GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Sell my M3 and Cayman for a 997.1 GT3?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 11:29 PM
stevenstone is on a distinguished road
Sell my M3 and Cayman for a 997.1 GT3?

Hey guys,

I am new to the forum and need some advice.

I currently have a 2010 e90 M3 and 2007 Cayman S. I daily drive the M3 and feel it’s best overall performance sedan made. I’ve owned the Cayman almost 4 years and use it as my special weekend car that I take out once a week and a couple DE’s a year. Even though it’s significantly slower than the M3, I just feel more connected to it and feels like a true sports car.

I have always wanted a 997.1 GT3, even before I bought the Cayman. I have never driven one, but imagine it’s like my Cayman, but a lot more hardcore and faster. Ideally, I am searching for a more hardcore and visceral driving experience over my Cayman for weekend runs. More speed is not important.

However, in order for me to justify the $45k+ difference to upgrade to the GT3, I would need to sell my M3 and replace it with something more modest like a Camry.

Is the GT3 that much better than the Cayman S as an occasional weekend fun car to make up for the misery of daily driving a Camry instead of my V8 M3?

Thanks
SS

Last edited by stevenstone; 10-12-2013 at 11:33 PM.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:08 AM
911driver has a spectacular aura about911driver has a spectacular aura about911driver has a spectacular aura about
I think GT3 is a totally different animal and it is worth the price difference but not sure if it is enough justification for daily driving a Camry (nothing against Camry but not a sports car that you would enjoy everyday). How about getting a E46 M3 as a daily driver since the prices for those are significantly lower compared to few years ago.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:46 AM
seapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of light
My advice is go drive a GT 3 and see if you are hooked due to the visceral feeling you get driving it. Learning to heel toe the non computer assisted way is rewarding as you strive to keep the car balanced. And the steering........

Last edited by seapar; 10-13-2013 at 07:48 AM.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:30 AM
jbigelow_1 is just really nicejbigelow_1 is just really nicejbigelow_1 is just really nicejbigelow_1 is just really nicejbigelow_1 is just really nice
If you love how your cayman drives, your gonna love the GT3 more.......

I say get the GT3 (get the GT3RS if u can) and drive a modest Camry....... Who cares if u drive a Camry. I drive a 2000 civic to work and could care less what I drive knowing I have the best all around sports car ready to be taken out!!!!!

Old 10-13-2013, 10:36 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
The trade off doesn't sound appealing at all. E46 m3 would be a much better daily.

Gt3 997.1 does not have Psm, which I consider a must have on 911s. On the road, there are so many variables and the unbalanced nature of a 911 will eventually get you if you push the car hard as you should. For this reason, I would get a 997.2 gt3. A 2009 Carrera s has tons of power and civility. If you don't need proper back seats, why not get it as your only car?

Old 10-13-2013, 05:21 PM
AKPS4 is on a distinguished road
I recently purchased an S4 and wish i had kept my old beater and saved for a couple more years and got a GT3 as a weekend car. These days you just cant enjoy the daily driver as much with traffic, traffic laws, crappy roads, etc. Having an amazing weekend car is the way to go than to have a daily driver that just gets beat up by the road and by other people who can drive and park for S*%t...

just my two cents. I'd get the GT3 in a second.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:23 PM
fang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of lightfang911 is a glorious beacon of light
I currently own a 2007 GT3 and 2011 E90 M3 w/DCT and previously owned a 2005 Boxster S. Although the GT3 is a more visceral, kick in the butt experience than the Cayman S, the latter is still a phenomenal weekend canyon carver / DE vehicle- and the gap is much smaller than the gaping chasm between a Camry and E90 M3, which I agree is the best daily driver sedan on the market. Having recently traded in a 2004 Lexus GS300 on the M3, I could not imagine going back to a Camry-like daily driver and would sell the GT3 for my old Boxster S if necessary-

Old 10-13-2013, 09:35 PM
stevenstone is on a distinguished road
Hey fellas,

Sounds like I need to find a GT3 and experience it for myself. I don't drive my CS too aggressively on the street, say maybe 8/10 on the back roads. I don't want a GT3 to simply go faster on my favorite backroad, but want a more challenging experience that makes me work harder and dig deeper.

