6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   GT3/GT2 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/gt3-gt2-12/)
-   -   SharkWerks GT3/GT3RS Muffler Bypass Released (with videos) (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/gt3-gt2/99373-sharkwerks-gt3-gt3rs-muffler-bypass-released-videos.html)

prodigue 01-06-2009 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by CarNerd (Post 2202599)
No. If you remove all the mufflers and go full straight pipes you might experience a noticeable torque loss in the lower RPM's as these n/a motors are very sensitive to back pressure, exhaust pulses, etc, but you wont notice any improvement or decline in performance with just deleting the center muffler. With the exception of being able to constantly hear one of the greatest noises know to man!

That's comforting to hear. In the promo vids, I also noticed the exhaust would gurgle and pop upon the lifting of the throttle. IMO i prefer a clean smooth sound.. does the gurgle happen everytime you lift?

CarNerd 01-06-2009 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by prodigue (Post 2202781)
That's comforting to hear. In the promo vids, I also noticed the exhaust would gurgle and pop upon the lifting of the throttle. IMO i prefer a clean smooth sound.. does the gurgle happen everytime you lift?

It depends on the load and RPM but yes you will get more gurgle and pop. You're the first i've heard of that doesnt like it...? I love it!

sharkster 01-06-2009 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by prodigue (Post 2202540)
Just one quick question.. would putting on the bypass change the power delivery if I remain on the stock ECU? Such as more lag etc? I experienced a change when I put on a 3" exhaust on my previous turbo car.. but not so sure about a NA car like the GT3.

There's literally no difference in routing/back pressure the way we did ours so it's not like you need an to do an ECU nor will you loose anything down low. We worked with EVO to get software done for it but it's not "required" or anything. We're dealing with an NA car here vs a turbo car so it's completely different;) There's no change in throttle response/low-end torque etc... by changing out to the center bypass. It's still being routed just the same as it would via the factory unit except that you don't have all of the surrounding muffler/chamber....

sharkster 01-06-2009 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by CarNerd (Post 2202599)
With the exception of being able to constantly hear one of the greatest noises know to man!

Cheers very much Colby;)!

Originally Posted by prodigue (Post 2202781)

Actually the stock set up with the sport button pressed can induce that too... it depends on what you're doing in terms of driving (letting off etc...). If you drive normally then it won't really do that but if you back-off the throttle quickly/suddenly and aren't warmed up etc.. you'll see:D

CarNerd 01-06-2009 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by sharkster (Post 2202890)
There's literally no difference in routing/back pressure the way we did ours so it's not like you need an to do an ECU nor will you loose anything down low. We worked with EVO to get software done for it but it's not "required" or anything. We're dealing with an NA car here vs a turbo car so it's completely different;) There's no change in throttle response/low-end torque etc... by changing out to the center bypass. It's still being routed just the same as it would via the factory unit except that you don't have all of the surrounding muffler/chamber....

Originally Posted by sharkster (Post 2202896)
Actually the stock set up with the sport button pressed can induce that too... it depends on what you're doing in terms of driving (letting off etc...). If you drive normally then it won't really do that but if you back-off the throttle quickly/suddenly and aren't warmed up etc.. you'll see:D

From the master himself. Do it, your wont regret it!

prodigue 01-06-2009 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by sharkster (Post 2202896)
Cheers very much Colby;)!

Cool.. thanks for the insight. Btw, could you tell me the advantages/disadvantages (if any) about upgrading to a full system (header back) like Cargraphic to a simple muffler bypass swap?

Does the significantly extra cost of the full system actually produce significant gains or it's marginal to a certain degree?

I chose wrong exhausts for my previous cars and it really taught me a lesson to do my homework.. so your advice would be much appreciated thank you!

CarNerd 01-06-2009 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by prodigue (Post 2203248)
Cool.. thanks for the insight. Btw, could you tell me the advantages/disadvantages (if any) about upgrading to a full system (header back) like Cargraphic to a simple muffler bypass swap?

Does the significantly extra cost of the full system actually produce significant gains or it's marginal to a certain degree?

I chose wrong exhausts for my previous cars and it really taught me a lesson to do my homework.. so your advice would be much appreciated thank you!

These motors are extremely efficient and trying to get meaningful hp out of them is pointless and lots of $$$$$$$. I'd say at best with a proper tune and full exhaust you may get 30 hp and that will run you close to 10k. Your money is much better spent else where, like safety equipment, lighter wheels, track time, etc... And with those, you'll notice increased performance in more than just the straights (ie: cornering and braking). Especially with lighter wheels and losing significant weight (~150lbs). If you want a lot of hp get a turbo or GT2.

