6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   GT3/GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/gt3-gt2-12/)
-   -   New 996 GT3 Exhaust by SpeedTech (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/gt3-gt2/278436-new-996-gt3-exhaust-speedtech.html)

John@SpeedTech 06-12-2012 10:08 PM

New 996 GT3 Exhaust by SpeedTech

We have spent the past few of weeks developing and perfecting our new 996 GT3 exhaust system. We based the system on our trademark X-Flow design and it sounds fantastic!

Features include:
  • X-Flow modular design
  • Hi-Flow catalytic converters
  • Custom SpeedTech dual in-line mufflers
  • Polished dual wall tip or special lightweight track tip
  • Removal of heavy OEM mufflers
  • Dramatic weight reduction - system only weighs only 18-25 lbs. (depending on options)
  • X-Pipe w/hi-flow sport cats can be used with OEM muffler (option)
  • optional cat bypass pipes (modular)
  • optional muffler bypass pipes (modular)
  • 100% stainless steel construction
  • Extremely flexible design allows easy modular design changes on the fly without a lift
  • Incredible sound!
This system is loaded with features the discerning 996 GT3 enthusiast will appreciate. Please contact us via tel, email or PM for further information.

Here is a link to short video made during development...more to come.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Speed...73231502690481

mobilett 06-13-2012 01:45 PM

That sounds pretty good!

Mikelly 06-13-2012 02:37 PM

Hmmm... Loved the Xcellerator on my 996TT... Was actually the best system of the aftermarket units I owned...

Mike

John@SpeedTech 06-13-2012 07:10 PM

Thanks Mobilett and Mike!

Mike, good luck with the new car search! IMO, this system is another home run in the SpeedTech exhaust department. It sounds absolutely fantastic in person and has all the right options. We will be doing a more in depth video this weekend...

DBV 06-13-2012 07:19 PM

Why does that car have the taco wing instead of the MK1 GT3 wing?

John@SpeedTech 06-13-2012 09:40 PM

The car in the video is a customers Euro model GT3. I am not sure what wing it came with...

AudiOn19s 06-14-2012 06:56 AM

What is the diameter of this system?
Dyno proven results?
Pictures of the various tips available? Can it be used with stock exhaust tips?

With that wing your test mule is either a US spec 3.4l regular 996 or a MKI Euro Spec 996 GT3 MKI as you state.

Either way the MKI made different power with different delivery at a different RPM than the US spec MKII cars, why not use a US MKII car for your development of a product that would seem to be for the US market?

John@SpeedTech 06-14-2012 08:08 AM

The system uses 2 1/4" piping, slightly larger than OEM. We offer a polished slash cut tip or a lighweight simple slash cut pipe for maximum weight reduction. No, you will not be able to re-use the OEM tips with our in-line mufflers.

That said, if you choose to run our hi-flow catted X-Pipe to the OEM mufflers, in lieu of our SpeedTech in-line mufflers, then of course you will have to use the OEM tips or equivilent with the OEM or SpeedTech OEM style (side mounted) mufflers.

John@SpeedTech 06-14-2012 11:04 PM

To explain a little more in depth...There are several tip options available, such as:

* Simple slant cut 2 1/4" track tips for light weight
* Mirror polished 3" slant cut tips
* OEM tips w/ OEM mufflers or equivilent when using just the catted X-
Pipe

** Then we have the optional track "turn-down" tips to direct the sound to the side or to the ground for tracks with decibal limits

DHI 06-17-2012 06:32 AM

John,
You tease!!
More video!
"This" close to jumping in.

John@SpeedTech 06-17-2012 09:02 AM

DHI,

Stay tuned - we are filming today!

John@SpeedTech 06-17-2012 10:45 PM

OK, here is some additional video of the system, filmed today...

John@SpeedTech 06-18-2012 06:36 PM

Our customers GT3 left today for Watkins Glen with it's new exhaust system installed...

Results: 50 Lbs. weight reduction with high-flow cats and mufflers installed. And a much lower center of gravity for the exhaust system - very positive attributes for track times!

http://gallery.rennlist.com/albums/S...iler.sized.jpg

But not before testing the optional "turn down" track tips pictured below -These tips are designed for tracks with noise limits such as those in Eastern Canada, CT, CA, etc. and dramatically reduce the decibel level. They can be rotated to project at various angles, as well...

These are "add on" turn down tips and can be installed/removed in minutes, to the standard lightweight tips supplied with the system.

http://gallery.rennlist.com/albums/S...tips.sized.jpg

John@SpeedTech 06-18-2012 08:19 PM

For anyone intersted, here is a sound clip with the turn down tips installed...

homer997 06-18-2012 09:40 PM

decibel level.

