McLaren MP4-12C, SLR, F1, P1, P13

Vivid Racing's McLaren project

Old 05-04-2015, 01:02 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Vivid Racing's McLaren project

Presenting our newest project; The McLaren MP4-12C.

"The McDuck"

Stay tuned for current progress of the car. Most recent updates will be edited in the original post and a new post added to bump and lock past updates in.

• • • • • • • • •

Update 5/14/15
(OP Edit - This post is more a vehicle status update.)

From our blog, summarized:

"So if you are an avid Vivid Racing blog reader or Instagram follower, then you might have seen our posts on the McLaren MP4-12C roadtrip adventure. This is a brand new Project for us that has been dubbed, the McDuck (after the best cartoon ever, Scrooge McDuck). But why a McLaren? With only 450 2012 coupes here in the states and the new 650S out now with new models coming soon, why go back to an existing model? Well its simple… why not!"

• • •

"So it seems we have a perfect car that has been designed by the factory to get in and drive it? Unlike our Project 997 GT3RS where it was really a racecar in the box, there is more we can squeeze out of the McLaren 12C while aesthetically improving it. If you look at a 650S and 12C next to each other, they look the same. Its when you come to the front that you say, “damn it, that front end is awesome”. The 650S has more of a P1 vibe and the carbon fiber gives it less of a smiling shark face. To spruce up the exterior, we partnered with Vorsteiner to add their V-MC aero kit to the car"

• • •

"With styling comes a new set of wheels. We have worked with almost all the top forged wheel manufactures, but for the McLaren, we wanted to partner with one of the hippest out there, Rotiform. Rotiform has blown up the forged wheel scene with their innovative designs and exempliary art in motion marketing. Built in California, their wheels are available in both a 3piece and 1piece forged setup."

• • •

"Performance will come from a couple of products we will do. First is we will be testing the Armytrix exhaust system. This will be done in a 2 stages. First we will be dyno and sound testing there cat delete pipes or downpipes from the turbo to the muffler. Since these are catless, we anticipate an incredible sound and more mid to top end power."

• • •

"So with already a good braking system in place, what could you do? We are very excited to try out a new setup from WP Pro Brakes. WP Pro engineers and produces a wide range of 4, 6, 8, and 12 piston brake kits along with ceramic rotors. As a special project, we are doing a custom 8 piston front caliper with a 388mm 2 piece rotor up front and a rear 6 piston caliper with a 385mm rotor in the rear."

Read the full blog post, see more pictures and check out our collaboration partners HERE.

Last edited by vividracing; 05-14-2015 at 04:52 PM.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:23 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Let's start with the journey!

"After years of being lucky enough to own several Porsche cars, I jumped ship temporarily to get my first supercar, the McLaren MP4-12C. The list of Project Cars we have done here at Vivid Racing is long. Porsche is the ultimate car for street and track. Our last car, the 991 Turbo was the epitome of Porsche with all its power, technology, and gadetry inside the vehicle. Having had a Porsche 997.2 GT3RS, this was the closest thing I have had to a track car out of the box. But now, we have our hands on this volcano orange 2012 McLaren MP4-12C. I have never driven one or sat in one before this adventure. The last time I made a sight unseen purchase like this was when I bought the Noble M400. The McLaren 12C coupe was only made in 2012 with about 50 units in 2013. Before the release of the 650S, all the McLaren MP4-12C from 2013-2014 are the spider version. The McLaren 12C is the first fully designed and manufactured by the British company since the incredible McLaren F1. Its carbon fiber tub design with front and rear aluminum structures puts out 592hp from the twin turbo 3.8L engine. Some have posted 0-60 times of 2.8 seconds nad 0-100 times of 6.0 seconds.

So my adventure starts out at McLaren San Francisco where I picked up this 1 owner car from the dealership. Working with their sales consultant Alessandro was a great experience. In the past, I have bought used cars and had them shipped from their origin to Vivid Racing in Gilbert, Arizona. This time, I wanted to road trip it no matter the distance, as long as there were cool roads to drive on. We picked the car up on a Thursday evening. After going through the basics of the car and a short test drive, the deal was done and I was the new owner of this amazing machine..."

From our blog, read the rest of the story and TONS of pictures here: Vivid Racing's 12C Blog

CURRENT LIST OF MODS PLANNED FOR THE 12C: We have collaborated with Vorsteiner to run their aerokit. Rotiform will be doing some custom OEM sized wheels. Armytrix will help us out with their titanium valvetronic exhaust. Our very own VR Tuned will boost up power with a ECU flash.

Read the rest of the story and TONS of pictures here: Vivid Racing's 12C Blog

Old 05-11-2015, 10:38 PM
jpohl402 will become famous soon enoughjpohl402 will become famous soon enough
Congrats on the acquisition!

Old 05-14-2015, 04:51 PM
Former Vendor
Update 5/14/15
(OP Edit - This post is more a vehicle status update.)

From our blog, summarized:

"So if you are an avid Vivid Racing blog reader or Instagram follower, then you might have seen our posts on the McLaren MP4-12C roadtrip adventure. This is a brand new Project for us that has been dubbed, the McDuck (after the best cartoon ever, Scrooge McDuck). But why a McLaren? With only 450 2012 coupes here in the states and the new 650S out now with new models coming soon, why go back to an existing model? Well its simple… why not!"

