6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   McLaren (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/mclaren-177/)
-   -   Baby Mclaren to rival F430 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/mclaren/108001-baby-mclaren-rival-f430.html)

adelg88 11-29-2007 11:56 AM

Baby Mclaren to rival F430

idk if this has been posted of not so i will.

cLaren is developing a V8-powered successor to the F1 supercar – and the latest issue of CAR Magazine has the pictures.

The lightweight, two-seat coupé – codenamed P11 – will hit the road in 2010, but CAR's seven page feature reveals precisely how it looks. Using our network of spies, we've built up a detailed dossier on the car’s design and development, with the inside line on:

• the key rivals that the P11 targets – from the most famous names in supercars
• its lightweight construction, layout and performance ambitions
• where the supercar is testing, disguised as which key rival
• who's part of the project – and which famous McLaren collaborators are not

The November issue of CAR has the full story on the spiritual successor to McLaren's F1. That V12 supercoupé, launched in 1993, hit 240mph and trounced 0-62mph in 3.2sec, performance benchmarks only now being matched by rivals, more than a decade on.

That’s why the stunning P11 is one of the most eagerly-awaited cars in development.
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/secret_...id=1011&page=1

NAPO 11-29-2007 12:28 PM

Too bad it will use the same AMG 6.3L engine as the current 63 AMGs...

Monaco 12-02-2007 06:15 PM

^What's so bad about that? That motor is brilliant and when paired to a proper gearbox (not auto) it will make a killer combo!

alzilla300 12-02-2007 06:45 PM

I think it'll be cool to see McLaren build a Ferrari fighter of their own.

NAPO 12-02-2007 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by jpvarghese (Post 1499825)
^What's so bad about that? That motor is brilliant and when paired to a proper gearbox (not auto) it will make a killer combo!

First off, it really isn't that brilliant of an engine. Yeah it makes good power, but look at the displacement. It's a 6.3L engine with 507hp (more or less in some models), which means it makes about 80hp per liter, which isn't impressive at all.

Second... An engine that is used in every 63 AMG, just doesn't belong in a McLaren. A supercar is suppose to be unique and special. This McLaren won't be very exclusive if it has the same engine as all the other AMGs on the road. McLaren would be taking the cheap route if they did that. A fresh new engine should be made especially for this car.

This is where they went wrong with the SLR. The 55 AMG engine is a great engine, but it should have never been used in the SLR. It takes away from the specialness and exclusivity of the car. Every guy with a 55 AMG could walk up to an SLR owner and be like, "That's a great car, my car has the same engine in it." This would be an insult to any SLR owner because his car was almost half a million dollars and isn't your common AMG.

Just my .02 cents.

neversleeps 12-02-2007 07:05 PM

that looks a lot like the CGT plus the NSX concept

tractorcrusher 12-03-2007 07:14 PM

Hm... Looks a lot like the Ascari KZ1.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n...kz1-709470.jpg

Ryan in SD 12-03-2007 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by NAPO (Post 1499915)
First off, it really isn't that brilliant of an engine. Yeah it makes good power, but look at the displacement. It's a 6.3L engine with 507hp (more or less in some models), which means it makes about 80hp per liter, which isn't impressive at all.

Second... An engine that is used in every 63 AMG, just doesn't belong in a McLaren. A supercar is suppose to be unique and special. This McLaren won't be very exclusive if it has the same engine as all the other AMGs on the road. McLaren would be taking the cheap route if they did that. A fresh new engine should be made especially for this car.

Tell that to pagani

http://www.diseno-art.com/images/Pag...ter-engine.jpg

.:Raul 12-03-2007 10:57 PM

This is where they went wrong with the SLR. The 55 AMG engine is a great engine, but it should have never been used in the SLR. It takes away from the specialness and exclusivity of the car. Every guy with a 55 AMG could walk up to an SLR owner and be like, "That's a great car, my car has the same engine in it." This would be an insult to any SLR owner because his car was almost half a million dollars and isn't your common AMG.