Hi John,

do you or can you get a decibel level with turn downs. 92 decibel max at Mont Tremblant circuit. WOuld it pass?

Thanks

f1crazydriver 06-18-2012 10:02 PM

The turn down pipes will only reduce the high frequenzy sound the engine makes as the concrete absorbs those, and even than concrete bounces back 99% of the sound waves.

http://itsolution.lindab.com/LindabW...theory-ads.pdf

homer997 06-18-2012 10:13 PM

Thanks F1 that was a good read. The curved pipes then, would seem to be the biggest factor in sound absorption. Last sound check was at Calabogie and that was on asphalt.
It would still be useful to know decibel levels with turn downs on both concrete and asphalt

John@SpeedTech 06-18-2012 10:18 PM

Homer997,

The system was designed with the goal of passing Mt. Tremblant. We took some decibel readings without the turn down tips and measured 89-91 db at 50' / 3500-4000 RPM's.

The car was noticably/dramatically quieter with the turn down tips installed. I was very surprised at the difference. I think the car is going to pass Mt. Tremblant with the TD tips, but I'm not certain. The owner is going to compare his car to other cars that are known to pass at Mt Tremblant with a decibel meter, while at Watkins Glen tomorrow.

We all thought it was like a completely different car with the turn down tips installed - much quieter to the bystander. They made a huge difference and I think we are certainly in the running for a good outcome at Mt. Tremblant...

homer997 06-18-2012 10:38 PM

I am waiting with anticipation of this comparison. Your system appears to address well many aspects of exhaust design that is appealing, especially the modular aspects. I really hope this meets the DB limits!!

John@SpeedTech 06-18-2012 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by homer997 (Post 3571552)
I am waiting with anticipation of this comparison. Your system appears to address well many aspects of exhaust design that is appealing, especially the modular aspects. I really hope this meets the DB limits!!

We do too!

homer997 06-25-2012 11:24 AM

John,

any updates?

Vince

John@SpeedTech 06-25-2012 12:06 PM

Hi Vince,

Yes, the car was compared to a 997 GT3 that has passed the sound test at Mt. Tremblant and it was slightly louder (without the turn down tips installed). We feel that with the turn down tips it will pass, but we will not know for sure until it's there...

Mikelly 06-25-2012 06:51 PM

99%? Really? Is this an actual figure and what was it based on?

Originally Posted by f1crazydriver (Post 3571520)
The turn down pipes will only reduce the high frequenzy sound the engine makes as the concrete absorbs those, and even than concrete bounces back 99% of the sound waves.

http://itsolution.lindab.com/LindabW...theory-ads.pdf

John@SpeedTech 06-25-2012 07:08 PM

Mike, As I am sure you know, there is quite a difference in sound level with turn down tips from behind or beside the car. It's actually sounds like a different car - it's that dramatic.

Mikelly 06-29-2012 09:40 PM

John, you know I do. Just poking our friend with a stick!

Mike

Mike, As I am sure you know, there is quite a difference in sound level with turn down tips from behind or beside the car. It's actually sounds like a different car - it's that dramatic.

AZ997TT 06-30-2012 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by John@SpeedTech (Post 3568797)
To explain a little more in depth...There are several tip options available, such as:

* Simple slant cut 2 1/4" track tips for light weight
* Rolled edge, mirror polished 4" round tips for factory look
* OEM tips w/ OEM mufflers or equivilent when using just the catted X-
Pipe

** Then we have the optional track "turn-down" tips to direct the sound to the side or to the ground for tracks with decibal limits

Do you have a db reading from 50'?

AZ997TT 06-30-2012 03:48 PM

Sorry, i didnt read all the posts first

AudiOn19s 07-02-2012 02:27 PM

John,
Have you or will you be dyno testing your system? I think the majority of your audience knows the real benefit of exhaust on these cars is weight and sound, however we still need to know we aren't putting something on the car that could potentially cost power.

There were custom build mid pipes independently built and tested recently on another board and shockingly one of the designs lost power and torque vs stock. Personally I dont think it matters if your system makes no power I think people like myself need to see that it doesn't cost power as a final selling point. The sound is awesome, the weight savings great, push me over the edge with dyno testing and make me a customer!

