GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Is now a smart time to buy a 2014 gt3?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 02:23 PM
niqui is on a distinguished road
Is now a smart time to buy a 2014 gt3?

Hi guys,

I am heavily considering picking up a 2014 GT3 with 7000miles and will have to trade my 911s in for it. I am taking a pretty big hit on my 2013 911s (45k less than sticker), despite only having 4k miles, and getting the GT3 around its original sticker price.

Since I am 95% satisfied with the 911s, and do love GT3s, I am confused whether I should bite the bullet now and take the GT3 at around sticker and get rid of the 911s before it continues to depreciate (it seems like I have already swallowed the worst), or wait until next XMAS and get a better deal? I know a lot is speculation but I feel like you gurus know more than I do and what factors to consider. I can afford it now, but it is a stretch and I am in no rush - I do love the GT3, but I am equally concerned about making a smart purchase that doesn't bite me in the *** in three years on trade-in (everybody says you don't lose money on GT3s, but I was told I wouldn't lose much on my 911s and know look at me - and I am paying around sticker for a used 3 year old car).

Thanks for any thoughts and guidance.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:06 PM
slimkev has much to be proud ofslimkev has much to be proud ofslimkev has much to be proud ofslimkev has much to be proud ofslimkev has much to be proud ofslimkev has much to be proud ofslimkev has much to be proud ofslimkev has much to be proud ofslimkev has much to be proud ofslimkev has much to be proud of
The prices and demand were higher a couple of months ago. Now there are many gt3's on the market.

But either way the gt3's wont depreciate that much, but they will go below sticker.

In my opinion

Old 12-17-2015, 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by slimkev
The prices and demand were higher a couple of months ago. Now there are many gt3's on the market.

But either way the gt3's wont depreciate that much, but they will go below sticker.

In my opinion
Thanks for the reply. I am having the same thoughts. Seems like there is no point paying sticker or so for a car with mileage at this time if I am in no rush and missing some options that I desired. I have put myself down on the gen2 list with this in mind- though, it still seems like the jury is out on whether gen2 will ever come. I assume deals will only improve going forward and I am satisfied with my present car. Thanks for all of the help.

Old 12-18-2015, 05:40 PM
SpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant futureSpeeddemonC2 has a brilliant future
Discussion on 991 GT3 pricing and scoop on next GT3 on Rennlist...

http://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-a...ning-lady.html

Old 12-18-2015, 07:18 PM
PSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nice
OP...I would not make the move. Keep your lower mileage 991s that you purchased exactly how you wanted. I might consider a move at MSRP on a very low mileage sample, but not one with more than your current ride. IMO, prices will continue to go lower. Anyhow, looks like you have the aero and manual option...again sounds like you already have a great machine.

Btw, if you end up getting a burning desire to purchase one, think about a 2015 that is nearly the same price that did not have the engine swapped.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:50 PM
lowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud of
I agree with this point if you can get a 2015 for sticker. I am not sure I would get one with an ngine swapped. I just traded my 2015 GT3 in at the dealer for sticker after driving for 10 months. THey apparently resold the car for 20K over sticker. Its a great car and no comaprison to a stock 991. Although, I sold the car I am a real fan. GT3's are lower production and hold their value since they are constantly being totaled on the track resulting in them being more scarce over time.
Originally Posted by PSTT07

Btw, if you end up getting a burning desire to purchase one, think about a 2015 that is nearly the same price that did not have the engine swapped.

Old 12-19-2015, 09:31 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by niqui
Thanks for the reply. I am having the same thoughts. Seems like there is no point paying sticker or so for a car with mileage at this time if I am in no rush and missing some options that I desired. I have put myself down on the gen2 list with this in mind- though, it still seems like the jury is out on whether gen2 will ever come. I assume deals will only improve going forward and I am satisfied with my present car. Thanks for all of the help.
Only recently just dipping a (little) toe in the GT3 market and a quick search of used/new GT3s on Autotrader, years 2013 to 2016, any distance from my location, turned up 80 for sale.

With that number for sale it would be my impression no way would one have to pay sticker for a GT3, at least not at this time of the year.

Old 12-19-2015, 04:10 PM
disden will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Macster
Only recently just dipping a (little) toe in the GT3 market and a quick search of used/new GT3s on Autotrader, years 2013 to 2016, any distance from my location, turned up 80 for sale. With that number for sale it would be my impression no way would one have to pay sticker for a GT3, at least not at this time of the year.
On Cars.com only 57 total for sale 2014-2016. That's not exactly a large number. Also, I talked to my dealer about obtaining a used one for me to CPO. They highly recommended I avoid a 2014 with the engine swap bc they are listed as a salvaged title, and upon trade in they wouldn't be able to give me as much. Just an FYI. Good luck with your search, it's a phenomenal car

Old 12-19-2015, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by disden
On Cars.com only 57 total for sale 2014-2016. That's not exactly a large number. Also, I talked to my dealer about obtaining a used one for me to CPO. They highly recommended I avoid a 2014 with the engine swap bc they are listed as a salvaged title, and upon trade in they wouldn't be able to give me as much. Just an FYI. Good luck with your search, it's a phenomenal car
Thank you all for the help.

So far I am leaning towards just keeping my current car and putting a deposit on a 991.2 GT3 this week. I will also keep my eyes open for a nice 2015 at a sticker or below price over the new year.

