Mini Cooper Austin and Morris Mini talk, and the 2001-2006 Mini and Mini S, 2007 to present Mini and Mini S

Helix Pulley and Sport springs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 12:00 PM
PerryT is on a distinguished road
Helix Pulley and Sport springs

I had my Cooper-S at Helix, in Philly yesterday for installation of their pulley and a set of h&r sport lowering springs. The pulley is everything as advertised..the car just kicks butt when you stomp on it.
I'd installed the Alta intake a month or so back and that was a great addition.
With the pulley it just made it that much faster.
The springs on the other hand were a great surprise. I was hesitant to fool with the suspension but these springs just make the car feel planted. Less roll in corners and as a plus it just looks way better . I was afraid of winding up with a buckboard ride, but this set up is a perfect balance, giving the car a true sports car feel without beating up the driver.
These are items the S should have had from the start..just do it <g>
Perry

Old 10-23-2003, 01:45 PM
Minibeast is on a distinguished road
Glad to hear you are enjoying the upgrades! The guys at Helix have been working hard to develop their reputation and it looks like they've added another happy camper!

Old 10-25-2003, 09:27 AM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
Perry,
I have been planning the pulley and suspension as well. I will be going with the Alta pulley, the Alta intake and the H-Sport springs qith the Koni adjustable shocks. I have so far added the Quicksilver exhaust and London Stainless header. I couldn't believe how much difference the header made!! Upgrades are great!!! And fun!!

Question. I have heard some horror stories concerning H&R springs lowering the car more than advertised. Did you have any problems with this concern?

Old 10-28-2003, 01:29 PM
PerryT is on a distinguished road
I went with the H&R sport. So far so good. The ride is perfect.
i was told a 1" drop..can't vouch because I didn''t measure.
I read some horror stories on some of the other spring/shock combo's, but nothing negative on this set up.
perry

Old 10-28-2003, 04:58 PM
tontobird is on a distinguished road
H & R Springs

Perry,

I have the H & R Springs and I agree with you, they give the car an incredibly different feeling. More "planted" as you say, I think that I feel more "one" with the car. As far as looks go, I'd say it changes the look of the MINI from "cute" to "sexy".

The problem that I have is that I couldn't get better than -2.9 camber on alignment, I was looking for -.75. It was recommended that I get rear lower adjustable control arms. I'll do that soon, as I am getting excessive wear on the insides of the rear tires. Could this mean that the lowering was more than it was supposed to be?

Will you be upgrading your shocks to go along with your new springs? I've read that lowering can place added stress on the stock shocks. The Konis that Ken mentioned seem to be a popular choice with the MINIs.

Old 11-02-2003, 10:53 PM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
My birthday is coming up and I added the H-Sports and some other goodies to my list.

After speaking with Randy at Webb Motorsports, he had nothing but good things to say about the H-Sports.