GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

Is this a good deal for 2016 GT3 RS?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 10:26 AM
911noobie is on a distinguished road
Is this a good deal for 2016 GT3 RS?

Hello, I was originally in the market for a 2018 GT3 but with the markups bringing the car close to 200k, I began shopping for 2016 GT3 RS and so far I found the below 2 cars.

I would like to hear people's opinions on the below price, if I should buy the RS over the GT3, and if they think the price of the RS will drop even more once the 2019 RS hits the market.

1. 2016 GT3 RS- 800 miles, front axel lift, extended tank range, bucket seats, carbon fiber interior- 219K

2. 2016 GT3 RS- 5800 miles- 199k

Old 07-23-2018, 10:27 AM
white comet is an unknown quantity at this point
RS - good pricing....need to determine what you are using the car for......weekend drives, trash, combo with intensive track or only a few times a year.............RS = track; regular GT3 is more versatile.......the touring GT3 is for Porsche to make more money....

Old 07-23-2018, 08:17 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
A 500 mile RS collector car sold at auction for 175k. That is my benchmark on these cars. There are plenty around and they don't seem to move too quickly. I think numbers over 200k are wishful thinking. Not sure I would buy one, the market is really soft for them. Sellers may not sell them because they have so much money they don't really care if they sell or not. The 2018 GT3 market is hot, but there are a lot of cars on the market. Another questionable market that may be a lot softer than it appears.

Old 07-28-2018, 05:27 AM
sniry12345 is a jewel in the roughsniry12345 is a jewel in the roughsniry12345 is a jewel in the rough
I never understood the 991.1 GT3RS. From the moment it came out and reviews showed the car hardly keeping up with 991.1 turbo S ("a soft daily driver") on stock tires, it was clear this car does not deliver the performance expected. In addition, it is not as rare as expected (they end up making about 5000 of them), market react- one year ago you couldn't fine one with asking price below 250-290. For the pros, this car is very special and exotic, materials wise and does have the 4.0 engine, but it's simply does not meet exceptions, for my humble opinion. Practically, i think the 175K mark for the best of the best (Like new 500 miles car) mention above is correct. If you should prefer 991.1 RS or 991.2 GT3, only you should know. Performance wise- 991.2 GT3 takes it.

Old 07-29-2018, 09:51 AM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Of course keep in mind that the rs is a single purpose car. Most don't drive before they buy, I assume. I've driven one twice. The car is really hard and really loud, it makes no bones about being a race car for the street. People get them to flip them and few people have the real wallet to own one as track car and risk wrecking it. Regardless of the cache, the car has a limited market.

Old 07-29-2018, 11:08 PM
sniry12345 is a jewel in the roughsniry12345 is a jewel in the roughsniry12345 is a jewel in the rough
What's is the different risk wrecking it than wrecking a turbo S or a regular Carrera? it is not a 250 GTO..

Old 07-30-2018, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by sniry12345
What's is the different risk wrecking it than wrecking a turbo S or a regular Carrera? it is not a 250 GTO..
Uh, the difference between wrecking a GT3 RS for $200,000 and a regular Carrera for $100,000, I'd say that's about $100,000. If your wallet is bottomless, might as well get a Cup car or Ferrari challenge car.

Old 07-30-2018, 11:21 PM
And a 220K turbo S ?

Old 07-31-2018, 08:10 AM
Fair comment, but aren't we pretty far off topic? Yes, you could also wreck a new turbo S, which would be as expensive as a 2016 RS. However, the relative value of a Turbo S holds pretty well (nothing as well as a GT car I admit) and the turbo is much more versatile and is an easy daily driver. The GT3 RS not only has a limited market due to its price, but also because of its very limited purpose. Contrary to the prior gen, it seems like there are a lot of these cars on the market and the over sticker sellers are all over the place. If you are a valued customer (especially a 918 owner), you got one of these cars at sticker. Some of those people are still turning their cars for profit and others don't have use for them, i.e. like to look at them, but found them horrible to drive.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:26 AM
GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !
Depends what the MSRP is on those 2 cars listed to determine if the price is good or not. 800 mile car I would expect to pay $5K below sticker, on the 5,800 mile car depending on condition you would be at $12-$15K below I would suspect.

Either way as mentioned you should determine what you want in the car. I have driven both. I track 4 times a year and the rest of the time is road trips and weekend getaways. I drive my car on public roads way too much to own a RS. If you track a little and then only take your car to C&C or any occasional low mile rip through the canyons, the RS would be ok.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by ryem3
Fair comment, but aren't we pretty far off topic? Yes, you could also wreck a new turbo S, which would be as expensive as a 2016 RS. However, the relative value of a Turbo S holds pretty well (nothing as well as a GT car I admit) and the turbo is much more versatile and is an easy daily driver. The GT3 RS not only has a limited market due to its price, but also because of its very limited purpose. Contrary to the prior gen, it seems like there are a lot of these cars on the market and the over sticker sellers are all over the place. If you are a valued customer (especially a 918 owner), you got one of these cars at sticker. Some of those people are still turning their cars for profit and others don't have use for them, i.e. like to look at them, but found them horrible to drive.
Sure, it might hold on to it's value now days, following the current GT craze which started few years ago but my point was that it's not the "museum" car everyone thought it would be, listing it (and some buy it) for 300k+.. what about wrecking a Mclaren which are known for losing value? anyway, yes, it's off topic. If we go back to the car itself, exactly like i started, i never understood it (the gt3rs .1), how is it a "track monster" when a "soft" turbo S takes on it on 2-3 different track types, and now the turbo S is "soft" "not driving oriented" and so on while the slower track car is a "track monster".. the only thing left for this car is the noise, so when did we all became "racing boys" ?
A real example from a unaffected Porsche market- Where i live, we are hit with 120% tax which mean flipping cars is not impossible but very unlikely. therefore, you can see which car people really want, including the tracking guys. My friend traded in his .1 rs for a turbo S after a few month enjoining the noise, he realize he is driving around with a huge spoiler, making all that noise and been taken on the track and traffic light by to many other cars without that noise and spoiler.. another guy was excited from the new .2 gt3 noise trading in his 1000 miles turbo S for it, brought it back after 2 weeks ("to slow, under power") to find out the turbo S was already sold (for a profit, that's what you "flip" in the real market ), ordered his gt2rs (which will set you back 770K USD here by the way, retail price).

