GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

2010 GT3 Shifting

Old 12-28-2010, 05:01 PM
Former Vendor
Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !
I might be off, However, i had a 7.2 RS at the track last week with that same problem. We found that the pressure plate was starting to fail. One of the rivets that hold the three springs had sheered. Replaced the PP and things are all good again. Could just have been a different prob all together but this sounds close.

kindest

Old 12-28-2010, 05:27 PM
audiophilitis is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Betim@BBIAutosport
I might be off, However, i had a 7.2 RS at the track last week with that same problem. We found that the pressure plate was starting to fail. One of the rivets that hold the three springs had sheered. Replaced the PP and things are all good again. Could just have been a different prob all together but this sounds close.

kindest
Wow -- that's certainly cause for concern. Unfortunately, the only way to check this is by visual inspection of the clutch/pressure plate, right?

Old 12-28-2010, 05:32 PM
il nino will become famous soon enoughil nino will become famous soon enough
I have a recently purchased 08 GT2 with only 80 miles on it and it too has a clunky feel to the shifter. I just got out of an 08 TT and the shifting is totally different. Does anyone know if the actual type of gears are different in the GT2 and GT3 from the other cars?
My car almost feels like it had different cut gears. There is not a real grinding but rather an extra click when engaging different gears and it does take extra effort to make the shift. This happens even when the trans is warm.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:27 PM
neuroguru will become famous soon enoughneuroguru will become famous soon enough
6400 miles now, a bit notchy when cold, have only felt or heard grinding once. Smooth when warm though mechanical resistance is high compared to 6gt3.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:49 PM
mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !mooty Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Betim@BBIAutosport

kindest
this is the 4th 2010RS with this prob.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:34 PM
axhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud ofaxhoaxho has much to be proud of
I have had my 997.2 GT3 since last February, never had any shifting issues or noises.

Just like how I treat all of my cars, when my GT3 is cold (not just engine termperature, but also the oil temperature of the engine & gearbox); I take it easy on shifting, and I give a little blip of throttle to rev match the shift, even when I am upshifting.

Depending on the weahther, the engine/gearbox oil temperature might take a few miles of driving (or a full warm up lap on track) to fully warm up.

Regards,

Old 12-29-2010, 05:20 AM
911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by audiophilitis
So I guess it's normal for these cars to have some degree of notchiness/grinding, particularly when the gearbox is cold. A gearbox filled with 75W-90 gear oil when cold, e.g., below freezing temps, would have very little lubricating properties.

My car was sitting at a lot in PA (temps in the low 30s) when I took delivery. Since the dealership was along a main highway, I had to get the car up to speed quickly. Definitely experienced grinding during the first several miles.

I have a .2 3 and experience notchy shifting when cold which is completely normal. I think they all do that. Even the manual details this. When I say cold I mean even a 65 degree F cool morning. As we all know you want to allow for the oil temp to rise above 160-170 F before any hard inputs (I wait until > 180 F), but you also want to wait until the other mechanicals warm up. Granted by the time the oil temp gets to 180 F the rest will likely be warm too.

Like Mooty said there is no need to shift fast. The shifts should be deliberate but not fast nor forced. When cold, you should also allow for a few extra milliseconds once depressing the clutch pedal and before executing the subseqent shift to help avoid any grinding and/or resistance. It is like a rifle bolt; very mechanical but precise, especially when warm . I do not experience any grinding. Imo, if you are you need to adhere to the above.

Last edited by 911dev; 12-29-2010 at 05:42 AM.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:38 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
sasportas has a spectacular aura aboutsasportas has a spectacular aura about
Shifting

