GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Centerlock VS. Standard 5 bolt wheels ???

Old 11-13-2010, 07:58 PM
Sarum87 is on a distinguished road
Centerlock VS. Standard 5 bolt wheels ???

i like the look of centerlock wheels but began wondering what's the big difference between the two styles? is it weight? personal preference?
I have a 2011 gt3rs and will be upgrading the wheels.

thanks!

Old 11-13-2010, 08:08 PM
AlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud ofAlexN has much to be proud of
From what I heard the centerlocks are actually heavier than the 5 bolt wheels.
As far as I see it the only advantage is the fact they significantly reduce the risk of the wheels getting stolen.
I guess someone in marketing thought it will be a cool idea to put them on street cars.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:31 PM
axhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud of
From the Porsche website:

The new 911 GT3 runs on onepiece, titanium-colored, 19-inch GT3 wheels. Taken directly from motorsport is the new central locking device with GT3 logo. The advantages over a conventional five-hole screwed fitting include better driving dynamics and performance thanks to fewer 'rotating masses' and, of course, faster wheel changes. A huge advantage – especially when racing.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:55 PM
Va122 is on a distinguished road
faster wheel changes?

Old 11-13-2010, 10:39 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
the cup car CL is faster change than 5 lug
the street car CL is much SLOWER than 5 lugs. i bet you with my pink slip on the RS. the alum CL nut must be tightened with hand tool. my 5 lug can use impact wrench and you can be br utal with it.

Old 11-14-2010, 02:59 AM
DD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud ofDD GT3 RD has much to be proud of
CL = pain in the ***

Old 11-14-2010, 05:13 AM
Tech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond repute
The OE Centerlock wheels are actually about 200 grams lighter than the OE 5-lug version they replace. A very small amount of difference.
HOWEVER, the factory wheels are not exactly light. The fronts are about 24 lbs and the rears 29 lbs. They are high quality cast wheels to be sure, but not light.

In the aftermarket, I believe all of the available CL wheels are heavier than their 5-lug versions. The large mass of the centerlock mechanism simply makes it impossible to reduce the weight to the level of the five smaller fasteners.
This is a marketing exercise by Porsche. They have but one reason for doing it.
And I'll bet you can all guess what that is.
As to the ease of installation and removal, forget it. Gimme the 5-lugs anytime.

In fairness, the centerlocks do look very cool. Very cool indeed.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:58 AM
Rob T is on a distinguished road
Forget about any performance improvement, the centerlocks simply look far better than the 5 lug wheels. When it comes to wheels, looks matter a lot.

Old 11-14-2010, 02:19 PM
Va122 is on a distinguished road
I definitely agree it's more cosmetic then serves any actual function

Old 11-14-2010, 03:10 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Tech1_Mike
As to the ease of installation and removal, forget it. Gimme the 5-lugs anytime.
Yeah...

Old 11-19-2010, 08:22 AM
BMWDEMON is a jewel in the roughBMWDEMON is a jewel in the roughBMWDEMON is a jewel in the rough
gotta love marketing...Looks of the wheel does matter and the CL is cool but you can still have a beautiful wheel with the 5 lugs...

Old 11-19-2010, 08:36 AM
dailydriver will become famous soon enough
I am no expert on the subject, but my personal interpretation of this is as follows.

Even if a CL wheel and 5 lug wheel weigh exactly the same, the weight of the lugs themselves must still be accounted for. Secondly, a CL wheel most likely keeps more of the weight closer to the center of rotation where on a 5 lug the weight moves further from the center. My understanding of rotational mass is that keeping the weight closer to center requires less energy?

Old 11-19-2010, 09:17 AM
Tech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond reputeTech1_Mike has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dailydriver
I am no expert on the subject, but my personal interpretation of this is as follows.

Even if a CL wheel and 5 lug wheel weigh exactly the same, the weight of the lugs themselves must still be accounted for. Secondly, a CL wheel most likely keeps more of the weight closer to the center of rotation where on a 5 lug the weight moves further from the center. My understanding of rotational mass is that keeping the weight closer to center requires less energy?
Dailydriver

Of course you have to consider the weight of the lug nuts, but you also have to consider the weight of the Centerlock nut. It a wash, or worse.
Unfortunately, the very slight "moment of inertia" advantage you suggest is more than offset by the much higher overall mass of the Centerlock wheel.
Our lightest wheel, the Tech1-110 is a good example. In 19x9 for a new GT3RS, it weighs 7.9 kgs. The same 19x9 in 5 lug weighs less than 7.4 kgs.
So, there is real world 500 gram (1.1 lbs) difference, just due to the Centerlock.
If you study the formula for measuring "moment of inertia" here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moment_of_inertia
you will quickly see that increasing the mass by 500 grams will have a huge effect on the kinetic energy required to accelerate the wheel. The small change in MOI, not so much. This is because the energy required to accelerate the wheel increases at the square of the velocity. So, the faster you go, the more lightweight wheels will help you.
I simplified this to make it easy to understand for the non-math majors.
Centerlock wheels look amazing. But they really don't improve performance.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:23 AM
pfan12000 will become famous soon enoughpfan12000 will become famous soon enough
if the factory cast wheels are 24lbs front and 29lbs rear, what are some of the aftermarket forged CL wheels of the same dimensions and offsets weighing? Would be nice for people to posts actual weights of their aftermarket versions.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:28 AM
pfan12000 will become famous soon enoughpfan12000 will become famous soon enough
so the tech1 wheels in 9x19 weighs 7.9kg or about 18lbs? That means a 6 lb per wheel saving for the fronts?

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Centerlock VS. Standard 5 bolt wheels ???