GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

996 GT3 Track Mod Advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 11:16 AM
Mcgyver has a spectacular aura aboutMcgyver has a spectacular aura aboutMcgyver has a spectacular aura about
996 GT3 Track Mod Advice

After two track days (Thunderhill and Infineon), it's becoming increasingly obvious that I need a few "extras" for the car. Based on feedback from many, I would like to pursue safety first and install a roll bar, seats, harness, and brakes.

Can Sharkwerks take care of this?

Are the GT3 euro seats a "must" or is there a better alternative?

I'm replacing the ceramics with steel. . . should I go with the GT3 cup rotors or a Brembo package?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 11-03-2010, 11:29 AM
Former Vendor
Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mcgyver
After two track days (Thunderhill and Infineon), it's becoming increasingly obvious that I need a few "extras" for the car. Based on feedback from many, I would like to pursue safety first and install a roll bar, seats, harness, and brakes.

I'm replacing the ceramics with steel. . . should I go with the GT3 cup rotors or a Brembo package?

Safety first is a GOOD place to start. Sharkwerks would be a great place to get your cars safety up to snuff. They are an authorized installer of all BBI products. Here are a few pics of our Streetcup roll bar. Please let me know if you have any questions about pricing or want to see the bar in different cars or colors.

The Euro seat is great. however if you do not need the seat to be a folding one, I would consider a nice set of Recaro fixed back race seats. and an set of HANS approved harnesses. As for the brakes, We have been switching out the ceramics for the Brembo kits. And on the cup cars we actually do a 355mm AP rotor with a custom hat front and rear. The life of the Brembo and the AP are about 2.5 times greater then the factory cup rotors.

Please feel free to contact me anytime for more information.

Here is our Streetcup bar

Old 11-03-2010, 11:44 AM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
if you want off the shelf bar, sharky can do it for sure.
but you are in the bay area, if you want a real bar, contact tcdesignfab.com, they are 15 miles from sharky and alex knows tony. just ask alex, he will give you the same response.

996gt3 is the best "deal" though not the best seat. i prefer recaro elephant ear seat. once you add seat, bracket and slider, it;'s $3000 per seat. 6gt3 seats are 2000 or so used per PAIR, includes ALL hardware. you just bolt it in. really just bolt it in. zero mod. sharky can do it so is harness. get a HANS and use HANS harness.

brakes, your front is direct swap for 996 cup rotors or deman rotors (very heavy, but for DE it's fine and will last you 3x longer than cup rotors). google deman rotor you shall find. rear is also 997 cup. there are other set up's but all cost more. shark can do all that.

brembo, ap are all bee's knees, but $$$

Last edited by mooty; 11-03-2010 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:47 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I have the 996 Euro seats, and have tried the CGT, and 997 Sport Seats (GT2) and like the 996 ones the best.

If you are tracking a lot, I would suggest a slotted 2 piece rotor to replace your ceramics. I have Giro's, but the Brembo's are also a great choice (cost more though).

As far as Sharkwerks goes, if I were near by, I wouldn't hesitate to use them. They have access to all the good stuff.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:16 PM
XPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to beholdXPGT2 is a splendid one to behold
As Mooty stated 997 Cup rear and Deman front. If you are really adverse to spending $$$ then these also work on the front. About same weight as Deman rotors.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...m%20Disc%20%20

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...m%20Disc%20%20

I run them on the front of the 6GT3. with no issues.

Peter

Old 11-03-2010, 01:22 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
while you are talking to Tony at TCDesigns ask him about a corner balance and alignment and while in there consider adjustable droplinks to eliminate sway bar pre-load (makes it much easier to make adjustments at the track) and adjustable rear toe links with locking plates to eliminate loss of toe adjustment caused by the stock eccentrics

Old 11-04-2010, 10:22 AM
Mcgyver has a spectacular aura aboutMcgyver has a spectacular aura aboutMcgyver has a spectacular aura about
Thanks, Guys!

