Mercedes / AMG Mercedes talk on the E55 AMG, SLK 55, SL65, the other Classic Mercedes models.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: EGT Mercedes

Has anyone done a track/DE event in their CLK BS?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 02:27 PM
tssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to behold
Has anyone done a track/DE event in their CLK BS?

I'd appreciate hearing comments/advise from anyone who has taken their CLK Black Series to a DE/track event. I am going to do so and would appreciate thoughts/suggestions on this particular car. I have no interest in using up a set of brakes or tires or running the car to redline...just want a safe venue to exercise the car without the worry of police, pedestrians, bicyclists, etc. To that end, I won't be pushing (and refuse to be pushed by other drivers or instructors) the car near its capabilities, but am still looking for experiences. Thanks

Old 06-30-2009, 02:43 PM
DFW911T will become famous soon enoughDFW911T will become famous soon enough
Based on what you've written here, you have no need to fear using the car anywhere near its capabilities.

The car is exceptionally capable, I would suspect that the driver is the limiting factor in 95% of the time that a Black Series may find its way to a track. (The driver is the limit when I'm driving.)

I put 30+ sessions on my Corsa tires (track only), and they're not done yet. I put 30+ on my front brakes plus 12k street miles and just changed the fronts, rears are still good.

The car is rock solid and a few track sessions will prove that. Enjoy your track time, let us know your thoughts when done.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:50 PM
JJayB is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by tssci
I'd appreciate hearing comments/advise from anyone who has taken their CLK Black Series to a DE/track event. I am going to do so and would appreciate thoughts/suggestions on this particular car. I have no interest in using up a set of brakes or tires or running the car to redline...just want a safe venue to exercise the car without the worry of police, pedestrians, bicyclists, etc. To that end, I won't be pushing (and refuse to be pushed by other drivers or instructors) the car near its capabilities, but am still looking for experiences. Thanks
First of all this car is bullet proof given your intended use. I ran my car in Germany in the AMG Masters Sports Trophy after delivery from the facory.
They have been designed and built to be used on the track. The chassis is seam welded and triangulated like a race car giving it extreme stiffness. It has extra oil coolers for the engine, trans and power steering. The rear differental also has an oil cooler. The seats are as good as race seats for lateral support.

The only recommendation is to have the alignment checked. The stock set up has too much toe out and needs about 2mm toe in. I'd dial in as much camber as possible which is about 2.5 deg neg front. The brakes are fine and I haven't found anything aftemarket that's better than the stock pads.
This car is so good on the track its should be illegal. I could go on and on but this is a car that you can drive to the track race all day and drive home.
Not many cars have that capability.
Jimmy

Old 07-01-2009, 07:52 AM
tssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to behold
Thank you..

Thanks guys for your responses. I've had about everything there is to own in an automobile and the BS is truly an amazing package....such a brute yet entirely civilized when it needs to be.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:54 PM
Spdrcrj is on a distinguished road
I've never considered a MB before but recently saw a BS at Spring Mountain Raceway that has me changing my tune. Posts like the ones above are really pushing me towards a 63 BS for street/track applications. Thanks for the posts.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by Spdrcrj
I've never considered a MB before but recently saw a BS at Spring Mountain Raceway that has me changing my tune. Posts like the ones above are really pushing me towards a 63 BS for street/track applications. Thanks for the posts.
I would counsel you not to drive it unless you're really serious:
http://www.mbworld.org/forums/clk63-...ck-unless.html

Old 07-02-2009, 09:30 PM
Spdrcrj is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by DFW911T
I would counsel you not to drive it unless you're really serious:
I won't drive one until I can afford it. Gotta wait until next year when I sign my civilian contract and my post Air Force future is secure. Then pay off second mortgage on the house, have 6 months of income in savings, two deployments (so I can have about $50k to put down), and then I'll be ready to drive one.

Until then, my 480rwhp/535rwtq Vipertruck will have to do.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:15 PM
I won't drive one until I can afford it.
Thank you, you are a wise man.
Gotta wait until next year when I sign my civilian contract and my post Air Force future is secure.
Thank you again, but this time for doing the things that many of us chose not to do.
Until then, my 480rwhp/535rwtq Vipertruck will have to do.
Ya' think?
In a straight line the Black Series will be a disappointment compared to that .... unless you're trailing 5,000 lbs.
Just wait until the first 180 degree turn in the Black Series!