6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   McLaren (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/mclaren-177/)
-   -   Test drove the MP4-12C today (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/mclaren/256150-test-drove-mp4-12c-today.html)

'08C4S 09-27-2011 07:32 PM

Test drove the MP4-12C today

5 Attachment(s)
Had an opportunity to test drive an MP4-12C today. :cool:

It is every bit as good as I imagined it would be and completely matched my expectations. I owned a 458 Italia for a bit... The McLaren is in direct competition with the Italia both on paper and as I found out today behind the wheel as well.

Blazing fast, feels just a tad faster than the Italia by the seat of the pants. Feels a bit less edgy and nervous and the few hundred lbs difference in the weight is noticeable. The MP4 is and feels a bit lighter.

Strangely enough, while it feels a bit more forgiving, softer sprung and more compliant, the MP4 feels just a tad more planted when pushed. The track mode is less stiff than the race mode in Italia overall but the MP4 feels more confidence inspiring. I drove the MP4 on the streets so of course all I can say relates to spirited driving on the street, not at 10/10 on the track.

Dual clutch tranny seems to be on par with the Italia. Brakes are stupendous just like the Italia.

Interior is quite nice and clutter free. Dihedral doors are cool and getting in and out is not as bad as it may look.

Steering is razor sharp with lots of feedback, IMHO, just as good as the Italia.

A really fun car to drive if not quite as stimulating in terms of cabin motor sound. The Italia puts an orchestra behind your head, it is a symphony of motor noises, the MP4 sounds great in track mode, especially at WOT but not quite as intoxicating or exotic.

I did like the MP4 better in person than pictures.

Overall, a fantastic car!

'08C4S 09-27-2011 07:35 PM

4 Attachment(s)
A few more pics

RDH 09-28-2011 04:54 AM

thanks....finalizing specs now :)

jaymoney 09-28-2011 12:53 PM

I drove the car today as well, simply unbelievable. Extremely well balanced and capable. The ergonomics are great and the car is comfortable at low speeds and so-so roads. My drive was a real eye-openner. Big hats off to the engineers at Mclaren. I echo the sentiments about the cars appearance is better in person. Coming from the Aston world, it's high praise to say that this car has an elegance that the Italians lack.

jaspergtr 09-28-2011 12:57 PM

I'm extremely jealous...

This car sounds like it is turning out to be everything Ron Dennis said it would be.

SRoser 10-07-2011 04:50 AM

Glad things seem to have improved. I was a bit worried after the initial reviews but it looks like it's turned out as hoped and intended.

sechsgang 10-07-2011 04:47 PM

Ah nice at Porsche of the Main Line. I saw Bob D yesterday come to think of it. Glad you liked the car.

cohenfive 10-08-2011 09:25 AM

i have a buddy in the uk who owns a silver one, and his experience over a bit longer period of time basically confirms all of the above....quite comfortable and liveable for daily use, but with amazing performance and handling on tap whenever you want it....i hope to get a chance to drive his one day...

jaymoney 10-08-2011 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by cohenfive (Post 3335514)
i have a buddy in the uk who owns a silver one, and his experience over a bit longer period of time basically confirms all of the above....quite comfortable and liveable for daily use, but with amazing performance and handling on tap whenever you want it....i hope to get a chance to drive his one day...

Has your friend experienced any of the trouble with the electronics or the other issues? This car is really growing on me but I have hear that they have a way to go to work out all of the kinks.

cohenfive 10-08-2011 11:10 AM

not to my knowledge but i will ask him...

cohenfive 10-09-2011 09:08 PM

spoke to my buddy briefly..he has had no problems but he's heard they are having some software issues that on some cars are causing the battery to discharge...

the fast one 10-12-2011 07:33 AM

Top gear did an episode recently against the itilia and their biggest complaint was it did everything so well and the name

stef430 10-12-2011 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by the fast one (Post 3338955)
Top gear did an episode recently against the itilia and their biggest complaint was it did everything so well and the name

3 full seconds faster on the the track TAN THE 458 is LIGHT YEARS faster - remember it is just a bit over a minute per lap - and it beat it by 3 whole seconds - not 0.3 -- INSANE!!

Name it PigVomit for all I care.....

jaspergtr 10-12-2011 08:59 AM

It was tuned for that track (much how Ferrari does, but still).

You expect a car developed for a specific track to perform above average.

Let's see those same cars at VIR (or other English track).

I did see some posted video of someone in one going extremely slow (don't really blame the owner, I'd probably be the same way - for the first couple laps).

SRoser 10-12-2011 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by jaspergtr (Post 3339027)
It was tuned for that track (much how Ferrari does, but still).

You expect a car developed for a specific track to perform above average.

Let's see those same cars at VIR (or other English track).

I did see some posted video of someone in one going extremely slow (don't really blame the owner, I'd probably be the same way - for the first couple laps).

The Hockenheim results are fairly interesting:
MP4-12C :- 1:08.7 (1 lap, Corsas)
458 :- 1:10.5 (supertest)

Anglesey National
MP4-12C :- 59.3 (damp, PZeros)
458 :- 59.2 (damp, MPSSs)

Both these tests were conducted following the pre-production amendments after the relatively poor Bedford and Rockingham tests, although the Anglesey car was the black one, so I'm not sure if that got the updates. The orange Hockenheim/Top Gear car definitely has.

Some of the rumoured manufacturer laps are pretty damn interesting too, so good that without proof nobody would believe them.hilarious