Potential Source for E85 Flex-Fuel Kit for 997/GT3s - 6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

Go Back  6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource > Porsche (Present) > GT3/GT2
Reload this Page >

Potential Source for E85 Flex-Fuel Kit for 997/GT3s

GT3/GT2 Performance and Track Discussion on the Porsche GT3 and GT2
Sponsored by:

Old 02-13-2019, 07:34 PM
LateBraking is on a distinguished road

Hey 6speedonline folk,

Wanted to see if there is any interest in something like this on this forum. Interest in E85 seems to be picking up nowadays for other cars and maybe the GT3 community would be interested as well.

So, any of you near Temple, Texas? I ask because I emailed AFD a few months ago about a flex fuel kit for 997 GT3s. At the time, they stated that if they had a car to develop a Flex-Fuel kit on, they might be willing to create a kit for us. I originally put the email to the wayside since I was like "This place is 1,400 miles away from me." but I'm posting this now because A: I just remembered recently thanks to discussion about their flex fuel kit for BMWs, and B: I figured hey, maybe someone else is closer and can help make E85 flex fuel a reality for all of us.

Also, I think people in the other forum didn't even understand what flex fuel is. Flex-Fuel kits have an ethanol content sensor that reads the fuel mixture of a car, and adjusts your car for the mixture on the fly. You can run straight 91 octane, straight E85, or more importantly, any blend of the two without the need to park your car, drain your gas tank, and flash to a completely different map for the fuel that you are filling up on. It’s popular for boosted cars like Nissan GT-Rs and Subaru WRX and STis and even comes from the factory as a feature on some cars like on the Ford F-150. Benefits for our naturally aspirated cars would be a bump in power, and more importantly, a stable source of quality fuel other than 100 octane. Especially helpful for people located in Arizona, California, and Nevada where our fuel quality is worse than everywhere else in the CONUS (which is why Cobb’s off-the-shelf Accessport maps have ACN-91 specific maps). Would be nice to be able to switch fuels without the fuel tank drain and reflash monkey exercise.

Some additional info in flex fuel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flexible-fuel_vehicle
https://thebuildjournal.com/reviews/...lex-commander/
https://www.advancedfueldynamics.com...le-id-2-closed

No affiliation other than my having bought their kit for my E46 M3 track car (via Summit Racing), and hoping that we can get a kit for GT3s so I don't have to fill up on crap Cali-91 anymore. And maybe they'll make a kit for the 991 GT3 guys too, I'm sure it all depends on drumming up some interest and reaching out?

Last edited by LateBraking; 02-13-2019 at 07:44 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:39 PM
flsupraguy will become famous soon enough
I would do it if I was in TX

Old 02-14-2019, 09:05 PM
LateBraking is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by flsupraguy View Post
I would do it if I was in TX
Same lol. Gotta be someone out there, right?