Old 11-04-2010, 02:05 PM
medpilot105 will become famous soon enough
Christmas is, in fact, just around the corner. I'd say it's time Santa did some shopping. If you decide to do any Sharkwerks visits let me know. I can always use an excuse to gawk whatever may be sitting in their garage!

Old 11-06-2010, 01:26 PM
Former Vendor
Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !Fabryce@GMGRacing Is a GOD !
There are plenty of good shops in the bay area.

From pro level shops like TRG to independents.

If you are near los gatos.. Try BRRacing

What are you do decide to do, I recommend improving the driver and safety first.
Than worry about go fast parts.

We just a did a 996 GT3 track car for a client just search the forums we documented the entire build process.

Old 11-06-2010, 02:13 PM
Banned
BRracing is on a distinguished road
996TT safety solutions

We have done many of these for our Porsche clients in the Bay Area...and even had one unfortuneate situation that proves the need and value of the safety equipment.
One of our customers, who had a 996 GT3, rolled his car at Thunderhill coming out of turn 9....rolled it several times. He had the GMG roll bar / harness bar / shock brace / Sparco seats / full harnesses...and walked away without a scratch.
We also have a couple of Porsche in our storage facility that have all the safety gear installed if you want to take a look at how the installation works, and how it completely bolts into the interior without any fuss or mess. We have a 996tt that is tracked regularly, and will attach some pics of that install here, and we are getting ready to do another 996tt for another customer. We also have our well know 2010 GT3 which also has the full compliment of safety gear.
On our most recent install, the customers confidence and comfort from the harnesses and seats improved some much that his lap times dropped 2 seconds....with no other changes to the car.
Let us know if you have any questions, happy to show you the options and optimal solutions.
Can provide more pics if desired.
We have done both Porsche seats, and Sparco race seats, both able to continue to use the stock seat belt harness as well for daily driving...alll sorts of options here.

Name:  BRR GT3 roll bar inside sm.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  172.7 KB
Name:  BRR GT3 roll bar rear view sm.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  169.9 KB
Name:  GMG rsr rollbar_8.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  24.1 KB
Name:  Cage In small.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  119.9 KB

Old 11-06-2010, 02:15 PM
Banned
BRracing GT3 safety solution

We will also be at Thunderhill this coming Friday for the special Derric D tribute day and track day, with a large collection of our customers and our own GT3 if you are near or at the track that day.
Bruce
BRracing

Old 11-06-2010, 04:18 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mcgyver

Safety first is indeed good advice from many

Having more supportive seats (buckets) and harnesses will keep you planted in them and safer too. Depending on what you want a) a bolt-in bar or b) indeed a safer/welded in bar from Tony you'd need to decide on that. I actually have one of the TCDesign (Tony) built roll bars in my 996GT3 if you want to see it etc...

Next step try and check craigslist/ebay etc... for a set of 996GT3 european seats. They bolt right in without any fuss and are still somewhat comfy for driving to the track (I also have those in my 6gt3 if you want to see how you fit etc...) Suncoast might have a set of new ones for the best price (not sure).

As far as brakes go I'd suggest a two piece steel replacement rotor (slotted) rather than ditching those already awesome calipers.... Something slotted and two piece will not only be a bit lighter but have improved cooling capabilities too so you can then also use a more aggressive pad if needed.
Originally Posted by Betim@BBIAutosport
Safety first is a GOOD place to start. Sharkwerks would be a great place to get your cars safety up to snuff. They are an authorized installer of all BBI products. Here are a few pics of our Streetcup roll bar. Please let me know if you have any questions about pricing or want to see the bar in different cars or colors.

The Euro seat is great. however if you do not need the seat to be a folding one, I would consider a nice set of Recaro fixed back race seats. and an set of HANS approved harnesses. As for the brakes, We have been switching out the ceramics for the Brembo kits. And on the cup cars we actually do a 355mm AP rotor with a custom hat front and rear. The life of the Brembo and the AP are about 2.5 times greater then the factory cup rotors.