• • •

"So it seems we have a perfect car that has been designed by the factory to get in and drive it? Unlike our Project 997 GT3RS where it was really a racecar in the box, there is more we can squeeze out of the McLaren 12C while aesthetically improving it. If you look at a 650S and 12C next to each other, they look the same. Its when you come to the front that you say, “damn it, that front end is awesome”. The 650S has more of a P1 vibe and the carbon fiber gives it less of a smiling shark face. To spruce up the exterior, we partnered with Vorsteiner to add their V-MC aero kit to the car"

• • •

"With styling comes a new set of wheels. We have worked with almost all the top forged wheel manufactures, but for the McLaren, we wanted to partner with one of the hippest out there, Rotiform. Rotiform has blown up the forged wheel scene with their innovative designs and exempliary art in motion marketing. Built in California, their wheels are available in both a 3piece and 1piece forged setup."

• • •

"Performance will come from a couple of products we will do. First is we will be testing the Armytrix exhaust system. This will be done in a 2 stages. First we will be dyno and sound testing there cat delete pipes or downpipes from the turbo to the muffler. Since these are catless, we anticipate an incredible sound and more mid to top end power."

• • •

"So with already a good braking system in place, what could you do? We are very excited to try out a new setup from WP Pro Brakes. WP Pro engineers and produces a wide range of 4, 6, 8, and 12 piston brake kits along with ceramic rotors. As a special project, we are doing a custom 8 piston front caliper with a 388mm 2 piece rotor up front and a rear 6 piston caliper with a 385mm rotor in the rear."

Read the full blog post, see more pictures and check out our collaboration partners HERE.

Old 06-22-2015, 04:39 PM
Former Vendor
Project McLaren UPDATE!!!

"Just finished installing the VR Tuning Box Kit to give the car more boost and power along with some Armytrix catless pipes. I have not done another dyno test cause its 115F out! But the armytrix pipes are awesome. They come black ceramic coated, have a flex joint, and inside the pipe is like a reverse o2 simulator to make it so no CEL comes on. I have put about 40 miles on the car and nothing. The tone is definitely there and it shoots mini flames with 91octane. The Tuning Box kit is a plug and play and allows for a lot of switching of maps. I would like to do a proper ECU flash, but this is working. The turbo spools up hard right away which is cool. Will have some video soon. "

Going to Dyno this beast soon.

Old 07-10-2015, 02:38 PM
Former Vendor
Old 08-06-2015, 06:25 PM
Former Vendor
Vorsteiner and Rotiform Installed.
Update 8/6/15

The 12C is obviously a gorgeous car already, but these wheels and Vorsteiner kit really bumped it up a notch... Just look at that rear bumper :0

Rotiform has built this brand new design wheel for us to launch on our Project McLaren 12C. The new CHD wheel design features a split, twist spoke with a thick center hub. The wheels we got were done in a double dark, brushed and tinted center, with a chrome black outer barrel and a matte black inner barrel. One thing unique about these wheels is the hardware design. The bolts are done as hidden hardware on every other bolt to give it more spacing and a different style. The wheels are a step lip design with the rear featuring an extra concave face because of its 20×11 size. The front is a 20×8.5 which is slightly less concave but still looks good in front of the massive OEM McLaren brakes. We kept the OEM wheel and tire sizing to not affect the highly engineered McLaren suspension and handling characteristics, while adding a bit of new flavor to the car. Rotiform has become a FORCE in the wheel game with their unique designs, amazing quality and finishes, and their ability to bring out a different animalistic look of the vehicle. These 3 piece forged wheels are made in California by Rotiform’s parent company, MHT Wheels. MHT also produces other wheel lines such as Niche, Fuel, and many more of your favorite and recognized brands under their private label program. Check out our video of the wheels and sneak peak on the car.

Name:  4_zpsstvnzkac.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  79.7 KB

Name:  1_zpsckuwtann.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  103.6 KB

Name:  3_zpsiao7aack.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  99.8 KB

Name:  2_zpsflklyi6p.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  101.8 KB

Last edited by vividracing; 08-06-2015 at 06:35 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:14 AM
Former Vendor
UPDATE! QUALITY PICS FINALLY!

When I got this McLaren, I had every intention from the start to get a aero kit on it. In it’s stock form, the front end of the 12C is just lacking. McLaren really did the body justice when they came out with the 650S front end. The rear too seems tall and needs more aggressive accents to it. All of this definitely came together with the Vorsteiner Aero Kit. In fact, the front end makes me think, did McLaren copy Vorsteiner’s front since it was released first? In addition to the kit, wheels were a must. Generally when we do Project Cars we work with a wheel company and choose the style and color. However this time we did it differently working with the guys at Rotiform. My exact words were, “make me something, just keep the stock sizes“. So that is what they did! And boy did they get unique on me with this new Rotiform CHD 3 piece wheel. We did a nice video review piece on the wheels here. We also added a 4 piece carbon fiber engine panel kit that will be available from Agency Power. So now that we have our basic mods of the ArmyTrix Exhaust, Vorsteiner Aero Kit, Rotiform Wheels, what will we do now? Well, how about a photoshoot . Lights, camera, action in the shop to present these awesome pictures! Trust that we are not done yet, so stay tuned to our Project McLaren Blog Here.