Lotus Evora, Elise, Exige, Esprit, Seven etc.

2002 25th anniv Esprit Turbo, what to look for?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 12:37 AM
10th03cobra is my hero!!!
hj16 is on a distinguished road
2002 25th anniv Esprit Turbo, what to look for?

Are there any know problems with the 2002 model year that stand out beyond normal wear and tear? I can't remember reading anything good about an Esprit transmission. The 2002 I am looking at has just over 10,000 miles, has had all recommended services, had the clutch replaced at 7500 miles (wtf?), upgraded Lotus ECM flash (claim 400hp/400tq) and fresh oil changes every year whether it needs it or not.

It is coming from a Lotus dealership, if that helps alleviate any concerns I should be having

Thanks

Old 06-29-2010, 05:00 PM
echo220 is on a distinguished road
I'm interested in this too. Might have to replace my 05 997 C2 track car. Anyone used this car on the track ? How does it handle and more importantly how does it hold up under those conditions ?

Old 06-30-2010, 10:25 AM
350zbiturbo is a jewel in the rough350zbiturbo is a jewel in the rough350zbiturbo is a jewel in the rough350zbiturbo is a jewel in the rough
Its a great car, the anniversaries are not bad. What you have to watch out for are the 2000's and under. If you take care of the car it will last, the only real weak part on the car is the transmission, but everyone knows that.

I loved it, I had an 04 and it was a super fun car. THe 1st to 2nd gear shift is the bad one, and you never wanna do that fast. If he changed the clutch, I wouldnt worry to much, just find out what brand he went with to make sure its a decent one, and make sure the mech that did it is qualified.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:36 PM
Airborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to behold
I have an '02 25th Anniversary edition (#028/100) and I love it. I have never taken it on the track so I can not help you there. my only real recommendation is to seek out an '03.5 or an '04- these are known as the "final editions" and are well sort after. finding and actual '04 is rare- there were only 100 25th anniversaries and much less 2004's. the Final Editions have subtle differences- most importantly are the adjustible coilovers (which I've upgraded to) but also have aluminum heater control *****, cross-stitching on the seats, different rear lower valence than the '02's (02 "cheesegrater valance has round holes whereas the FE has ovals) and different style of grating in the front bumper and engine surround. Nothing major but if you are in the market- you might as well seek out the more rare model.

good luck- you're going to love it.
-T

Old 07-09-2010, 05:28 PM
Well, after 30 years of waiting and spending money on expensive schools, expensive houses and expensive landscaping, the old man finally wound up with his dream car.

He has wanted one of these since he was 23 years old and saw "The Spy Who Loved Me" and once he went out and set his eyes on this one he was done. He said he was able to contain himself for a while, until he got to flog it on the highway

I'll make sure to post pictures once he takes delivery, but until then here is a shot from the dealer.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:06 PM
BTW, his first complaint was that it wasn't loud enough. Anyone know of a high quality brand that makes exhaust for an Esprit? Or a reputable tuner?

I tried doing a quick google search but not much came up

Old 07-09-2010, 11:31 PM
Airborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to beholdAirborne Ranger is a splendid one to behold
Tell the old man, congrats Stebro makes a good one- He might want to start perusing lotusespritworld.com and espritfactfile.com

all the best,
T

http://www.stebro.net/html/

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 07-11-2010 at 10:19 PM. Reason: active link to a commercial non sponsor site
Old 07-11-2010, 08:34 PM
phaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond repute
Check out my old for sale ad. Just sold an 02 25th to someone that got a great deal. It was and is a tremendous car. The high torque Lotus reflash helped. Additionally, if your old man got a new esprit with the center exit exhaust I have trouble believing it isn't loud enough. The older ones are more quiet.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:47 AM
Originally Posted by phaphaphooey
Check out my old for sale ad. Just sold an 02 25th to someone that got a great deal. It was and is a tremendous car. The high torque Lotus reflash helped. Additionally, if your old man got a new esprit with the center exit exhaust I have trouble believing it isn't loud enough. The older ones are more quiet.
I remember your ad, beautiful condition and the red is stunning. Unfortunately the old man was looking for a British Racing Green example and one with as few miles as possible.