In regards to the Camry, that probably was an exaggeration. I probably would opt for a e46 sedan instead.

I appreciate all the advice!

Old 11-01-2013, 08:00 PM
Scottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by GTDeuce
GO drive it. IMO, keep the M3 and go buy a 996 GT3, thank me later.
997 GT3 is a better looking car, better interior by a million, but for a weekend car, I would choose the 996 GT3 as it's more visceral and will allow you to keep a practical DD.

Can't argue with this. E46 m3 is my daily, and just picked up a 996 gt3. Perfect combo. Also have a 996 tt for the days I want a little extra torque! Btw, e46 m3's are not much slower than the newer version!

Old 11-01-2013, 09:06 PM
RaceCarDriver is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by stevenstone
Hey guys,

I am new to the forum and need some advice.

I currently have a 2010 e90 M3 and 2007 Cayman S. I daily drive the M3 and feel it’s best overall performance sedan made. I’ve owned the Cayman almost 4 years and use it as my special weekend car that I take out once a week and a couple DE’s a year. Even though it’s significantly slower than the M3, I just feel more connected to it and feels like a true sports car.

I have always wanted a 997.1 GT3, even before I bought the Cayman. I have never driven one, but imagine it’s like my Cayman, but a lot more hardcore and faster. Ideally, I am searching for a more hardcore and visceral driving experience over my Cayman for weekend runs. More speed is not important.

However, in order for me to justify the $45k+ difference to upgrade to the GT3, I would need to sell my M3 and replace it with something more modest like a Camry.

Is the GT3 that much better than the Cayman S as an occasional weekend fun car to make up for the misery of daily driving a Camry instead of my V8 M3?

Thanks
SS
I had a 2008 M3 (I was the original owner) and an 2008 Cayman S. I kept the Cayman S and sold the M3 and bought a 2007 Lotus Exige S.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:38 AM
charles06 is on a distinguished road
I sold my 2006 Cayman S to a friend and bought a 2011 GT3. BIG difference, but mostly in learning to drive a rear-engined car. The Cayman allows you to get away with more, where the GT3 requires more attention. Very rewarding, though.

Something to consider: like yourself, I was comfortable driving my Cayman at, what felt like, 7-8/10ths on the street. If I ever get to even 6/10ths on the street with the GT3, I'll be surprised. Not because I'm not capable, but more-so because the GT3 is just SO capable, and getting to 8/10ths and higher should be left for the track. I LOVE my GT3, but sometimes knowing that I have to take it to the track to really "ring it out" leaves me wondering if a simpler car is better for the streets, where you can use more of its performance. Truthfully, if the new Cayman wasn't so soft, I would've considered it. I haven't regretted buying the GT3, but getting older and learning responsibility puts a lot into perspective.

Last edited by charles06; 11-13-2013 at 09:53 AM.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:47 AM
mousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nice
Ideally, I am searching for a more hardcore and visceral driving experience over my Cayman for weekend runs. More speed is not important.
If more speed is not important, stick with the Cayman. It is better balanced. Drive it harder.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:53 AM
mousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nicemousecatcher is just really nice
Sounds like I need to find a GT3 and experience it for myself. I don't drive my CS too aggressively on the street, say maybe 8/10 on the back roads. I don't want a GT3 to simply go faster on my favorite backroad, but want a more challenging experience that makes me work harder and dig deeper.
Ah. You're not making a rational argument, but an emotional one. Rationally, if you only drive 8/10 but want to work harder and dig deeper ... then do that. The cayman is boring at 8/10, and if you don't care about speed so will the gt3 be.

At 8/10 you might as well drive a 370z. Seriously.

That said, I'd personally never drive even a Cayman level car (much less GT3) above 8/10 on the road. Too much risk.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:19 AM
Fkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant future
I would actually do the GT3 and a VW Golf TDI as my daily.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:29 PM
BMWDEMON is a jewel in the roughBMWDEMON is a jewel in the roughBMWDEMON is a jewel in the rough
I had a 996TT (I know, not a GT3) and I loved driving that car daily but then life changed so now I have a E46 M3 modified for daily driving and will pick up an E90 M3 for family nice days but if I was in a different boat it would be e46 M3 for DD and 997 GT3 for my weekend no questions asked.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sell my M3 and Cayman for a 997.1 GT3?