Old 08-01-2018, 09:36 AM
Originally Posted by sniry12345
Sure, it might hold on to it's value now days, following the current GT craze which started few years ago but my point was that it's not the "museum" car everyone thought it would be, listing it (and some buy it) for 300k+.. what about wrecking a Mclaren which are known for losing value? anyway, yes, it's off topic. If we go back to the car itself, exactly like i started, i never understood it (the gt3rs .1), how is it a "track monster" when a "soft" turbo S takes on it on 2-3 different track types, and now the turbo S is "soft" "not driving oriented" and so on while the slower track car is a "track monster".. the only thing left for this car is the noise, so when did we all became "racing boys" ?
A real example from a unaffected Porsche market- Where i live, we are hit with 120% tax which mean flipping cars is not impossible but very unlikely. therefore, you can see which car people really want, including the tracking guys. My friend traded in his .1 rs for a turbo S after a few month enjoining the noise, he realize he is driving around with a huge spoiler, making all that noise and been taken on the track and traffic light by to many other cars without that noise and spoiler.. another guy was excited from the new .2 gt3 noise trading in his 1000 miles turbo S for it, brought it back after 2 weeks ("to slow, under power") to find out the turbo S was already sold (for a profit, that's what you "flip" in the real market ), ordered his gt2rs (which will set you back 770K USD here by the way, retail price).
Yeah, prices in Israel, I could only imagine. You hit on the main points though. It is a pure track car that has little other purpose and might be entertaining taking to cars and coffee, but once you're tired of that, the car will sit in the garage. And it isn't the fastest on the track either. Even now the 2018 GT3 is quicker, so the car is really a lame duck. The GT cars will always be interesting, but improvements have really made the "track only" niche a challenging one. Indeed, a turbo S is faster, yet could take the kids to school or commute comfortably to work. The 2014-2016 GT3 makes a lot more sense, hence why the values of those cars are really holding firm. They have all the excitement of the 9k RPM redline, more streetable than an RS, and more affordable.

Old 08-01-2018, 11:15 PM
Originally Posted by ryem3
Yeah, prices in Israel, I could only imagine. You hit on the main points though. It is a pure track car that has little other purpose and might be entertaining taking to cars and coffee, but once you're tired of that, the car will sit in the garage. And it isn't the fastest on the track either. Even now the 2018 GT3 is quicker, so the car is really a lame duck. The GT cars will always be interesting, but improvements have really made the "track only" niche a challenging one. Indeed, a turbo S is faster, yet could take the kids to school or commute comfortably to work. The 2014-2016 GT3 makes a lot more sense, hence why the values of those cars are really holding firm. They have all the excitement of the 9k RPM redline, more streetable than an RS, and more affordable.
"Interesting" (and special) is really correct definition for that car, and what Porsche intended. Still amusing to see/read comments of people who watch to many you tube videos but never drove (or own, of course) none of the cars, suggesting the gt3 is "the only sport car, all other Porsche are Mercedes s-class".

Old 08-02-2018, 06:16 PM
Sig Sauer is on a distinguished road
You guys are making points based on your own opinion just like guys you are busting on.

There are a million different likes, wants, need's with these cars. While some find one model fine in one perspective others find it unacceptable and visa versa but why the need to classify everything?

I have friends that have GT3 RS's and do not track them ever and instead daily drive them with no complaints. I have others friends that would tell you they are too loud and rough. A few of the guys we know love their Turbo S cars while others find them boring and un-engaging but none of us bust on others for their specific preference.

Last edited by Sig Sauer; 08-02-2018 at 06:24 PM.
Old 08-03-2018, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by Sig Sauer
You guys are making points based on your own opinion just like guys you are busting on.

There are a million different likes, wants, need's with these cars. While some find one model fine in one perspective others find it unacceptable and visa versa but why the need to classify everything?

I have friends that have GT3 RS's and do not track them ever and instead daily drive them with no complaints. I have others friends that would tell you they are too loud and rough. A few of the guys we know love their Turbo S cars while others find them boring and un-engaging but none of us bust on others for their specific preference.
I agree that it sure seems that way.
However, my points have little to do with whether or not I'd daily drive a GT3 RS. It's that the people that WOULD say that are a very limited number. And it isn't as livable as a Huracan or 488, even though it is a bit cheaper. It is in respect to value and demand. On cars.com, there are 92 2016 GT3 RS's on the market. There are 155 2014-2015 Turbo AND Turbo S's! Would you say it is a soft market for the RS? Certainly a lot fewer RS's were made. Some cars that people don't care if they sell and most of the others at delusional pricing that no one is willing to pay. I'd still argue that buyers of these cars over $200k will look forward to losing a lot of money. But many buyers in this category don't care that much, I admit.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is this a good deal for 2016 GT3 RS?