I'm sure Shark will chime back in and confirm or correct.

prodigue 01-06-2009 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by CarNerd (Post 2203273)
These motors are extremely efficient and trying to get meaningful hp out of them is pointless and lots of $$$$$$$. I'd say at best with a proper tune and full exhaust you may get 30 hp and that will run you close to 10k. Your money is much better spent else where, like safety equipment, lighter wheels, track time, etc... And with those, you'll notice increased performance in more than just the straights (ie: cornering and braking). Especially with lighter wheels and losing significant weight (~150lbs). If you want a lot of hp get a turbo or GT2.

Understood.

Speaking of wheels.. what about Champion RS171?

03-turbo911 01-07-2009 05:47 AM

Excellent wheels! I had the RS98 wheels on another car and loved them. Most of the GT3/RS cars here are running the Sharkworks Bypass and I don't know anyone who wasn't blown away with the sound.

sharkster 01-07-2009 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by prodigue (Post 2203248)

Colby has it right, the full systems can be really, really expensive and it'd be one thing if you were dealing with a Turbo car where the gains are at least worth it. You're going to spend a lot of $ for very little gain (maybe 10-12hp?) and the other thing that you will notice is a lot of resonance/drone. Anytime you start messing with the side mufflers the GT3/RS and its lack of sound deadening is going to give you heach aches on a street car... You could also do software if you're wanting more HP but again it's not going to be the same type of gains as on a turbo car for obvious reasons. You'll get better throttle response and about 10-15hp. I hear you on the lesson and if it's any consolation if for some reason you don't like it you can always send it back etc...:D

Originally Posted by CarNerd (Post 2203273)

Spot on Colby... 10K for 12hp which is worth it to some but not everyone. Plus there's the drone etc... Light weight wheels, some safety equipment etc... I think for a GT3/GT3RS that's where you're best served.

Originally Posted by prodigue (Post 2203312)
Understood.

Really good/strong/light wheel. We had similar Champions our Cayman S.

Originally Posted by 03-turbo911 (Post 2203470)
Excellent wheels! I had the RS98 wheels on another car and loved them. Most of the GT3/RS cars here are running the Sharkworks Bypass and I don't know anyone who wasn't blown away with the sound.

Hehe thanks Khalid, you folks are kindly representin'! The RS98 is exactly what we used on our Cayman S too. Great choice.

https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3016...0371d01d_o.jpg
https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3109...ca1a3a3f_o.jpg

CarNerd 01-07-2009 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by prodigue (Post 2203312)
Understood.

Great choice! Of the Champion wheels the 171's and 98's are my favorite. If they made them in 18 I would already have a set. If you're going to track the car though, get a good set of 18's (BBS E88's or Mags, CCW C10-C14's, HRE C-series, or any Fikse Profil)

That is one bad@ass Cayman! How would that thing hold up against a stock 6 GT3 on track?

CarNerd 01-07-2009 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by sharkster (Post 2203729)
... and the other thing that you will notice is a lot of resonance/drone. Anytime you start messing with the side mufflers the GT3/RS and its lack of sound deadening is going to give you head aches on a street car...

Yup, real drone is a b****! Completely not worth the extra weight loss (especially b/c 99% of most DE'ers wont even notice it) and it's not going to sound all that much more racey. Also, if you're not into the whole barks, gargle, snap-crackle-pop thing, a full system is going to be even worse.

Originally Posted by sharkster (Post 2203729)
I hear you on the lesson and if it's any consolation if for some reason you don't like it you can always send it back etc...:D

You couldn't have asked for a better deal!

mooty 01-07-2009 11:42 PM

if you want to add power to gt3, buy a turbo, it's much cheaper that way.
if you want to lose wt on gt3, rip everything out just keep the seat and steering wheel. the instrument pod and dash are all dead wt as well.
if you want to lose torque overall, use aftermkt header and straight pipes.
if you want the car to sound like it's on steroids, install shark bypass. it doesn't drone.

sharkster 01-09-2009 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by mooty (Post 2204936)
if you want to add power to gt3, buy a turbo, it's much cheaper that way.
if you want to lose wt on gt3, rip everything out just keep the seat and steering wheel. the instrument pod and dash are all dead wt as well.
if you want to lose torque overall, use aftermkt header and straight pipes.
if you want the car to sound like it's on steroids, install shark bypass. it doesn't drone.

Hehe thanks Mooty and so glad you like it... Now this is your _last_ RS, correct;)?
http://videos.g33kd.net/turtle_post/P1060769.JPG
http://videos.g33kd.net/turtle_post/P1060798.JPG

sharkster 01-09-2009 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by CarNerd (Post 2203956)

That is one bad@ass Cayman! How would that thing hold up against a stock 6 GT3 on track?

Hey Colby, thanks and it was a fun/fun car... It's not as raw/involving I think as the 3 but it's a blast to drive in any situation and so well balanced. Great chassis!