Lotus Evora, Elise, Exige, Esprit, Seven etc.

What Scares Me Away.....

Old 05-12-2013, 04:57 PM
Whitey#1 has a spectacular aura aboutWhitey#1 has a spectacular aura aboutWhitey#1 has a spectacular aura about
What Scares Me Away.....

.....from buying a Lotus Evora is that I read on the other forum how unreliable they can be and all the problems associated with Lotus cars. I would absolutely LUV to have one, but I am 5 hours away from my nearest dealership (St. Louis) and simply cant get over there 3-4 times a year.

I had just about talked myself into buying an Evora when a guy on the other forum posted a pic of a Honda Accord and said he's put more miles on this car than his Evora in the 7 months that he's had it. The Honda is the renter from his dealership when his Evora breaks down.

This is my first post on this Lotus forum. I never realized it existed.

Whitey

Old 06-03-2013, 05:30 PM
Former Vendor
L.A.P. is a jewel in the roughL.A.P. is a jewel in the roughL.A.P. is a jewel in the roughL.A.P. is a jewel in the rough
I would definitely recommend the Lotus Talk forums for more information. There will be horror stories with every car similar to the one you described. I have read that Lotus has MUCH better reliability than it did in the 90's. With that said it will not compete with the reliability of a Japanese Sedan.. As usual, you have to pay to play.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:33 AM
Tormac is on a distinguished road
Hello,

Do the people that have warned you about Lotus reliability actually own a Lotus?

I have owned an Elise for seven years now, and have not had a single issue with it. I have a little over 30k miles on the car, and found it no more work to own than the Toyota Mr-2 I owned previously.

Keep in mind that modern Lotuses have Toyota drive trains that are that have to be among the most bullet proof out there.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:47 PM
plastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to allplastique999 is a name known to all
Likewise have Not heard about reliability issues with Evoras - get one with warranty

Old 12-23-2013, 12:16 AM
Korntera has a spectacular aura aboutKorntera has a spectacular aura aboutKorntera has a spectacular aura about
I am on Lotus Talk too and have seen more than a few problem threads on the Evoras, really no problems to speak of on the Elise/Exige models though.

Old 12-08-2016, 10:55 AM
papigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of light
I don't come on this forum too often mainly on the AM forum here but that said I have a 2011 NA Evora. Bought new now has close to 50,000 miles on it. I daily drove it for 4 years though 4 New England winters(with a good set of PA3's). It has had some issues but overall minimal and low cost repairs and nothing that you wouldn't see in any other car. Yes in the first year it had the majority of the problems brake and clutch master, door handles and a AC condenser that was leaking. These were likely due to the small volume lots lotus buys and some just lack good QC up front.
Now that the car is sorted out it really is a great car. My original goal was to retire it to a track only car when I bought my Aston but it is just such a fantastic car to drive I still drive it at least once a week along with frequent track days.
In most forums, Lotus Talk included you get lots of people who want to gripe about their problems which in my opinion most of the time are their fault with the way they drive or maintain their cars and have little to do with the actual problems that most owners see or don't see.
If you have an opportunity to by a Evora get it keep it and drive it all the time you will not regret it. Don't worry about the dealer proximity most of the problems if you are not under warranty and service are pretty easy to do.
Sorry for the rant

Old 01-10-2017, 10:54 AM
eZg
eZg is on a distinguished road
I too am in love with the esthetics of the Evora. Not only is the exterior exciting but the interior has a beautiful flow that includes gorgeous Recaro Sportster front sears.

Although I have to wonder why Lotus would engineer a car that costs 5 to 7 THOUSAND dollars to replace a wearable item like a clutch. Makes buying a pre-owned example a little nerve wracking.

but God are they gorgeous.

Old 01-11-2017, 05:53 PM
papigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by eZg
Although I have to wonder why Lotus would engineer a car that costs 5 to 7 THOUSAND dollars to replace a wearable item like a clutch. Makes buying a pre-owned example a little nerve wracking.

but God are they gorgeous.
The clutch is very durable and should easily last over 100K miles though if you believe the forum whiners it will only last 10K. This too is a issue you see on most every forum "oh the clutch is poorly designed and I had to replace mine after only a few miles." The aston martin forums are full of this about the vantage as are the evora forums. Heavier higher hp cars can go through clutches very fast if not used appropriately
What I've seen from riding as an instructor in many cars over the years is there are lots of people some of whom are excellent drivers but are incredibly hard on their clutches. What I would say if you really are interested in the Evora and especially if you are looking at a one owner car. Before you drive it make the owner take you for a ride first and watch what he does with his left foot.

That said $5k every 100k miles for the absolute telepathic driving bliss you get from owning an evora is well worth every penny IMHO.( not to mention you could easily drop half that to have a clutch done in your Kia Optima

Old 08-01-2017, 07:15 PM
Lotus907 is on a distinguished road
I will not argue that Lotus' can be quirky and a bit problematic at times, and having an S1 Esprit makes me qualified to speak to those areas. However, we have several Evora's in our modest little club in Phoenix (Lotus Owners Of Phoenix) and when everyone else stops driving them to meetings in our hot summer, the Evora's keep showing up. I have not heard of them being problematic or unreliable but of course it all depends on your frame of reference. I do not suppose they are considered reliable when compared to a Fusion, or a Ram truck or a Civic. Compared to other Lotus' however, ahem, I do not think considering to own one is a very risky decision.

Old 08-02-2017, 04:32 AM
MrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud of
I am adding an Evora 400 (3 pedal) to the group (just waiting for the right price). I want it because like my 4C it is a drivers car, though compared to the 4C it has a lot of luxury. No car is trouble free (at least no car I've ever owned and I've owned a lot of them), and I think cars like the 4C and Evora might be the last of a dying breed, so I want to have both.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:35 AM
Wow, panicking over needing a clutch at 100K miles? Worried over where the dealer is? How about those who have engine out services every 15K? Now there's something to worry about.

MrPrice, wise decision and nicely said. Call this a virtual pat on the back.

Old 08-08-2017, 04:37 AM
MrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud of
Well I found mine, bought on Saturday. I just could not resist, only one I have seen with this color combo. Paperwork was sent yesterday should arrive today. Dealer is in Ohio, so only about 475 miles from me, so could be here by end of week.

Attached Images   
Old 08-08-2017, 04:56 PM
Good for you and though not a black wheel fan, will ya look at that blue...looks like some fun and pride of ownership is on the way...

Old 08-15-2017, 10:39 AM
BLKFIN is on a distinguished road
Not far in front of you, I bought mine two weeks ago. Flew from Dallas to Albuquerque and drove it 10 hrs home. You could not slap the smile off my face.

Mine is a 2014 Evora S, had 1360 miles on it and still had a year of factory warranty on it for a little peace of mind and the ability to correct a couple small cosmetic issues. I put almost 700 more miles on it on the ride home...just clicked over 2025 miles now.

Old 08-18-2017, 04:26 AM
Very nice, enjoy

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What Scares Me Away.....