Lotus Evora, Elise, Exige, Esprit, Seven etc.

Can't fit into my childhood dream car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 07:29 PM
echo220 is on a distinguished road
Can't fit into my childhood dream car

Ever since I was a kid, I've always dreamed about the Espirit Turbo. I own a couple nice car now but that one is still always on my mind. Well, came across a 2002 Espirit Turbo in a beautiful black colour with low mileage and fully checked out by the dealer at a reasonable price. Got my mouth watering so I had to go check it out and what a beautiful car. The only problem, I can't fit in it !!!! I could get my self in it with a bit of wiggling but I have a hard time fitting both feet in that small boot where the clutch, brake and gas peddles are. Can't step on the clutch without tapping the brakes and boy was it a tight fit. I'm not small but at 6'1, 190 lbs, I'm not that big either. Got myself all pumped up and justified to fulfill a childhood dream but I guess it will just have to remain as a dream.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:42 PM
SigFan229 is a splendid one to beholdSigFan229 is a splendid one to beholdSigFan229 is a splendid one to beholdSigFan229 is a splendid one to beholdSigFan229 is a splendid one to beholdSigFan229 is a splendid one to beholdSigFan229 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by echo220
Ever since I was a kid, I've always dreamed about the Espirit Turbo. I own a couple nice car now but that one is still always on my mind. Well, came across a 2002 Espirit Turbo in a beautiful black colour with low mileage and fully checked out by the dealer at a reasonable price. Got my mouth watering so I had to go check it out and what a beautiful car. The only problem, I can't fit in it !!!! I could get my self in it with a bit of wiggling but I have a hard time fitting both feet in that small boot where the clutch, brake and gas peddles are. Can't step on the clutch without tapping the brakes and boy was it a tight fit. I'm not small but at 6'1, 190 lbs, I'm not that big either. Got myself all pumped up and justified to fulfill a childhood dream but I guess it will just have to remain as a dream.
Sometimes if you modify the sliders of the seats ect. it can work for taller people. (I have seen a 6foot 5 guy fit into a Elise with the right seats)

Old 06-05-2010, 08:16 AM
pcarnutty is on a distinguished road
its a snug fit for sure

Old 06-27-2010, 08:29 PM
Airborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to behold
yeah it's tight.. I have an '02 and I'm 5'8" and fit nicely inside. I wouldnt say it's impossible. those seats are dated and big for a sports car and havent changed in years.. you could get the 350 sport "thinner" seats or put Elise/Exige seats inside that would give you some needed inches. also if you remove the rails and mount the seats to the floor, it would give you another 3" of headroom. the seats come out the easiest of any car that I have seen. just reach under the car with a 14mm and remove 4 bolts- comes right out. I'm actually in the process of trying different seats in my 25th anniversary edition.. I am doing the changes the factory should have..after I changed the GM Bonneville airbag out with a Euro Elise Steering wheel, I now am now getting rid of the seats.. If only I had a source to replace the crummy Renault gearbox good luck with your search.. it is a fun car for sure

Old 08-14-2010, 06:00 PM
GeoffM is on a distinguished road
I also tried to fit in one, I fully expected to fit w/o issue. was shocked to find how small espirit was. I could actually fit nearly 2x as well in the elise.... must be some odd proportions i have?

Old 08-21-2010, 03:13 PM
Bus Driver J is on a distinguished road
Im 6'5" 275 and have driven a few Espirit's before. By far not that comfy but manageable.

Heck, I can slide right into 111's. My only issue with them is with a size 15 shoe, I can only drive them with socks or flip flops, hahaha. I hit the gas and brake at the same time...

Old 11-27-2010, 07:44 PM
BlackSheep will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Bus Driver J
Im 6'5" 275 and have driven a few Espirit's before. By far not that comfy but manageable.

Heck, I can slide right into 111's. My only issue with them is with a size 15 shoe, I can only drive them with socks or flip flops, hahaha. I hit the gas and brake at the same time...
I'm 6'1 205 and have had an 88 Esprit Turbo for 12 years.. It was my dream car since a kid as well, I just made myself fit in it! I always take my right shoe off to drive it.. The valet guys always laugh when I get out and put my shoe on!

Old 11-30-2010, 04:05 PM
exigejoe is on a distinguished road
just try to modify the seats.
Its hard for me to get in and out of the exige i am border line from not fitting, but i bought her anyways!

Old 02-11-2011, 05:28 AM
ul2fly is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by exigejoe
just try to modify the seats.
Its hard for me to get in and out of the exige i am border line from not fitting, but i bought her anyways!
How big would you call border line? I'm 5'11 @ 225...just wondering if I would be happy with the Elise/Exige.