Please feel free to contact me anytime for more information.

Here is our Streetcup bar

Thanks and sound advice indeed. That is nice new bar... I like the attachment points
Originally Posted by mooty
if you want off the shelf bar, sharky can do it for sure.
but you are in the bay area, if you want a real bar, contact tcdesignfab.com, they are 15 miles from sharky and alex knows tony. just ask alex, he will give you the same response.

996gt3 is the best "deal" though not the best seat. i prefer recaro elephant ear seat. once you add seat, bracket and slider, it;'s $3000 per seat. 6gt3 seats are 2000 or so used per PAIR, includes ALL hardware. you just bolt it in. really just bolt it in. zero mod. sharky can do it so is harness. get a HANS and use HANS harness.

brakes, your front is direct swap for 996 cup rotors or deman rotors (very heavy, but for DE it's fine and will last you 3x longer than cup rotors). google deman rotor you shall find. rear is also 997 cup. there are other set up's but all cost more. shark can do all that.

brembo, ap are all bee's knees, but $$$
Correcto.. Tony builds the absolute best bars out there and I have to thank you and him for the one in my 6GT3 I was thinking maybe you have some spare 996gt3 seats?

Originally Posted by NorthVan
I have the 996 Euro seats, and have tried the CGT, and 997 Sport Seats (GT2) and like the 996 ones the best.

If you are tracking a lot, I would suggest a slotted 2 piece rotor to replace your ceramics. I have Giro's, but the Brembo's are also a great choice (cost more though).

As far as Sharkwerks goes, if I were near by, I wouldn't hesitate to use them. They have access to all the good stuff.
Thanks NorthVan and I agree as I've got all the seats you list above and I still think those 6gt3 euro seats give you the most support

Originally Posted by GT3 Chuck
while you are talking to Tony at TCDesigns ask him about a corner balance and alignment and while in there consider adjustable droplinks to eliminate sway bar pre-load (makes it much easier to make adjustments at the track) and adjustable rear toe links with locking plates to eliminate loss of toe adjustment caused by the stock eccentrics
Ah yes... but of course. A good bump/toe-steer rear set up is in order even for the 2010RS... Never changes

Originally Posted by medpilot105
Christmas is, in fact, just around the corner. I'd say it's time Santa did some shopping. If you decide to do any Sharkwerks visits let me know. I can always use an excuse to gawk whatever may be sitting in their garage!
Hehe we'll be here

Old 11-07-2010, 09:30 PM
Former Vendor
James@gmgracing will become famous soon enough
Mcgyver,

Whatever you do, go to a shop that has extensive track prep and experience with these types of cars. A car being prepped for the track is not the same as a car being prepped for the street.

Safety is the absolute first area to address, with a properly designed roll bar, 5-6 point harness and race seat.....from there you can start to address the other areas. Every time a new client walks into our shop asking us to upgrade his car for the track (our specialty), we always start with the safety equipment. From our Pro Racing support to our Club racers and track warriors, this matters most and then the performance upgrades start from there......

Old 11-08-2010, 05:41 AM
Looney is on a distinguished road
can i ask a really silly question (i think i know the answer)

why do people get rid of their CC brakes for track work? wouldnt CC's with their less unsprung weight make for a better drive?

im assuming its just the cost of replacing the CC's?

i'd prefer them for street driving LOL

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 11-08-2010 at 10:50 AM. Reason: not the proper place
Old 11-08-2010, 12:00 PM
Banned
CC brakes for track use

Many reasons...as we have swapped out several sets of CC and gone to steel on our customers track cars, as well as we did it on our own 997.2 GT3.
- not a good selection of pad options
- not a good feel on the track....and very temperature dependent
- expense (for both pads and rotors)

Even w the steel upgrades, we are seeing customers go thru rotors relatively quickly.
No question of the weight savings....but you will see virtually everyone swapping out...and many have tried to make the CCs work, and eventually, there will be a proper set for track abuse.
Bruce
BRracing

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 GT3 Track Mod Advice