GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Snow

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 06:24 PM
jakegt3 is on a distinguished road
I will go so far as to say that summer tires in snow or icy conditions can be dangerous. You might think that it could be entertaining, but not when you have to make an emergency stop and all you are doing is sliding with no control. I once got caught in snow with summer tires (not on my GT3, thankfully). I couldn't even make it up a slight grade and I eventually slid off the road. I had to be towed out.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:05 PM
Mr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to all
Much appreciated!

Originally Posted by KK Moto
I'm the biggest proponent of driving a 911 in the snow.... WITH snow tires.

Short of that, any chance of freezing precip? Don't do it. Really.

Other drivers?..... Imagine that we were breaking up. It's not you, it's me!

Rental.

All the comments and advice from all you guys is much appreciated!!
Mr. B

Old 11-23-2010, 09:55 PM
MaxAnt13 is on a distinguished road
Mr B,
I am siding with those that have said find an alternative vehicle for this trip. Two weeks ago I nearly wadded my RS into the concrete wall on a bridge 1/2 mile from my house! November, upstate NY, 45 degrees and cold Pirellis are not a good combo. I was accelerating in a straight line on dry pavement when I suddenly was using the drivers side window as the front windshield. Thank god for the PASM. Happy Thanksgiving.

Old 11-24-2010, 06:43 AM
Mr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to all
Originally Posted by MaxAnt13
Mr B,
I am siding with those that have said find an alternative vehicle for this trip. Two weeks ago I nearly wadded my RS into the concrete wall on a bridge 1/2 mile from my house! November, upstate NY, 45 degrees and cold Pirellis are not a good combo. I was accelerating in a straight line on dry pavement when I suddenly was using the drivers side window as the front windshield. Thank god for the PASM. Happy Thanksgiving.

Good advice.
I will take it.
Mr. B

Old 11-24-2010, 07:02 AM
Lennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by LPpfs997
Any summer tire will have be a disadvantage due to a) how the rubber reacts w/ cold (summers get real stiff), and b) the tread depth on your tires. Add to the hazard if you have little experience with the car in snow (new to you GT3 ?) and it gets worst if you have little experience of driving in the snow.

That said the storm will probably be more hype then real accumulation.

In early snow season I try and find a smooth parking lot w/ at least a 1/2" of snow atop to practice the push and slide (as well as spin) technique; but my ride has great snows, all wheel drive and I tend to put 8,000 miles in the bad weather (3 different vehicles). Practice will help.

Great Holiday weekend to you and enjoy the Snow !

key note: AWD

OP, get snows or dont drive that car, in fact why drive a gt3 in the snow at all? without proper tire set up its a recipe for disaster, my e46 m3 got me back from canada to ny with stock 18's and blizzack in a legit blizzard, every other car on the road (jeeps and SUV's) were in ditches because they lost it, its all about proper tire and throttle modulation.

good luck

Old 11-24-2010, 07:18 AM
Originally Posted by Lennon31987
key note: AWD
OP, get snows or dont drive that car, in fact why drive a gt3 in the snow at all? without proper tire set up its a recipe for disaster, my e46 m3 got me back from canada to ny with stock 18's and blizzack in a legit blizzard, every other car on the road (jeeps and SUV's) were in ditches because they lost it, its all about proper tire and throttle modulation.
good luck
Here's the latest Nat'l Weather Service report for my trip:
"Thanksgiving Day: A chance of snow and sleet before noon, then rain and sleet likely between noon and 1pm, then rain likely after 1pm. Cloudy, with a high near 37. Calm wind becoming south around 6 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow and sleet accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
Thursday Night: Rain. Low around 37. South wind between 6 and 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
Friday: Rain showers before 9am, then rain and snow showers between 9am and noon, then a chance of snow showers after noon. High near 39. South wind 8 to 15 mph becoming west. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible."

As to temperatures, www.weather.com says: Thursday will have a low of 33 and a high of 34 and Friday will have a low of 22 and a high of 40.
We will be driving up to PA Thursday morning and returning Friday early afternoon. The situation is what I would call borderline, but I'm pretty sure we'll leave the GT3 home.
Mr. B

Old 11-24-2010, 09:35 AM
sayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond repute
Got caught in sleet in the mountains last spring in my RS on Cups. 40 miles of sheer terror. Never again will I let that happen. RS+summer performance tires+ icy/sleety weather= death wish.

RS on dedicated snows = most fun snowplow ever.

Tire selection is everything and no joke.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:48 AM
MartinF will become famous soon enough
Here in Quebec where we have a sh$tload of snow each year, winter tires are mandatory for the winter season. Summer tire and all-weather tires are strictly forbidden from decembre 15 to march (or april?) 15 and there's a reason for that.

Snow + cold don't mix well with regulat tires, -> no traction. I have all-weather tires on my car right now and it was slippery as hell this week when we got a couple inches of snow mix with icy rain. And don't forget there are other people on the road who can lose it. If you have traction, you can get out of the way and avoid impact.

You said you also have an AWD car. Traction might be better, but braking will be the same as your porsche, meaning you can still slip and hit something/someone.

So just be really carefull and enjoy your trip in safety.

::: as a general advice for others, and i'm sure people living in "snow" country can join me, winter tires are like railroads tracks for a train compare to regular tires when temp goes under 5°C. So buy yourselfs 4 good winter tires and 4 "cheap" wheel to go with them and make the switch for the winter. That might save you a totaled car and some people health.

Last edited by MartinF; 11-24-2010 at 10:50 AM.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:55 AM
DJH
DJH is just really niceDJH is just really niceDJH is just really niceDJH is just really niceDJH is just really nice
No matter how good of a driver you are, summer tires on black ice isnt predictable.

Since your wife's car is AWD, there's no question to take that car!

Old 11-24-2010, 12:38 PM
Many thanks!

Originally Posted by DJH
No matter how good of a driver you are, summer tires on black ice isnt predictable.

Since your wife's car is AWD, there's no question to take that car!

Thanks everyone.
We'll definitely take the AWD 328xi.
Mr. B

Old 11-24-2010, 01:22 PM
wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !
I know a thing or two about snow ( check my location)

Don't be stupid... Pzeros + snow = death

Old 11-24-2010, 01:54 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Knowingly driving summer only tires in the snow is dangerous and irresponsible.

Don't do it. Period.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 11-25-2010, 05:55 PM
Ok

Originally Posted by damon@tirerack
Knowingly driving summer only tires in the snow is dangerous and irresponsible.
Don't do it. Period.
OK, so I took everyone's advice and we took the AWD 328xi and we're very glad we did. On the Interstate the roads were quite slippery and there was one bad accident.

All that great advice is MUCH appreciated!!
Mr. B

Old 11-25-2010, 07:29 PM
evolveC4 is on a distinguished road
I'm looking for snow tires (inexpensive) any suggetions?

Old 11-25-2010, 08:06 PM
MartinF will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by evolveC4
I'm looking for snow tires (inexpensive) any suggetions?
I like "generaltire GT" and "toyo" brands for winter tires.

You can do a research on their website for tires that fit your car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Snow