McLaren MP4-12C, SLR, F1, P1, P13

Is the Mclaren MP4-12C the benchmark entry super car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 03:16 PM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
This car to me is it, its the penultimate entry super car that performs a class above. But I will say I am glad I am not in a position to buy one....the choices have already given me a few mild headaches. The interior choices alone!

Old 07-29-2010, 03:40 PM
Peloton25 will become famous soon enough
Assuming that one of the "4... YES FOUR!!!" McLarens he owns is the Gulf GTR in your photo (#12R) - I only knew of three in his collection. That one, a black road car (#069) and a longtail F1 GTR.

I'm quite curious if you'd be willing to fill in the missing piece to that puzzle for me.

>8^)
ER

Last edited by Peloton25; 07-29-2010 at 08:34 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:24 PM
80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Peloton25
Assuming that one of the "4... YES FOUR!!!" McLarens he owns is the Gulf GTR in your photo (#12R) - I only knew of three in his collection. That one, a black road car (#069) and a longtail F1 GTR (#22R).

I'm quite curious if you'd be willing to fill in the missing piece to that puzzle for me.

>8^)
ER
Hmmm My Friend's first name is Aaron.. Same guy you know? If so, then you also know that he bought the entire Williams F1 collection of cars AND the entire McLaren F1 collection (they are all sitting in a warehouse in a secret location) and he has one of Ayrton Senna's F1 championship winning Cars mounted on the wall of his loft in New York..

One of the McLarens he owns is the FIA GT Championship Car that was driven by Alan McNish.... He also took another FIA spec car and converted it back to a street Car. It was bought by another guy from him and reconverted back to race car specs... He's a great guy.. was in the Formula Atlantic Series here in the USA for a while... He also has a couple of Porsche 962's and a 956...

Last edited by 80shilling; 07-29-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:40 PM
80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !80shilling Is a GOD !
Just checked and he only has 2 at the moment.. Both are in the UK... He sold the FIA Car... I got to ride in it at Thunderhill Raceway, here in Northern California, when it was still race spec. I also got to be a passenger in a couple of the Porsches.. a 956 in the Shell colors and a 962 in Blaupunkt livery.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:49 PM
Aaron was the one I was referring to. I'm aware he has a pretty vast collection but I mostly concern myself with the McLaren F1s and where they are around the world. Here's the F1 road car he owns - love the plate.

>8^)
ER

Old 07-29-2010, 08:59 PM
Aaron was the one I was referring to. I'm aware he has a pretty vast collection but I mostly concern myself with the McLaren F1s and where they are around the world. Here's the F1 road car he owns - love the plate.

>8^)
ER
HA!! It's a small World... I guess there are only a given number of people with McLaren F1's.

Yeah.. When he told me he had bought the McLaren AND Williams Formula One collections, I almost choked...

Cheers... I will update things when I know more.. I will make sure I take plenty of pictures of the MP4-12C at it's unveiling.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:43 PM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
Pretty amazing car. My prediction by the time it's for sale in the US it will be over $200k and close to but under 3,000lbs due to safety equipment, etc.

Interestingly it doesn't have a limited slip differential which I find amazing. My article about that here: http://www.examiner.com/x-5826-San-J...McLaren-MP412C

It also has some media pics and a video.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:09 PM
Your link isn't working on my end. I even attempted to access it directly through the Examiner website and no luck that way either.

It appears your article is titled "McLaren MP4-12C design flaw" relating to the cars lack of a Limited Slip Diff. If so, there appears to be a working copy here:

http://www.allexoticcars.com/blog/10...2c-design-flaw

With all due respect, I think it's great that you can judge the technical merits of a car you have never driven based on what you've read about in a press release.

McLaren have now logged over 1 million test miles on 12C prototypes around the world on all surfaces and in all conditions, including a countless number of laps on race tracks all over the world. They've even handed the car over to a pair of Formula 1 Champions named Jenson and Lewis they just happen to keep around who both gave the car glowing reviews. I am positive that if Chris Goodwin and his team felt the car required an LSD one would have surely been fitted by now.

>8^)
ER

Last edited by Peloton25; 07-29-2010 at 10:26 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:56 AM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
Your link isn't working on my end. I even attempted to access it directly through the Examiner website and no luck that way either.

It appears your article is titled "McLaren MP4-12C design flaw" relating to the cars lack of a Limited Slip Diff. If so, there appears to be a working copy here:

http://www.allexoticcars.com/blog/10...2c-design-flaw

With all due respect, I think it's great that you can judge the technical merits of a car you have never driven based on what you've read about in a press release.

McLaren have now logged over 1 million test miles on 12C prototypes around the world on all surfaces and in all conditions, including a countless number of laps on race tracks all over the world. They've even handed the car over to a pair of Formula 1 Champions named Jenson and Lewis they just happen to keep around who both gave the car glowing reviews. I am positive that if Chris Goodwin and his team felt the car required an LSD one would have surely been fitted by now.

>8^)
ER
If you noticed, the entire site was down for maintenance. I'm sure Porsche, BMW and Dodge have tested their cars without LSDs either but guess what? They end up on their high performance models.

Point being is no LSD is a handicap, period.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:38 AM
Did you ask McLaren for a comment on the issue prior to publishing your article?

>8^)
ER

Old 07-30-2010, 10:14 AM
Did you ask McLaren for a comment on the issue prior to publishing your article?

>8^)
ER
The answer to that question is in the article. Link again:

http://www.examiner.com/x-5826-San-J...McLaren-MP412C

Old 07-30-2010, 10:18 AM
I must admit that the lack of a Limited Slip Differential concerns me a bit... Every high performance Car I have owned has had one, including my present GT2... When the LSD goes bad on the GT2's (especially the 996 GT2) then it really screws up the handling of the Car, not to mention leaving you with almost no drive out of slower corners... I got to drive a friends 2003 GT2 with a bad LSD and it was horrible.

On the other hand, McLaren above all companies, should know what they are doing when it comes to high performance Cars.. My hope is that they have come up with something that removes the need for an LSD... If the work is being done via electronics controlling wheelspin with the brakes, then I will be VERY unhappy, because that method causes brutal brake wear and overheating problems, especially somewhere like Sear Point/Infineon and at Thunderhill.

We shall see...

Last edited by 80shilling; 07-30-2010 at 10:36 AM.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by Deuuuce
The answer to that question is in the article. Link again:

http://www.examiner.com/x-5826-San-J...McLaren-MP412C
I see one line that says "There has to be a good reason why the McLaren doesn't have an LSD so I contacted them with that question." What follows are pieces of data pulled from the press release, not a direct statement credited to anyone from McLaren that really addresses the question.

Anyway, you're certainly entitled to your opinion. Those who have reason to be concerned like 80shilling will form their own opinions during the test drive.

>8^)
ER

Old 07-30-2010, 12:36 PM
OK... Got my Private Preview Invitation from McLaren... This should be great.. Private 1 hour preview, including test drive, followed by C0cktail Party...

Old 07-30-2010, 12:46 PM
I hope you are right, but I'm not so sure you'll be getting access to a test drive at Pebble Beach. I've read the first customer drives in the 12C won't be available until next year - sometime in January. If you find out differently I'd be interested to know that for sure.

>8^)
ER

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is the Mclaren MP4-12C the benchmark entry super car?