GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2

About to jump on a GT3. What should i look for? Over-revs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 10:47 PM
Harry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud of
About to jump on a GT3. What should i look for? Over-revs?

Sorry folks, looks like i'll be whoring the GT3 section soon!

I'm very close to jumping on a 991.1 GT3. This particular vehicle has 35k miles. She's a driver, and i plan to put another 35k+ on it myself. That's the plan at least. Just looking for pointers on things to look out for during the PPI and my personal inspection? Are over-rev's still a thing on PDK? Can you even over-rev a PDK? Anything in particular i should look at on the centerlock mechanism? Centerlock lugs have been changed recently. Any insight would be great. Thanks!

-HTH

Old 05-23-2018, 07:27 AM
GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !
Good PPI should be all you need. No over revs for a PDK so no need for a DME report. I would check into the engine stuff it were me. Still original engine? Is it a E, F or G serial motor. E the worst of the batch, F is better and G is the best. I would want to see all the maintenance records and Carfax. With all that you should be good.

Old 05-23-2018, 02:55 PM
Harry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Goin2drt
Good PPI should be all you need. No over revs for a PDK so no need for a DME report. I would check into the engine stuff it were me. Still original engine? Is it a E, F or G serial motor. E the worst of the batch, F is better and G is the best. I would want to see all the maintenance records and Carfax. With all that you should be good.
Thanks for the info Goin2drt. Engine was replaced during the recall. The vehicle seems to be one of the first 991 GT3's, in service date was Jan 2014, not sure if this matters in any way. It is not a salvaged or branded title. From my understanding, some were branded due to this recall? That's what the current/selling owner told me. How can i check to see which engine (E, F, G) it is?

Last edited by Harry Da Hamster; 05-23-2018 at 02:59 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:34 PM
GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Harry Da Hamster
Thanks for the info Goin2drt. Engine was replaced during the recall. The vehicle seems to be one of the first 991 GT3's, in service date was Jan 2014, not sure if this matters in any way. It is not a salvaged or branded title. From my understanding, some were branded due to this recall? That's what the current/selling owner told me. How can i check to see which engine (E, F, G) it is?
Back engine lid has the engine serial number plate. You would know if it was branded, be on the title.

Old 05-23-2018, 03:46 PM
Originally Posted by Goin2drt
Back engine lid has the engine serial number plate. You would know if it was branded, be on the title.
Do you know if they replaced that engine number plate to match the new engine when the recall was fulfilled?

Old 05-23-2018, 03:55 PM
Engine E10632. Not good?

Old 05-23-2018, 04:23 PM
Engine E10632. Not good?
Not necessarily bad. The motors were replaced either at the factory or at the port once it arrived. Purely from experience and not data driven but my friends that had the motors replaced at port have continued to have multiple issues to included one being bought back after the 4th engine replacement in a couple of years. The e motors replaced at the factory seem to be holding up better.

For me the E motor was a no go. I spent more to get a F motor and was trying to find a G.

Bottom line most will say you now have the 10 yr / 120K mile motor warranty and that is true. For me I was trying to at least limit the chance of that failure and even having to deal with it.

Good Luck!

Old 05-25-2018, 04:08 PM
K997 will become famous soon enoughK997 will become famous soon enough
You'll want to triple check that the engine was replaced. The 991.1GT3 had some pretty serious issues that seemed to plague the 14s and 15s. Not sure about 16s.

What year is the one you're looking for?

Old 05-25-2018, 11:14 PM
Originally Posted by K997
You'll want to triple check that the engine was replaced. The 991.1GT3 had some pretty serious issues that seemed to plague the 14s and 15s. Not sure about 16s.

What year is the one you're looking for?
It is a 2014 model year

Old 10-13-2018, 03:19 AM
ScottM is on a distinguished road
I believe these engines are covered under the 10yr/100k Mile warranty, so very good for you