Lamborghini Discussion on the Lamborghini Countach, Diablo, Murciélago, Gallardo, Reventón, Aventador, and new Huracán.

My Murcie is now a SV (AWD system delete)!

Old 05-06-2008, 10:50 AM
Tipo815 will become famous soon enoughTipo815 will become famous soon enough
My Murcie is now a SV (AWD system delete)!

I decided to have the dealer remove the AWD system from my Murcielago to make it RWD (SV) only. A couple of factors led me to do this:

1) Someone else on another forum did it and raved about the car's revised (lighter) handling characteristics.
2) I wanted to save some weight and increase HP to the ground.
3) Wanted to prevent the front tranny from disintegrating due to the aftermarket wheels.

My driving style favors RWD drive cars. All my cars are RWD and I'm used to the back end hanging out a little (drift style). I just seem to be able to feel the car's limits better when the back end is a little loose. In an AWD car it sticks and sticks until it can't stick anymore and by then you're in the bushes or guardrail! I'm sure seasoned professional drivers would disagree with me due to the fact that they have the skill level to reap the maximum benefit from an AWD setup.

The weight savings is substantial between Lambo of OC's custom exhaust and the removal of the AWD system. I had Lambo of OC do all the work and the total weight savings was 200 pounds. Couple that with an increase in HP from the custom exhaust plus more power to the ground without the front differential and the car becomes a totally different animal! Stock Murcies are rated around 575hp at the crank. Actual hp at the wheels is probably 525 (or less). By removing the front diff I bet there is an increase of 25hp to the wheels and another increase of 25hp from the custom exhaust. That's a net increase of 50hp to the ground COUPLED with a decrease of 200 pounds of weight! Substantial!

Lambo of OC warned me (and I heard it from others as well) that my aftermarket wheels - being a different diameter from stock - would prematurely wear my front differential. The rolling aspect ratio from the OEM wheels is different than the aftermarket wheels. As long as you only drive the car locally and not for extended periods of time or at extremely high speeds - there should be no problem with aftermarket wheels. However, since I plan to take a couple of road trips to Vegas where distance and high speed will be factors - I didn't want to roll into Vegas with a destroyed front diff.

I've attached some photos of the AWD removed from the car. As you can see the front diff/mount, drive shafts/CV joints, and prop shaft/torque tube are all gone. Just an open tunnel and empty front bearing carriers.

Attached Images      
Old 05-06-2008, 11:10 AM
Banned
Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !
Nice job! 1 question though: The car has now a true RWD behaviour, i mean the removal of all this components didn't affected it's stability?

Old 05-06-2008, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by Speedshaq
Nice job! 1 question though: The car has now a true RWD behaviour, i mean the removal of all this components didn't affected it's stability?
It is a true RWD car which means it handles completely different than an AWD car. Stability is affected but not in a bad way since I prefer RWD cars. Basically the whole front end feels lighter since the weight of the front diff is gone and the steering shaft no longer has to move all the components connected to the front wheels. You can really tell the difference.

It's just a matter of changing your driving style. It would be the same if you drove a regular Murcielago AWD and then got into a Carrera GT. Two totally different handling cars. The RWD Murcie now handles differently than the AWD Murcie.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:30 PM
Dino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really niceDino V is just really nice
awesome!

Old 05-06-2008, 12:35 PM
Blazing is on a distinguished road
This should be very interesting.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:09 PM
Banned
Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !Speedshaq Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tipo815
It is a true RWD car which means it handles completely different than an AWD car. Stability is affected but not in a bad way since I prefer RWD cars. Basically the whole front end feels lighter since the weight of the front diff is gone and the steering shaft no longer has to move all the components connected to the front wheels. You can really tell the difference.

It's just a matter of changing your driving style. It would be the same if you drove a regular Murcielago AWD and then got into a Carrera GT. Two totally different handling cars. The RWD Murcie now handles differently than the AWD Murcie.
Sounds very, very good. It is possible to do the same with an LP?

Old 05-06-2008, 01:16 PM
ecks is a name known to allecks is a name known to allecks is a name known to allecks is a name known to allecks is a name known to allecks is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Speedshaq
Sounds very, very good. It is possible to do the same with an LP?

Should be ,I guess. But why not wait for the actual SV, that is about to be launched, some time this year.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:24 PM
JN87 is on a distinguished road
200lbs wow!
That's better than Lamborghini managed to drop by removing the front drive system for their upcoming SV, I think they say 90lbs. Although they do drop weight all around the car as well.
The Murcielago doesn't have traction control or ESP, right?
Aslo, did you leave the end of the tranny exposed or did you cover it some way?
Are you considering a LSD for the rear to further improve handling, or is it not your priority?
Sorry, lots of questions, but the engineer in me wants to know some of that technical stuff, considering I would have loved to see a Murcielago RWD from the begining.

Last edited by JN87; 05-06-2008 at 01:27 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:21 PM
srtricky is a splendid one to beholdsrtricky is a splendid one to beholdsrtricky is a splendid one to beholdsrtricky is a splendid one to beholdsrtricky is a splendid one to beholdsrtricky is a splendid one to beholdsrtricky is a splendid one to behold
does traction control still work?

Old 05-06-2008, 02:27 PM
Same process for the LP640. The reason NOT to wait for the actual SV is to have it on the car you own now (which will be ALOT less than buying a new 2009 Murcie SV). I also agree with JN87 that the Murcie should not have been AWD to begin with.

The 200 pounds savings INCLUDES the removal of the OEM muffler (which is an anchor) and the installation of Lambo of OC's custom exhaust system. The front gear sticking out of the rear tranny is exposed but there is no danger of anything happening to it since the bearing is sealed and the gear itself is recessed up in the body area. Can't really hit it or damage it in any way.

The Murcie DOES have traction control which now kicks in alot earlier but I drive all my cars with TCS OFF so it does not matter. Handling is very manageable now as a RWD car. Much more fun! It's the way Murcies should have been from the start!

Old 05-06-2008, 02:30 PM
Enilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond reputeEnilder has a reputation beyond repute
why do aftermarket wheels wear off front diff?
any idea why it is?
thanks and i wonder if you can still launch like you could when it was AWD hahaha
you now get TONS of wheel spin considering increase in HP due to weight savings and aftermarket parts.
time to shred some tires eh? enjoy!

Old 05-06-2008, 02:42 PM
rmani will become famous soon enoughrmani will become famous soon enough
rwd conversion is just want the murci needs i love the handling characteristics of rwd cars I wish lamborghini at least offered the option straight from the start. One question though is do you have LSD? i know on the 911 turbos if you convert to rwd only you don't have LSD to help put the power down.

Old 05-06-2008, 03:03 PM
JN87 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the info Tipo
I guess since you changed out the boat anchor muffler while removing the front driveline, the overall weight balance of the car hasn't changed much.
That is definetly something I would have done if I had a Murcie, and I guess the money savings from doing this instead of waiting and paying the premium on the SV just to have RWD makes sense.
Launching the car should give you a bit more challenge but at least now you get tire smoke and not clutch smoke from dropping the clutch to aggressively

Old 05-06-2008, 11:39 PM
alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !alzilla300 Is a GOD !
That's so awesome! This is the first time I've heard of anybody doing this sort of conversion to their Murci. Do you have any pics of the whole car?

Old 05-06-2008, 11:50 PM
bradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond reputebradb1us has a reputation beyond repute
Why is power automatically increased by just removing the front driveline?

Does the Murci know to transfer power to the rear now that the front isn't functional or something?

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My Murcie is now a SV (AWD system delete)!