I test drove your black GT3 before you bought it last week. I drove a 997 Gt3 for 4 years prior and put 44,000 miles on the car. I can tell you without any reservations that your black GT3 was shifting perfectly. The dealer knows how to contact me if you have any questions. Also, would be more than happy to take you to the track with our local PCA chapter. We'd love to have more local guys at the track.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:30 AM
audiophilitis is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by sasportas
I test drove your black GT3 before you bought it last week. I drove a 997 Gt3 for 4 years prior and put 44,000 miles on the car. I can tell you without any reservations that your black GT3 was shifting perfectly. The dealer knows how to contact me if you have any questions. Also, would be more than happy to take you to the track with our local PCA chapter. We'd love to have more local guys at the track.
Great -- just sent you PM. Thx.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:31 PM
wadetandres is on a distinguished road
I have 07 GT3. Have had moments on the track hitting third both up and down. Talked to tech and everything checked out. Last weekend downshifting from 4 to 3, and got first. Broke pulley extension. Analysis showed 9,800 for 6 revolutions. Going to open the motor to check extent of damage. Anyone with similar experience? Been driving porches for 30 years and know how to shift. Thanks

Old 01-05-2012, 01:51 PM
TRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of lightTRAKCAR is a glorious beacon of light
It all sounds normal.
ON LWFW RS cars seem to blow clutches and pressure plates.
I shift very slow also on track (See video's), or it will crack and grind.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:02 AM
Davidham is on a distinguished road
It will shift better if you run the RPM's up, don't try to short shift it. As as stated before, slow your shift down. It will smooth out.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:56 PM
Waterboy is on a distinguished road
My 10 gt3 loves to be shifted with patience and not forcefully. I always warm the car/tires up before driving it like it was meant to be driven. after it warms up it is easier to shift. Best balanced car on the road. Love the feel/ sound and driving experience. Only would chang two things: the wart on the dash and the center lugs, other than that, great car.

Old 01-11-2012, 12:30 AM
lopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to beholdlopro is a splendid one to behold
Mr GTGEARS please join our thread, I think he is at daytona testing

Old 01-11-2012, 12:39 PM
Former Vendor
GTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by lopro
Mr GTGEARS please join our thread, I think he is at daytona testing
Hello,
I've been back for a day but had to give priority to business inquiries made in my absence before I hopped back on the forums.

I think the direction PJS took things is the right vein of thinking on this. The only thing I would add is don't under-rev your engine during the "warm up" period of the drive. I see this all the time, with guys shifting at 5000rpm or less until they are at full temp. You've fully circulated oil and started to bring it up to temp in the engine during the first 3-5 minutes of driving. Once you've done that, your gearbox will like you better if you shift at 7000rpm or so.

When you shift at too low of an rpm, because of the change in ratios, the synchros end up having to speed up the idler gear instead of slowing it down. Getting it up to a higher speed where the synchro does less work will make it smoother when it's cold. I haven't driven enough GT3s, with all the different gearing variations between 996, 997 and RS variants to tell you the exact shift point, but if you shift at the right rpms, the synchros don't have to do pretty much any work because you've spun the gear up to faster than the free spinning shaft such that as the rpms drop while the clutch is engaged, you'll just slide right into gear.

I don't say this to brag, but I could take any one of your cars and within 15 minutes be shifting it on the upshift 100% clutchless. When you rev to the right rpms and hit the spinning speed of the gears right, the synchros don't have to do any work and the gear will engage even if the clutch was never unloaded. Now, don't try this at home, but the point is that you can, and should, learn to find the sweet spot for each gear with respect to how many rpms to rev to before you pull it from 1-2 and from 2-3. All the old 915 guys know that number is around 4500rpm on the 1-2 shift. On the modern cars it's going to be much higher. But with a little practice and feel you can find that sweet spot so that even cold, you are driving the car in such a way that there's no grinding and in fact you are minimizing the wear on your synchros at the same time, thus extending the life between rebuilds.

It's like that common complaint that making a 1-2 shift at redline crunches. The change in ratio on 1-2 is so large that redline rpms overspins 2nd gear and if one is doing 1/4 mile type pulls with it, you'll crunch if you don't give it that extra micro-second pause to let the gear slow down just a little bit on it's own intertia before you try to pull it into gear and put the synchros to work. Make sense?

As for the failure Mooty mentions? I know of two here in Colorado. One got warranty coverage, the other guy got told to **** off by the dealer and recently had his gearbox rebuilt on his own dime because the failure broke the case and took out the ring and pinion. I suspect we're going to see a few more of these in the future. But I don't think that's the case in this particular scenario, especially given sasportas' comments.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2010 GT3 Shifting