GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

'07 GT3 - What is Best Cold Tire Pressure for Track?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 10:30 PM
bruce88 is on a distinguished road
'07 GT3 - What is Best Cold Tire Pressure for Track?

Hey Guys,

I run stock 19" wheels with Pilot Sport Cups on my '07 GT3 and have been searching for the best cold tire pressure for track use (primarily Willow Springs - Big Willow & Streets). Other Porsche owners have suggested different cold pressures ranging from mid 20's to upper 30's psi. I have also been told that 32 psi HOT on all 4 corners is best. Any suggestions?

Appreciate your input!

Old 06-25-2013, 10:43 PM
Sauce is on a distinguished road
I am speaking in terms of a C5 Z06 on basic street PS2's, but 39 psi HOT was ideal for those. Don't know how helpful that is but if I had to shoot off a guess that'd be it.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:28 AM
TurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really niceTurboDogue is just really nice
Depends on track. For example I saw a guy with pressure too low at Texas world speedway (which has a banked oval section to the road course) experience over heating and a blowout and crash due to using too low of pressure. He used the approach that pressure from a diff track would work everywhere. That's never the case. Have to consider weather temp, surface, camber and setup. I would talk with someone at the track with experience but start a little high and then work your way down if you can't get heat into the tires.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:02 AM
Mr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to allMr. B is a name known to all
Originally Posted by bruce88
Hey Guys,
I run stock 19" wheels with Pilot Sport Cups on my '07 GT3 and have been searching for the best cold tire pressure for track use (primarily Willow Springs - Big Willow & Streets). Other Porsche owners have suggested different cold pressures ranging from mid 20's to upper 30's psi. I have also been told that 32 psi HOT on all 4 corners is best. Any suggestions?
Appreciate your input!
My car came with the Pirelli P-Zero Corsa's and I found that running with the Porsche recommended cold air pressures worked fine for the track. When those tires wore out, I replaced them with the Michelin Pilot Super Sports and they seem to run best also at the Porsche recommended cold air pressures.
Mr. B

Old 06-26-2013, 02:06 PM
jakegt3 is on a distinguished road
To figure out the cold tire pressures, I think you need to determine your targeted hot pressures first and then work backwards. The "best" hot pressures depend on the particular tires, your suspension setup, etc. With a little experience you will learn how much your pressures come up during a track session. Then adjust your cold pressures before you first go out on the track so you hit your hot pressures on the track.

The amount of pressure change from cold to hot also depends on ambient conditions. On a hot, dry day you may see as much as 10 psi change. On a cool rainy day it might be only 3 or 4 psi. On your first run of the morning, you will start out with the lowest cold pressures of the day when air temperatures are at their coolest and you haven't got any heat yet into the tires.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:21 PM
bruce88 is on a distinguished road
Thanks Guys. Appreciate the feedback!

Old 06-28-2013, 12:59 PM
SuperPenguin is on a distinguished road
Are the GT3 Mfr. suggested temps the same as the C2S? Mine are like 37 and 44 which are WAY above what most people recommend for the track

Last edited by SuperPenguin; 06-28-2013 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:31 PM
seapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of light
Different. For same tire MPSS. I have 29/33 cold for gt3
33/36 for c4S aim for hot 36 R gt3, 38hot R c4S
Fronts a few psi lower(3)

Old 06-28-2013, 01:37 PM
SuperPenguin is on a distinguished road
Why is that? I'm guessing a combination of (a) different car weight/expected load and (b) likely use (ie GT3 more likely to be mostly track driven) ?

Old 06-28-2013, 01:55 PM
spyerx is a jewel in the roughspyerx is a jewel in the roughspyerx is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by SuperPenguin
Are the GT3 Mfr. suggested temps the same as the C2S? Mine are like 37 and 44 which are WAY above what most people recommend for the track
Totally different. My .1RS is 29/33, my .2 Carrera was 37/44. The cars, outside of the shape of the car, could not be more different in suspension, brakes, calibration, tuning...

Old 06-28-2013, 02:20 PM
seapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of light
Btw I did add + 5 psi to my tires this past Tuesday at the Ridge track due to rain. Adjusted down after session after rears went to 41 down to 37 hot.

Old 08-02-2013, 04:21 PM
notso5 is on a distinguished road
I run Sport Cups. For track days I run 34f/36r hot. I generally start 4 pounds front and 5 pounds rears less then adjust 4 laps in. Depending on the quality of the air you're using IE dryness, its usually spot on.
If the pressure goes over 40 you'll notice braking is compromised.
Be prepared though that your tpms alert will go off once you've pitted and allow your tires to cool

Old 08-03-2013, 07:24 AM
512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of
Start with 28 psi all around and keep it at 37 psi max when hot (the hot psi is key). These tires seem to lose traction above 37 psi. Also, check the tire temperatures as they should be between 180 and 225 F. That's their temperature sweet spot.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:15 PM
LarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to allLarryP is a name known to all
My rs has cups on it from the factory, Porsche wants 29 and 33 cold , before each run just check and bring them down to that temp before going out again. It works for me . The car stuck great

Old 08-03-2013, 06:15 PM
ChrisEVO has a spectacular aura aboutChrisEVO has a spectacular aura about
32/35 hot. They tend to fall off in grip after that. Impossible to determine perfect cold temps due to a lot of factors from alignment to driving style to how hard you're driving. Best is to have a buddy with gauge take your pressures after 5 or so hot laps. Good cold target would be about 5psi below hot target to start.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: '07 GT3 - What is Best Cold Tire Pressure for Track?