John@SpeedTech 07-02-2012 04:31 PM

Audion19's,

The car that we designed the system with is not ours and will not be dynoed by customer request. That said, we have used the exact same "X" design system on 996TT and 997TT cars and realized substantial gains over the stock system in both cases. It is a straight thru muffler design with no restrictions, baffles,etc. and also has high flow cats, in place of the OEM cats. Based on our experience of building and testing exhausts, there is no way this system will lose power over an OEM system. Just the weight savings is like adding HP, although I am not referring to that aspect, that's just an additional freebe.

f1crazydriver 07-02-2012 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mikelly (Post 3577437)
99%? Really? Is this an actual figure and what was it based on?

If you read the scientific article you will see why ;)

Or I can break it down to you. If you need me to tell you how the math works :)

John,

Yes it sounds completely different because the tarmac absorbs certain frequency waves. Cmon guy's it is basic college science. hilarious Physics 101b. The graphs and the math tells it all.

Number54 07-02-2012 05:14 PM

I understand "optimal" exhausts for turbo and non-turbo are quite different. Specifically, turbos benefit from not having an exhaust at all - you want the least restrictions possible. Drag racers run dumps on F/I cars to ditch the exhaust path. But N/A cars are more difficult, with some back-pressure being beneficial.

Isn't this correct?

Basically I'm echoing AudiOn19s opinion that a proper before/after dyno sheet is the only way some of us can get over our fear of decreasing performance.

John@SpeedTech 07-02-2012 08:39 PM

We have customers reporting approximately a 10 Hp gain going to the same X-pipe with high flow cats on the NA 996. If you look at most of the high performance exhaust systems used on 996 GT3 cup cars or race cars that have made more power on the 996 GT3, they all use a high flow design, very similar to what we have done, many eliminating the restrictive cats all together, such as on the Porsche FIA GT3-RSR race car, which uses an open exhaust with NO cats.

Many years ago when cars did not have computers (ECU's) a car could lose power with too much flow (reduced back pressure) because it would change the air/fuel mixture and the car could not adjust to a proper mix. With new modern engines, the ECU's adapt to increased flow and send more fuel, making more power. Our opinion is that back pressure is not required here - increased air flow and increased fuel is the key to unleashing more power.

I am extremely confident of the gains this exhaust will provide, therefore, I am willing to guarantee a HP increase, on top of the huge weight savings - not to mention the great sound! If you are not satisfied with the power after installation and/or a before/after dyno, I will allow a return for a full refund of the purchase price.

nw94rs 07-03-2012 12:10 AM

Nice to see people still developing parts for the 996.

John@SpeedTech 08-01-2012 01:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Many of you have asked for a picture of our 996 GT3 exhaust. Here is one configured as if it were on the car. It also has the OEM muffler connection pipes pictured...

This is a system we recently built for a customer. It weighed in at 27 lbs. complete...the same weight as just the OEM cat pipes on the 996 GT3.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ine=1368919094

John@SpeedTech 08-01-2012 10:15 PM

Close-up of our newly designed 996 GT3 "Le Mans" style mirror polished tip.

http://gallery.rennlist.com/albums/S..._jpg.sized.jpg

http://gallery.rennlist.com/albums/S...d_crop_jpg.jpg

John@SpeedTech 08-19-2012 10:21 PM

These are made to order - we are going to be producing one of these systems in the next few weeks - anyone want to add on to the production run?

John@SpeedTech 05-18-2013 05:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are pictures of two systems just shipped this past week -

X-Pipe with Hi-Flow Cats for aftermarket mufflers
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ine=1368919336

Complete SpeedTech 996 GT3 X-Pipe Exhaust System
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ine=1368919336

John@SpeedTech 05-28-2013 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by homer997 (Post 3571501)
Hi John,

do you or can you get a decibel level with turn downs. 92 decibel max at Mont Tremblant circuit. WOuld it pass?

Thanks

Vince,

The system passed at Tremblant this past week. The driver was not bashful with the throttle and did some WOT passes right by the sound person at multiple locations throughout the day!

Also, the weather was overcast with low clouds, which makes passing even more difficult.

The same customer drove 2.5 hrs. one way to the track with his wife. He was concerned and asked his wife how the new exhaust was and she said it was fine, sounded good and did not bother her at all....they both enjoyed the sound!

That's the latest update.

John@SpeedTech 05-29-2013 07:10 AM

Also, the car did not require the turn down track tips to pass either - it was running our straight "Le Mans" style polished tips (which got their name from debuting on a customer car at the Circuit de la Sarthe, Le Mans, France)

Here is a video from the front straight at Mont Tremblant:

John@SpeedTech 07-24-2013 10:10 AM

Another good video of this system - identical to the one that passed Mt. Tremblant