Just my .02 cents.

yes that is exactly true. imo the SLR is a failure because of the engine. to me that is. common a supercar with an engine used in regular street cars? that's just sad

NAPO 12-04-2007 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by Ryan in SD (Post 1502637)

The engine in the Pagani Zonda 7.3 S is the engine that was used in the 1995 Mercedes SL73 AMG. Pagani didn't really do anything to refine or upgrade this engine, it has the same amount of torque as the SL73 AMG, and just 30 more horsepower. Pagani uses this same engine in all their models, but the newer ones, like the Zonda F and the Zonda F Clubsport are tuned to make more power then the pathetic 555hp that the 7.3 S makes. This engine is over 12 years old and it doesn't belong in any supercar. Pagani makes very beautiful cars, but they were never all that fast, considering they are supercars. The only reason they are fast at all is because they are extremely light. The Zonda F Clubsport might have gotten a great Nurburgring time, but the car itself isn't impressive at all. The technology and mechanics in the car are ancient. The carbon fiber work on the car is amazing, but if you look at what's under the body shell, Paganis aren't very special.

930Cruz 12-08-2007 11:54 AM

Just my .02 cents.

Nobady said the McLaren F1 wasn't a supercar and it only had that V12 from BMW.

Mercedes makes motor's to be reliable for every Tom, Dick, and Harry with just a little twekking they can pull much more horsepower out.

Get your facts straight the 5.4liter in the DTM is 582hp that's 107.7hp per liter. More hp then the 6.1 liter in the McLaren F1

So just imagine what they can do with 6.3liter

930Cruz 12-08-2007 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by .:Raul (Post 1502799)
yes that is exactly true. imo the SLR is a failure because of the engine. to me that is. common a supercar with an engine used in regular street cars? that's just sad

The SLR is a failure of epic misproportion not because of the motor, because it is a Giant f***ing Phallic symbol. It is like wearing a tie when everyone else is wearing 501's. You're at the wrong party. Take you're SLR and I'll take your girlfriend home on the handlebars of my Schwinn Cruiser and send her home when I'm done. You'll still pay the bills, but she'll always be thinking about me.

The DTM is more exclusive and ten times more subtle and faster. 107.7hp per liter in that. **** I'll take an E63 wagon with you're girlfriend my girlfriend and my kids, with that ordinary motor anyday.

NAPO 12-08-2007 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by 930Cruz (Post 1513800)
Nobady said the McLaren F1 wasn't a supercar and it only had that V12 from BMW.

Mercedes makes motor's to be reliable for every Tom, Dick, and Harry with just a little twekking they can pull much more horsepower out.

Get your facts straight the 5.4liter in the DTM is 582hp that's 107.7hp per liter. More hp then the 6.1 liter in the McLaren F1

So just imagine what they can do with 6.3liter

What are you talking about??

I never mentioned anything about the McLaren F1 or the CLK DTM. The engine I am talking about is the 6.3L from the current 63 AMG models, not the DTM engine.

You should actually read what people write, before telling them to get their facts straight. ;)

930Cruz 12-08-2007 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by NAPO (Post 1514192)
What are you talking about??

I never mentioned anything about the McLaren F1 or the CLK DTM. The engine I am talking about is the 6.3L from the current 63 AMG models, not the DTM engine.

You should actually read what people write, before telling them to get their facts straight. ;)

I did, and my point is proprietary does not always mean better or even faster if McLaren felt it ok to use the V12 from BMW to make one of the best supercars ever. There new supercar will be up to the task with whatever Mercedes motor they decide on. I doubt they will leave well enough alone with the 6.3liter as it sits that's all I am saying. Though I may not like the SLR it is a Tech Marvel, but ugly nontheless.

Carroll Shelby used the best motor he could, without going proprietary and frankly I still stand in amazement every time I drive, see, or hear a real Shelby Cobra. I am certain Bruce McLaren's name won't be soiled by a 6.3liter MB motor.

I gotta go my F40 just got here.

Cheers.

Redlinerobert 12-08-2007 05:37 PM

Nice! Lets see pics of the F40. :)