 991/998 RS. The depreciation from the 3.8 would be more expensive than my 3.6 997 would fetch on trade in!

If I buy anything with an RS on it from Porsche, it'll be a keeper.

I had no idea the 2.7RS was never officially imported to the US! Very interesting.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:11 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !

Old 10-20-2009, 07:45 PM
GTS-R is on a distinguished road
I'll bet we continue to see RS versions in the future. I wouldn't be surprised if it offered PDK now that it can handle 500hp in the new turbo.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:49 PM
Thanks Luis, I left that one out accidently!

Man, if they had PDK in the RS, it would be a reason for me not to wait for future editions. The 430 scuderia and the challenge stradale broke my heart (In reality, just the stradale because it is literally a perfect car) with F1 trans only.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:58 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
I can't see why Porsche would not at least offer PDK as an option on the GT3 within the next couple of years. It's a fantastic gearbox.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:09 PM
rja
rja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of lightrja is a glorious beacon of light
I'm waiting for the next gen too. I love the MK2, esp. the RS, and I'm really, really tempted, but it will really chap my *** to finally get it and then 6 mo later start reading all the stories about how much better the next 911 platform is (998?). I'm just going to wait for the next platform instead of a facelift.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:50 AM
Grant is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by rja
I'm waiting for the next gen too. I love the MK2, esp. the RS, and I'm really, really tempted, but it will really chap my *** to finally get it and then 6 mo later start reading all the stories about how much better the next 911 platform is (998?). I'm just going to wait for the next platform instead of a facelift.
Just remember than the 2010/2011 RS 3.8L may be the last-ever Porsche to use the GT1-style motor. And it comes w/o Direct Fuel Injection. The next motor is unproven and may or may not (more likely, imo) be as good and durable. I also like not having DFI, since the poor quality fuel in the US and DFI seem to combine in a way that produces a great deal of carbonization in the engine and exhaust. Current motor is very impressive and race-tested.

Waiting for the next RS may be missing an opportunity to purchase a future classic.

The one area where the current car suffers though is in weight. It is too heavy, imo, and the next RS will likely be lighter (but larger overall with a lesser motor, and PDK - I prefer manual).