I spoke with the dealer about the 2014 that I am currently looking at. Long story short, it seems like the dealer is willing to bargain on it a bit. Supposedly sticker is around 170 and he has offered 5k off that so far. I have not pushed more, since i am still confused if it is a wise purchase at this time, given the year, milage, trade-in value of my 911, and just common sense. Would 8k under sticker with CPO change your guys' view on this buy - 2014 with 7k miles or so?

Regarding the engine swap issue, i understood that if i took a late 2013 production car, i would have nothing to worry about and no resale implications, since the "engine swap" occurred before the car ever left the Porsche factory - am i wrong? i understand that the stigma may have permeated the whole year though... In that vein, at 5-8k under sticker price i feel like a 3 year old car is not a hot deal with 7k miles...

Lastly, i feel a bit apprehensive about the resale of the 991 gt3 v prior generations...so the dealer's argument of me buying this 2014 now and trading it when the next gt3 comes and taking virtually no hit on trade in v keeping my current 911 and watching it depreciation...i know this is all highly speculative but I feel like the PDK gearbox will surely greatly advance over the years and make the previous PDK ben GT3 less valuable, hurting it more than had the car been a manual. This is just me thinking aloud - yes, they will always be desirable and very limited, but i think these gearboxes will really be the main source of improvement with these cars over the years (already has a great power plant, but then again ppl will say "how much better can the gt3s pdk get?"...)

anyways, judging by the rambling, i am clearly going back and forth haha, but leaning to NO at this time...

thanks again - always happy to hear other thoughts or comments on the above

Old 12-19-2015, 07:56 PM
In my opinion you shouldn't buy a car like this and be concerned too much about what it will be worth in a few years. If that's a concern, then definitely get a 2015 or 2016 and have it CPOd, avoid the whole engine swap issue. All are selling at or above msrp, so just get one that's spec'd how you like and enjoy! At end of day you should be happy with the color, options, ect ect or you will be annoyed and filled with second guesses.

I've had about every derivation of 991. I recently dumped my 991 Turbo for a GT3; CPOd a 2015 that had under a 1000 miles; despite the hit I took financially I took on the Turbo I couldn't be happier. The GT3 is a special machine...both driving and simply looking at it is just an awe inspiring experience. I am constantly bombarded by people who want to look and talk about this car; that never happened in my turbo. Once again, good luck.

Attached Images  

Last edited by disden; 12-19-2015 at 07:59 PM.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:08 PM
thxbuff2001 is on a distinguished road
I will dump the 991S. Whenever I have a car that does not fit the tight schemes of my life, it has to go. As long as the tradein value is realistic market value and the new car is an upgrade, you are making an upgrade, no matter how much you loose.

Old 12-20-2015, 12:47 PM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
Your dealer is full of crap. There were only 20-30, 2014 models that had a title issue as they were "buy backs", so they have a lemon title. All other 2014 cars have clear titles. A salvage title is only given to cars that are "total losses" as deemed by an insurance company, then re built for sale.

Old 12-25-2015, 11:37 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Disden: That's a fantastic looking car and in that color. I do not recall seeing that color before. What color is it?

Old 12-25-2015, 12:09 PM
I'm getting mixed signals on this GT3 thing...

I spotted a nice looking used 2014 example in (Mexico?) blue with under 5K miles -- I didn't save any info on the car unfortunately -- that was listed for over $200K. My research indicated the car's MSRP was in the $131K range. I could see no reason for the markup. Also, while the car was low miles it had some body/paint issues. Nothing serious at all -- I would have not let the knowledge of these "issues" stop give me one second's pause in buying the car -- but that is one reason why the original owner traded the car in after just a short time with it.

Since I was not that serious in shopping a GT3 -- I am not quite in a position to buy one just now money frees up early next year -- I didn't pay much attention but the other day I noticed the car absent and stopped in and talked to someone about the car. From a person who I trust to give me the straight story told me it sold and for what the dealer was asking for it. Man oh man. Some guy "down in Texas" bought it is what I was told.

Amazing.

Just today at www.autotrader.com there are 63 2014 to 2016 GT3's listed for sale any distance from me. That seems like a lot considering the limited production numbers of the GT3 model.

Then not too many days ago talking to someone at a dealer and he advised me the GT3 wasn't what I wanted. He said -- he knows me and my driving likes/dislikes -- the GT3 would be too harsh on the road, even harsher than already the harsh riding 996 Turbo I own. While the performance, lack of turbos, AWD, and a hydraulic spoiler tempt me to the GT3, a harsher riding car kind of puts me off the GT3. Granted I have not driven one yet.

This guy said a better choice would be the 991 GTS. It has 430hp vs. my 996 Turbo's 420hp and costs a heck of a lot less than even my Turbo did new and certainly a lot less than a GT3. Plus there are no turbos, no AWD (although the newer AWD system I think is head/shoulders above the older style AWD system) and no hydraulic spoiler.

So, I'm kind of thinking of a GTS perhaps. We'll see.

Old 12-25-2015, 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by Macster
Disden: That's a fantastic looking car and in that color. I do not recall seeing that color before. What color is it?
Arena Red Metallic. I wanted a different color, waited until something interesting came along. Over on Rennlist there's some interesting info available. Porsche made 30 cars that were paint to sample colors: 10 green, 10 grey and 10 arena red. So it's an interesting one. Looks better in person then on pics. Thanks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is now a smart time to buy a 2014 gt3?