It does have the center exhaust, same year and edition as yours, but apparently he wasn't too impressed. I think him having to listen to my mustangs for the past 8 years has changed his perception of whats loud.

Could you tell me more about the reflash? What parameters were changed if you happen to know.

Thanks

Old 07-12-2010, 06:17 PM
phaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond reputephaphaphooey has a reputation beyond repute
Can't quote any specifics on the specific parameters. Someone smarter than me will have to chime up. I thought the center exit was pretty darn loud personally but I suppose those with different frames of reference would think differently.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:34 PM
RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !
Gorgeous car, congrats to him!

Old 08-26-2010, 02:48 PM
Taken from a post of mine on another Forum...

Originally Posted by hj16
Considering the car only had 10,200 miles on it and with Lotus's notorious reliability concerns he wanted to have it shipped back here to Illinois. Through the dealer he was able to setup a enclosed deliver during his scheduled three days off for the remainder of the month... and of course like anything in life, problems came up. After guaranteeing a deliver during that stretch, the transport pulled out three days before the scheduled delivery citing mechanical issues and weather delays. After a quick scramble to try and find a last minute transport (thanks Slash for the attempt) we ended up saying **** it, lets drive it back.

So there we were, Ohare at 830am to catch a flight to Phoenix to drive a pampered Lotus that had never gone more than 100miles at one time, 1610 miles through the mountains of Arizona and New Mexico (6000+ feet), the heat of Oklahoma and Missouri (105+ without heat index) and the road construction of Illinois (5 different zones, way too fresh tar and a painful amount of gravel).

Without making a long story longer, she made it without a single hiccup, kept taking the abuse from our heavy right feet, was rock solid at over 155mph, kept pumping cold air, got nearly 20mpg and most importantly the ****ty Renault tranny held up to some brutal 1-2 onramp powershifts.

The only causalities were the 500,000 or so bugs we took out, a tiny tiny gravel scratch on the windshield, some tar that took a few hours to remove and the poor poor chin spoiler that hugs inexplicably close to the road... seriously, I hangs 1-3/8" off the ground and is well in front of the front wheels, we were selecting gas stations and hotels based off whether we could get the car up the curb cut without ripping the front end off.

All in all, a fun trip with the old man, a good time to catch up on life and make some new, high speed, memories.

Here are the lone three phone pictures I took from the trip, the GF will be doing a HQ photoshoot this fall and I'll make sure to post the pics then.

Picking it up in Scottsdale

Filling up in Missouri, note the insane amount if brake dust

Arrive home, clean, show it off to Mom

Old 08-26-2010, 05:08 PM
qvpower is on a distinguished road
Nice color!

Old 08-26-2010, 06:22 PM
Banned
08Turbotip has much to be proud of08Turbotip has much to be proud of08Turbotip has much to be proud of08Turbotip has much to be proud of08Turbotip has much to be proud of08Turbotip has much to be proud of08Turbotip has much to be proud of08Turbotip has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by hj16
Taken from a post of mine on another Forum...
Awesome write up... Ive had 2 Lotus Esprit TTV8's. My first was a 2000 and i bought it in Atlanta Georgia and drove it all the way home to AZ (2200 miles) in a little over 24 hours straight... The car ran perfect on that trip, and the next 48,000 miles I put on it..

A few years later I bought a Final Edition which was covered by Modified Luxury and Exotics.. Another great experience. Awesome cars..

Only thing id say is DONT POWERSHIFT 1-2nd...

Old 08-26-2010, 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by 08Turbotip

Only thing id say is DONT POWERSHIFT 1-2nd...
haha, yeah, we knew better going into it, but just couldn't help ourselves on the trip...

...it won't be powershifted 1-2 anymore, scouts honor

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2002 25th anniv Esprit Turbo, what to look for?