GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Give Me Your Reviews of the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 as a Street and Rain Tire

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 07:51 PM
sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !
Exclamation Give Me Your Reviews of the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 as a Street and Rain Tire

I own a 991 TTS and intend to take my car on Goldrush Rally 7 in June. It is a cross country rally with a lot of driving as well as some track days.

I am thinking that the MPSC2 might be a good tire for the rally but am unsure about how well it performs in street driving, especially rain. I want killer track performance but just in case I get caught driving hundreds of miles in the rain I do not want a car that is like driving on ice skates and I know that the original Pilot Sport Cup was terrible in the rain.

So please GT3 owners give me your reviews of the street and rain traction capabilities of the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 that is optimized for the GT3. The tire sizes for the 991 TTS are identical to yours.

Let's hear your experiences. If the MPSC2 is not right for my needs I will use the Pilot Super Sports on Goldrush but I am aware that that tire is not nearly as good as the MPSC2 on the track.

Old 01-04-2015, 05:32 AM
512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of
It depends on what your goal is. If you are going for the win, hence being really competitive, I would go with the Pilot Super Sport Cup 2s. You may lose some time if you get caught in the rain (but I have driven those in the rain and they are not terrible terrible, but you do have to be careful), but on the track they are much faster than the Pilot Super Sports.

I have the Pilot Super Sports on my turbo and my Vette and they are awesome on the street and in the rain (heads and shoulders above the previous version). I have tracked them both and the track performance is also phenomenally good - you need to watch the pressure though to be 37 psi when hot. Any more pressure than that and they lose grip. So if you do track events, start with around 28 psi and see where it goes, if doing autocross, then start with 35-36 psi as you want that mechanical grip. The 991 GT3 may be a bit different but generally the pressures above work.

Also, since the Pilot Super Sports are dual compound, harder on the inside and softer on the outside, if you run a more negative camber than stock, you can really make the tires last. I have over 6 full track days and 9K miles on my turbo and the tires look practically brand new.

The 991 GT3 I drove was on the track running Pilot Super Sports and I would say the same impressions as above - I had a little more understeer than I liked but that could have been the pressures or lack of familiarity with the car as I only did a one hour session.

Good luck on the rally, it looks like fun and looking at the route, the Cup 2s may also work, again depending on what you ultimate goal is and how they do the scoring.

Old 01-04-2015, 07:15 AM
sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !sdg1871 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 512bb
It depends on what your goal is. If you are going for the win, hence being really competitive, I would go with the Pilot Super Sport Cup 2s. You may lose some time if you get caught in the rain (but I have driven those in the rain and they are not terrible terrible, but you do have to be careful), but on the track they are much faster than the Pilot Super Sports.

I have the Pilot Super Sports on my turbo and my Vette and they are awesome on the street and in the rain (heads and shoulders above the previous version). I have tracked them both and the track performance is also phenomenally good - you need to watch the pressure though to be 37 psi when hot. Any more pressure than that and they lose grip. So if you do track events, start with around 28 psi and see where it goes, if doing autocross, then start with 35-36 psi as you want that mechanical grip. The 991 GT3 may be a bit different but generally the pressures above work.

Also, since the Pilot Super Sports are dual compound, harder on the inside and softer on the outside, if you run a more negative camber than stock, you can really make the tires last. I have over 6 full track days and 9K miles on my turbo and the tires look practically brand new.

The 991 GT3 I drove was on the track running Pilot Super Sports and I would say the same impressions as above - I had a little more understeer than I liked but that could have been the pressures or lack of familiarity with the car as I only did a one hour session.

Good luck on the rally, it looks like fun and looking at the route, the Cup 2s may also work, again depending on what you ultimate goal is and how they do the scoring.

Thanks for that very comprehensive review. Goldrush is not a competition or a race. It is about having fun. Just don't want tires that chunk up at the track and are useless for the rest of the rally. But I also don't want tires that are prone to hydroplaning in the rain given the several thousand highway miles.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:07 AM
512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of512bb has much to be proud of
I would definitely go with the Pilot Super Sports. Hope you take pictures and post about it. Looks like some awful lot of fun.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by 512bb
I would definitely go with the Pilot Super Sports. Hope you take pictures and post about it. Looks like some awful lot of fun.
Thanks. Just about
Everyone I know who has gone on it said it was one of the best weeks of their life. Now it is 9 days

Will post pics when it happens

Old 01-04-2015, 05:54 PM
monojohn is just really nicemonojohn is just really nicemonojohn is just really nicemonojohn is just really nice
I agree. The Super Sports are the tire for this event. They are great on the street and good on a wet track. They are also much better on a dry track than the PS2. Have a blast!

Old 01-04-2015, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by monojohn
I agree. The Super Sports are the tire for this event. They are great on the street and good on a wet track. They are also much better on a dry track than the PS2. Have a blast!
Thanks for the advice.

I sure do hope some of the folks from this board go to GR7. It would be great to see more Porsches there. Would love to make it the year of the Porsche!

If interested the website is:

http://www.goldrushrally.com

Old 01-05-2015, 08:14 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
I can tell you from personal experience....the Pilot Sport Cup 2 is complete white-knuckly TORTURE in the rain. Do NOT do it. I got caught in the rain in our GT3 a while back and literally was scared to death on those tires at highway speeds.

Stick with the Super Sports....even for every day driving once the event is over.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:49 AM
Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !Vic55 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
I can tell you from personal experience....the Pilot Sport Cup 2 is complete white-knuckly TORTURE in the rain. Do NOT do it. I got caught in the rain in our GT3 a while back and literally was scared to death on those tires at highway speeds.

Stick with the Super Sports....even for every day driving once the event is over.

Tom, my GT3 has the Dunlap Sport Maxxxxxxx's whats your knowledge about these in the wet? They are rather grippy in the dry and warm up fast but they also wear quickly.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:11 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Vic55
Tom, my GT3 has the Dunlap Sport Maxxxxxxx's whats your knowledge about these in the wet? They are rather grippy in the dry and warm up fast but they also wear quickly.
I haven't had any personal experience with those. Our car came with the Michelins but I know that some GT3's are shipping with the Dunlops.

Judging by the look of them, I'd say they're probably not great in the rain either so I'd be cautious if you try them in the wet for sure.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:21 PM

Thanks Tom. Coming from someone with your deep knowledge of and experience with these cars that means a lot.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:49 PM
T911_GT3RS will become famous soon enough

I am having flashbacks reading your reply! had a similar experience with my GT3RS when I was caught in the rain in the mountains. I would never knowingly take it out in the rain and especially on crap California roads that are not designed for rain and become oily when wet. White-Knuckle torture is a good description of how you feel. It was the first and only time for me. Ok.. Flash back over!