6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Lamborghini (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/lamborghini-41/)
-   -   458 Italia or Lp560-4 Superleggera? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/lamborghini/301651-458-italia-lp560-4-superleggera.html)

farris 03-02-2013 02:42 PM

458 Italia or Lp560-4 Superleggera?

10 Attachment(s)
Guys,

Advice and opinions would be appreciated. For many, myself included, the 458 is the go to car in this price range. However, the Superleggera can be had for almost the same price, has CF all over the place and looks great. Given the points below what is the better car:

- it is a daily driver and will be also used on long road trips
- the weather is often wet and raining
- the driver is 6ft 1 and big
- assume pricing is the same
- 0 to 60 and 60 to 120mph is the most important as the car will rarely pushed beyond 120mph.
- car will not be tracked
- neither cars will receive any performance mods, but the 458 would be lowered on wheels (as per pic)
- CF is really sexy and to have loads of CF in a 458 costs several pretty pennies.

Here are pics of the two cars and your advice is much appreciated.

besiktas 03-02-2013 05:01 PM

lp 570 hands down for me.

farris 03-02-2013 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by besiktas (Post 3783871)
lp 570 hands down for me.

Looks wise 100%.

I just worry that as a DD or on long drives it might not be comfortable.

DarrinB 03-02-2013 06:13 PM

LP-570

no question

yellowbull 03-02-2013 06:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
LP 570 all day. I had both cars the Lambo is a great car. If its going to be a DD they do have an optional seat you can get

JmanE55 03-02-2013 09:18 PM

458 for me.

TorqueChap 03-02-2013 09:38 PM

You answered your own question :)

LP560 Super all day long

iBoost 03-02-2013 10:06 PM

LP570 no doubt.

farris 03-03-2013 03:59 AM

Thanks Guys!

What is so funny is I also posted a thread in Ferrari Chat. They all said 458 no question and all you guys say 560 SL.

Here is what I have gathered from all the input I have received:

Pros for 458:
- Has more modern electronics
- Has more comfortable seats and a more spacious interior
- Is in the middle of its life cycle where as the 560 SL is at the end
- Transmission is the best! It's like one big gear and is so easy drive around town. Having spent a couple weeks behind a 458 this is certainly true.

Pros for LP560SL:
- Looks!
- Interior is sexy as hell
- Four wheel drive
- can be upgraded with a nice touch screen head unit, whereas the 458 has a really annoying interface for music control
- due to the ability to add head unit, one can put in a really nice light weight audio system. Carbon fibre speakers and sub, digital amps...
- SLs are more rare than 458s

Important Questions Left To Answer:
- Since the 560SL is at the end of the Gallardos life, how much is it likely to depreciate over the next year or two compared to 458? This is a crucial consideration.
- when is the Cebrera (Gallardo Replacement) coming out in Europe?
- All SLs I have seen have bucket seats. How comfortable is it on long drives? I need to sit in one I guess, but more input is welcome, especially on long (several hour) drives.
- Which has more trunk space? The rear shelf will not be useable due to lightweight audio system.

What can I say guys, two great cars! I do think the SL is more special and purely on sex factor it would be the SL. I need to answer the questions above to really be fully informed.

Thanks Again!

AudiBull 03-03-2013 11:22 AM

Hmmm....which one is less likely to catch fire?...Bad question. I love both, but the SL being at the end of it's life cycle is an issue. Sticking to my tradition of offering up a completely different alternative, Mp4 12c. Carbon Fiber chassis and way more carbon utilized throughout, equal performance wise, 7 speed DCT, English born and bred. I'd still probably go with the 458.

ice350 03-03-2013 12:18 PM

I happen to think the 458 is waaaay more sexy and attractive. Plus it's roomier and more comfy for use as a daily. The Gallardo has those hard edges and creases that make it look dated imo. The 458 is full of sensuous curves. I never care what kind of music system comes in a car since I have no problem upgrading whatever is there.

This is an old arguement. You're either a Lambo man or a Ferrari man.

farris 03-03-2013 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by AudiBull (Post 3784280)
Hmmm....which one is less likely to catch fire?...Bad question. I love both, but the SL being at the end of it's life cycle is an issue. Sticking to my tradition of offering up a completely different alternative, Mp4 12c. Carbon Fiber chassis and way more carbon utilized throughout, equal performance wise, 7 speed DCT, English born and bred. I'd still probably go with the 458.

I really dislike the McLaren. I find it ugly outside and in, plus the interior is even more cramped than a Gallardo.

ivory8 03-03-2013 01:36 PM

I've spent many hours in each car, for a daily driver and long road trips, the ferrari 458 italia is definitely the better buy.

the seats in the superleggera are not comfortable, and are a very tight fit for someone like myself (I am 6 foot 1 and fit). This is the biggest thing for me, being 6 foot 1, i only have about an inch before my head hits the ceiling, and if I'm wearing a helmet on track, i have to scrunch my neck to fit in the seat of the SL.

the 458 has much better visibility through the windows, both side and back.

The Gallardo SL feels rougher and tougher, something that could get annoying on street roads, where the 458 is smoother on speedbumps and feels more delicate.

the gear box in the SL is more violent, where the 458 is seamless, which plays a huge role in comfort in stop and go traffic or at stop lights

honestly the 458 just the better choice for a daily driver.

farris 03-03-2013 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by ivory8 (Post 3784371)
I've spent many hours in each car, for a daily driver and long road trips, the ferrari 458 italia is definitely the better buy.

the seats in the superleggera are not comfortable, and are a very tight fit for someone like myself (I am 6 foot 1 and fit). This is the biggest thing for me, being 6 foot 1, i only have about an inch before my head hits the ceiling, and if I'm wearing a helmet on track, i have to scrunch my neck to fit in the seat of the SL.

the 458 has much better visibility through the windows, both side and back.

The Gallardo SL feels rougher and tougher, something that could get annoying on street roads, where the 458 is smoother on speedbumps and feels more delicate.

the gear box in the SL is more violent, where the 458 is seamless, which plays a huge role in comfort in stop and go traffic or at stop lights

honestly the 458 just the better choice for a daily driver.

This is very helpful. Thanks!

BlownVette 03-03-2013 06:01 PM

I'd only choose the Lambo if I was going to do a TT kit.

IMO the 458 is much better looking with equivalent performance, especially with nice wheels and a drop.