6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Lotus (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/lotus-136/)
-   -   How many miles do these cars last? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/lotus/197440-how-many-miles-do-these-cars-last.html)

e39m5 01-05-2010 10:09 AM

How many miles do these cars last?

Almost every used Exige/Elise example for sale is less than 20,000 miles. The most I've seen is 60,000. I realize they have a Toyota motor, but do they last as long as a Toyota? Any other car, I really wouldn't mind buying with 60,000 miles. Is there any reason I should be concerned with this car?

e39m5

XLR82XS 01-05-2010 10:23 AM

I had a customer with an 05 Elise with 60K on the clock. As long as the frame stays out of heavy salt for extended time periods you should be ok. His heater box leaked and the front clam had to be removed to install the updated box. It'll eat tires (like P-car) but just keep up with the maintenance. They're great cars overall.

jjm4life 01-05-2010 04:28 PM

theres no reason it wont last. the reason you see so many low mileage cars is because its truly a specialty car. not many people are as dumb as i am to daily drive them. its the same way my moms 997tt is considered high mileage at 14k. people sell them with like 3-5k on them. just the nature of the car.
with regular maintenance theres no reason it cant go 100,000 plus. its just a fiberglass toyota

Francesco 01-12-2010 04:13 PM

I can't see them not lasting. As long as the frame and strut towers stay intact I don't see any worries. The motor is replaceable and theirs also a number of engine swaps that can performed.

Tuskir 02-07-2010 09:16 PM

It takes a special kind of indevidual to truly enjoy these cars to the max, so the few people who drive them daily and put lots of miles on them, don't sell them, that's why you only see low mileage cars for sale :)

Exlondoner 02-08-2010 02:09 PM

The Exige has been practically sitting in the garage since October and ventured out once since then and I'm guessing many other Exige/Elise owners living in harsher winter climates do the same.

So far I've had zero issues and am planning to keep this machine for a long time or until I find something more exciting hilarious

NOLA911 02-08-2010 06:02 PM

I had 62k on mine when I sold it. Not an issue to speak of.

There is a thread on an elise forum about high mileage cars and there are a few with over 100 thousand who have the same results. Even if you blow the engine up, you can get a 4cyl toyota engine for 2 thousand dollars. They are great cars, go for it.

jjm4life 02-10-2010 12:47 PM

im not sure how these cars got a reputation for being so delicate. if anything its just the body work thats delicate. its a toyota motor, so its more or less bulletproof (current toyota issues aside of course)

exlondoner- its ashame yours is parked up for the winter. but with the snow you guys are getting in the mid atlantic i dont really blame you. as ive said in other threads, my exige s with blizzaks on it has handled winter very well here in boston, even though its been a fairly mild one.

porscheboy7 02-17-2010 02:24 PM

I like these