GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

finally joined the gt3 club

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 12:16 PM
shrews is on a distinguished road
finally joined the gt3 club

So after many months i finally picked up my gt3 last week. 04 carrera white. big reds, red belts and a bunch of alu-look bits. Picked it up in Raleigh, NC and drove back Wednesday thru the mtns. Then up early thurs for 2 days at mid-ohio.

I knew i would be happy with the decision to switch but i had no idea HOW much i would like the new ride. This car is absolutely the best package (for me anyway) out there. I went to the track expecting to be intimidated by the car but by the 3rd session felt very comfortable with the car and by the 2nd day was driving it close to 10/10ths for me. I find that i am more confident in this car with no driver aids than i ever was in my c4s, probably because i actually feel/hear what is going on with the car now.

I'll post some pics later but you guys have all seen a white gt3 by now... oh ya, any tips on how to get all the rubber off my front bumper? it looks like a dalmation right now.

shrews

Old 05-21-2005, 12:20 PM
Captain Tal will become famous soon enough
Sweet! Thats my next car. Like you I will be going from a C4S to a GT3. Congrats!

Old 05-21-2005, 12:30 PM
GO 6SPEED!
DEETZ is on a distinguished road
congrats! post some pics please, white GT3 is always hot!! now change the siggy

Old 05-21-2005, 12:40 PM
Turbo Racer is on a distinguished road
congrats

hows the handling? any probs on keeping the rear wheels from kicking out?

btw, love these cars in white

Old 05-21-2005, 01:03 PM
Holger B is on a distinguished road
Congrats!

Moving from my old 996 C2 to the GT3, I was also cautious on track at first. Everything happens more quickly in the GT3 and the feedback is unreal. Now that I've done a few DE's, I'm starting to push harder and it feels more natural to drive the car (I also adjusted the alignment and sway bars more to my liking).

For cleanup after track days (I just did this again yesterday), I use Stoner Tarminator to get up all the rubber marks, etc. Just spray a little on a rag and they wipe right off.

Old 05-21-2005, 01:10 PM
Holger,

Thanks for the tip on the tarminator. The car is incredibly stable but i do plan to get a good alignment done soon. I only had one "moment" and that was coming down the back straight (approx 145mph) and hard on the brakes, the rear got very light and started dancing around a bit. I reigned it in and swallowed my heart. other than that i love the ability to throttle steer your way around a corner!

shrews

Old 05-21-2005, 04:21 PM
JASCLASS will become famous soon enoughJASCLASS will become famous soon enough
Congrats, Excellent choice.

Old 05-21-2005, 07:47 PM
V8nMotiOn is on a distinguished road
congrat.... GT3 is my next car as well... !!

Old 05-22-2005, 07:20 PM
frayed will become famous soon enough
Re: finally joined the gt3 club

Originally posted by shrews
I find that i am more confident in this car with no driver aids than i ever was in my c4s, probably because i actually feel/hear what is going on with the car now.
Coming from a C2 and C4S, this is exactly what I felt. The 3 is much more a stallion than the other two, and I was cautious at first, but by then end of the first day I was trailbraking the **** out of the car and exploring things. Way more confidence inspiring on the track than the C4S in particular.

Old 05-23-2005, 01:03 AM
atan888 has much to be proud ofatan888 has much to be proud ofatan888 has much to be proud ofatan888 has much to be proud ofatan888 has much to be proud ofatan888 has much to be proud ofatan888 has much to be proud ofatan888 has much to be proud of
congrats

Old 05-26-2005, 02:40 AM
jimhuiz is on a distinguished road
shrews,

what laptimes were you running at Mid-Ohio at 10/10ths? I "upgraded" from a pretty well setup 951S to a GT3 and am curious if I'll really be any faster (951S at Mid-Ohio = 1:45s)

thanks

Old 05-26-2005, 06:02 AM
When i actually got a few clean run's i turned a couple of 1.46's and 1.47's on street rubber. to put it in perspective the best i was able to sqeeze out of my c4s was a 1.51. Also the other thing to note is this wass my 4th track event so i'm sure there is a lot of time to be shaved from my numbers.

shrews

Old 05-26-2005, 06:28 AM
Grand Pumba
Mr. RS is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by shrews
Holger,

Thanks for the tip on the tarminator. The car is incredibly stable but i do plan to get a good alignment done soon. I only had one "moment" and that was coming down the back straight (approx 145mph) and hard on the brakes, the rear got very light and started dancing around a bit. I reigned it in and swallowed my heart. other than that i love the ability to throttle steer your way around a corner!

shrews
Had the same problem with my RS, very easily sorted out with an improved geometry as under braking the weight transfer causes the rear wheels to start stearing the car.

Best addition would be a set of Pirelli Corsa (non system) tyres. Completely changes the car and, as a bonus, for some unknown reason improves the ride comfort on the road.

Enjoy

P.

Old 05-26-2005, 08:52 AM
jimhuiz is on a distinguished road
1:46 on street tires sounds great. I'm thinking lower 1:40s with r compound should be had and wondering if a 1:3X something will be obtainable. The E stock PCA guys do it in about 1:42 or so with Hoosiers.

Perhaps we'll meet up there sometime. Thanks for the info.

Old 05-26-2005, 09:42 AM
Rolo is on a distinguished road
Thats good to hear. I will be taking my car to the track for the first time in a couple weeks. I have to admit I will be a bit gun shy getting to know the car...I too came from a C4S, and was running 1:50s at Road Atlanta. I expect I will be slower at first in the 3. Hopefully like you I will adjust quickly......oh, this will be my 5th time at the track....I am newly solo.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: finally joined the gt3 club